• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

G.I. Stealth Holster

derhammer

For CC (not that I'm old enough of course but when I am, and as info for others) - what do you think: http://www.ghostinc.com/category/gi_stealth/

It clips on your Picatinny rail and it basically is just a clip on the side of your gun, which you slide over your pants' waistband. Safe; unsafe? I am thinking I would put this on a Glock (so cocked and unlocked, but with three safeties of course). I doubt a Glock is just gonna go off, but is there something I don't know that makes a piece of nylon around your gun somehow safer than just clipping it to your jeans?

-derhammer

Last edited:

DreQo

State Researcher
...I doubt a Glock is just gonna go off, but is there something I don't know that makes a piece of nylon around your gun somehow safer than just clipping it to your jeans?

-derhammer

Trigger access. A holster should always cover enough of the firearm to completely prevent anything from entering the trigger guard. I personally wont carry a sidearm with an exposed trigger.

derhammer

Trigger access. A holster should always cover enough of the firearm to completely prevent anything from entering the trigger guard. I personally wont carry a sidearm with an exposed trigger.

Of course someone was going to say that; it had to happen. :D Well, this thing supposedly has "trigger deflectors," and also, on a Glock, there has to be direct rearward pressure on the trigger to get it to fire (embedded safety). Is anything in day-to-day activity really likely to result in direct rearward pressure on the trigger of your holstered firearm?

-derhammer

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I have used a clip similar to this on my PF-9 many times except it connected directly to the frame. I did not have any problems with it. That being said, the point made about an exposed trigger is a valid one. Calculate your risk and make a choice accordingly.

xxx.jakk.xxx

Of course someone was going to say that; it had to happen. :D Well, this thing supposedly has "trigger deflectors," and also, on a Glock, there has to be direct rearward pressure on the trigger to get it to fire (embedded safety). Is anything in day-to-day activity really likely to result in direct rearward pressure on the trigger of your holstered firearm?

-derhammer

Lol. I was actually going to mention the trigger thing right when this one popped up but I figured it would be beaten like a dead horse. As for the glock trigger, it really only protects for if just the tip of the trigger were to catch. If something were to catch the trigger (including the safety part) as you're putting it in your pocket or when it's already in there, it can cause it to go off. I don't really see this as a terrible danger on the hip for myself since when I'm holstering my IWB holster and going about daily life with it on my Hip, it wouldn't have the chance of anything entering the trigger area unless it was strong enough to pierce my pants in the first place. Though most of the time I carry at the 1 or 2 O'clock position and there is one thing at the 12 O'clock position that is the right shape for getting in a trigger guard... if you know what I mean...

... Wow... that last part I put just got my mind going crazy about ways that that.... thing... could discharge the firearm. Now I'm laughing a bunch. lol

DreQo

State Researcher
People who carry Glocks in a mode that does not cover the trigger NEVER have catastrophic discharges, so go ahead and get this "holster". It shouldn't be ANY problem...

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...ter-Accidentally-Shooting-Self-133851023.html

There's your answer. A holstered firearm is a safer (not safe, but safer) firearm than one essentailly out in the open. Leaving leather is a significant turning point when the gun either needs to be pointed in a safe direction, or on a target. A gun in a pocket or just hanging in your pants is basically already drawn - and probably not pointed in a safe direction.

A holster is, among other things, a safety. Yep, it holds your gun, but a propper one also provides a level of security and weapon retention. That little hook provides none of either.

Leverdude

Uhhh... that's all I needed to see. I think I'll get a more covering, proper holster. :D

-derhammer

Good decision. Another reason you want a holster is to protect the gun. Even in a holster they get stuff in them like lint, dirt & crud. Just shoved in your pants you'll be cleaning belly button fuzz out all the time. The Versa carry IMHO isnt a very good option for that reason. Also a good IWB holster seperates you from the gun, making it much more comfy & keeping sweat off of it. I like these, http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95&osCsid=6lmknpehgakb3qigvj7ric9234 or something similar.

DreQo

State Researcher
I like that CompTac but it looks a little bulky. What do you guys think of this one: http://www.elitesurvival.com/concealment-holsters/inside-the-waistband-clip-holster-iwb/

-derhammer

The comptac is the exact opposite of bulky. It is wider, so that it spreads the weight of the weapon over a wider area of your body. Think of it like trying to balance a glass plate on your finger tip vs. your flat hand. Wider area = more comfortable and less wiggle. Additionally, having the belt suspended on either side of the weapon smoothes out the "print" of the gun through your cover garment. It is less noticeable when concealed.

The one you linked to will create one big gun-heavy lump on your hip.

Honestly, though, I learned all of this the hard way. I have a box full of holsters (including a clip style) that I have tried over the years. Asking advice is great and you should keep it up, but the best way to learn is to go ahead and try 'em out. You'll fall in love with the hybrid holsters eventually.

Take a look at Old Faithful holsters if you're concerned about cost. My lawyers swears by them, and I will be getting my next holster from them.

Dreamer

I like that CompTac but it looks a little bulky. What do you guys think of this one: http://www.elitesurvival.com/concealment-holsters/inside-the-waistband-clip-holster-iwb/

-derhammer

I've owned several nylon IWB holsters for a variety of firearms, and I have never carried any of them for more than a month. They are, to me, uncomfortable, sweaty, scratchy and they tend to move around too much.

For just a little more, you can get a leather IWB with a simple clip. I have several Galco Stow-n-Go holsters (Glock 36 and 1911 styles) and they are comfy, secure and durable. The stiffened mouth of these holsters also helps to make reholstering easier than most nylon rigs, which tend to collapse when you draw the gun...

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=3235&GunID=176

Bianchi makes similar models in a similar price range.

Both brands can be had for most models and makes, and have "street prices" of under $35 from various internet retailers.

If you're not going to go with something like a SuperTuck or an uber-spiffy rig like a Milt Sparks, I would highly recommend the Galco Stow-n-Go. They have served me well...

All that said, I DO have ONE nylon "pocket holster" from Blackhawk--a model "04". For what it is, it works well, and it fits BOTH my Glock and my Walther P22, but it is NOT my preferred mode of carry by any means...

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
DeSantis also makes a thin leather IWB holster called the Sof-Tuck.

A couple of other good holsters similar to the Comp-tac one would be a Crossbreed Super-Tuck or a Cleveland's Holsters Ugly Holster. I have owned both and found them to be relatively comfortable.

There are many choices out there, you will likely have to go through a few until you find the one that works for you.

Aknazer

Here is what I use as my IWB holster. I don't have any issues with it moving around or being scratchy, but I also carry at the 10-11 clock position (I'm a lefty) which does secure it more than if I were to carry it in the small of my back. I carry a full-sized XDm-40 and have taken it on walks and around town even in 90-100 degree weather with no real issues (only "issue" was that in board shorts the holster could move, but that is more of an issue with what I chose to wear that day and not a fault with the actual holster).

Leverdude

I have a couple simple leather clip IWB hplsters. If the gun is small and light enough, like my Ruger LC9 theyre fine. Once they get bigger those dont work well at all. Almost like hanging a brick on your belt. I thought I'd hate the CompTac, but in practice its been great. Another perk for me is it grabs the front of the trigger guard for retention, so I can use the same holster for my M&P9c with the full size M&P9 I'm intending to get.