• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Southeast KS OC

Linn

Hello Gents,

New to the forum here, but not totally new to OC. My question is, does anyone live down around Pittsburg, KS that OC's that could give me reaffirmation I am good to go on this one. I contacted an old friend, a KS AG approved instructor, and he informed me Pittsburg was good to go. I grew up here, went to college here before the Corps, but never saw anyone OC. I'm still Active Duty USMC, so by all means an altercation with local police resulting in a negative outcome is far from what I want. However, I want more to OC my weapon. I'll be home on leave for a couple weeks, obtaining CCH from said earlier friend, but in the meantime want to execute my right to bear arms. Basically, looking for someone to give a green light or all clear to OC down here. Gents, thank you for any advice and or wisdom. :confused:

Linn

OC report

The day went relatively well. Stepped out of the house around mid morning to visit my mother in-law, lot of people where she works, but not one cared. Her and the wife wanted Mexican for lunch so we ventured over to Cafe Del Rio. As I walked in the door lot of looks, but not much else. Mostly women that seem to be a little disgruntled that I was OC'ing. After lunch we toured the quaint little mall the restuarant resides in. Mostly double and triple takes and a couple dirty looks. Afterwards I made a run to Home Depot. No one directly said anything to me. My wife was in the car though, and she said a couple in their mid thirties roughly was behind me. She said the husband kept gesturing towards my weapon with his hand and then eventually the wife bowed her arms out and walked like she was large and in charge mocking me. I didn't really care, but my wife was pissed. I walk with a hitch ever since I was shot by a sniper in Afghanistan. Needless to say she didn't appreciate the couples attitude. Finally, I fueled up at the Casey's across the street. No incident, but one 'ole boy fueling up next to me asked me if I'd been harassed yet. He saw my EGA on the back of my wife's Xterra and asked if I was in the Corps. I replied yes and he replied with retired career Army. About the only individual with the courtesy to talk to me since I was OC'ing. There you are gents, probably a little to detailed, but I wanted to update you.

Last edited:

protias

It is always good to hear of good OC stories. I look forward to visiting my friends in Erie this summer.

marine0300

Pittsburg is open carry

I am assuming you open carried in Pittsburg. clink on the link to view the cities weapons ordinance. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?66780-Pittsburg-Open-Carry

In Kansas dealing with open carry if a city or county doesn’t specifically exclude OC it legal. That is why the more vague or lack of ordinance is the best! In that situation almost anything goes!

When you OC dress nice wear a belt shirt tucked in with a high on the hip holster. Just go about your normal daily routine and you should have no problems.

My alma mater is PSU where I lived for four years.

Happy OC'ing

Marine0300

Linn

I am assuming you open carried in Pittsburg. clink on the link to view the cities weapons ordinance. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?66780-Pittsburg-Open-Carry

In Kansas dealing with open carry if a city or county doesn’t specifically exclude OC it legal. That is why the more vague or lack of ordinance is the best! In that situation almost anything goes!

When you OC dress nice wear a belt shirt tucked in with a high on the hip holster. Just go about your normal daily routine and you should have no problems.

My alma mater is PSU where I lived for four years.

Happy OC'ing

Marine0300

Thank you firstly. I really have had no issues. From high school and my time at Pitt State I established a good rapport with a lot of the community. Friends and friends of the family own a few businesses here, so they know I'm a Marine and that I carry myself and my weapon with dignity. Oorah Gorillas!:banana:

Linn

Fort Scott

Well, as I researched all city ordinances and OCDO for OC regulations in Fort Scott I identified no real reason not to. I had asked PattonIII in a different thread as to his experiences, but received no reply. I assume he was busy. Nevertheless, I went up to Fort Scott to visit my extended family for a Memorial Day cook out. I went virtually everywhere in town running around with my uncles. Not one person or business said anything. Actually, the only inquiry I received regarding why I was carrying was from my family. My Uncle Mike asked first, and I explained to him the legalities, the place prohibited, and my position to OC, etc. His reply was simply put, "I didn't know any of that." He is an avid Hunter/Shooter and would gladly OC as well, however he didn't know he could. I felt very satisfied knowing I turned him onto potentially OC'ing himself and my family's receptiveness towards it since it was the first big family event I had done so. :cool: Overall, I think the day went well and I am glad that my steady regimen of OC'ing for the fist time has gone uninterrupted and without confrontation with LEO. I have a small story about Joplin, MO that I'll share later, hate typing. You Ladies and Gents have a good and safe Memorial Day.

CPL CLAUDIO PATINO IV, 22, of Yorba Linda, California, killed June 22, 2010 Sangin, AFG/ CPL ZACHARY C. REIFF, 22, of PRESTON, IA, killed November 21, 2011 Sangin,AFG/ LCPL ROBERT J. NEWTON, 21 CREVE COEUR, IL, killed August 23, 2010 Sangin, AFG

Semper Fidelis

PattonIII

Well, as I researched all city ordinances and OCDO for OC regulations in Fort Scott I identified no real reason not to. I had asked PattonIII in a different thread as to his experiences, but received no reply. I assume he was busy. Nevertheless, I went up to Fort Scott to visit my extended family for a Memorial Day cook out. I went virtually everywhere in town running around with my uncles. Not one person or business said anything. Actually, the only inquiry I received regarding why I was carrying was from my family. My Uncle Mike asked first, and I explained to him the legalities, the place prohibited, and my position to OC, etc. His reply was simply put, "I didn't know any of that." He is an avid Hunter/Shooter and would gladly OC as well, however he didn't know he could. I felt very satisfied knowing I turned him onto potentially OC'ing himself and my family's receptiveness towards it since it was the first big family event I had done so. :cool: Overall, I think the day went well and I am glad that my steady regimen of OC'ing for the fist time has gone uninterrupted and without confrontation with LEO. I have a small story about Joplin, MO that I'll share later, hate typing. You Ladies and Gents have a good and safe Memorial Day.

CPL CLAUDIO PATINO IV, 22, of Yorba Linda, California, killed June 22, 2010 Sangin, AFG/ CPL ZACHARY C. REIFF, 22, of PRESTON, IA, killed November 21, 2011 Sangin,AFG/ LCPL ROBERT J. NEWTON, 21 CREVE COEUR, IL, killed August 23, 2010 Sangin, AFG

Semper Fidelis

I am sorry Linn, I have not been on here much lately. I open carry every day and no one says a word. Here and there I get looks but nothing major and some times people ask if it is a real gun and if I am a cop. I simply tell them yes it is real and no I am not a cop Kansas is open carry. Then usually comes the questions from the guys lol I explain the local places that are off limits to carry and so on. I have seen videos on youtube with Wal-marts kicking people out for OC but not here they have never said a word. I can honestly say that not one place I have been into have they asked me to leave. If you are coming back this way shoot me an e-mail and mark it Open Carry or something along those lines so it catches my eye and I do not delete it lol s.officerpatton@yahoo.com