Thread: Ritzville open carry at Starbucks; best encounter yet

Lake Stevens, WA

Ritzville open carry at Starbucks; best encounter yet

After spending the weekend with the in-laws near Spokane, my wife and I headed back to the wetside this morning. We made it to Ritzville and the wifey decided that Starbucks sounded pretty good so we swung in for a quick stop. While we were walking in, I noticed a young man coming to the door just as we were walking in. He smiled and I held the door for him and then thought nothing of it. We got in line, ordered our drinks, and then just as we finished, the young man behind me called towards me and got my attention. He told me, "This might sound a little strange, but I really appreciate you open carrying and standing up for your right to bear arms. Rights are like muscles, we lose them if we don't exercise them." I wish that I said more than thank you and acknowledging what he was saying, but I was so taken aback by the sincerity of his words and how well thought out it was. And then he was gone. He was originally going next door to the Taco Del Mar and only came in, and waited several minutes, to thank me for exercising my rights. It really made my day. By far the best positive encounter I've had to date.

It looked like the young man was too young to carry yet (maybe 18?) and he took off too soon to ask, but hey, just in case ya come across this. Thanks! Your words meant a lot, it really made my day.

Pacific, WA
    That is so cool. I wish I had the sense to think that way at his age.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Whatcom County
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Everett, WA
    That's how I felt when I first OC'ed at Alderwood Mall. The guy working at Escape Outdoors store said something along the lines of that. Comments like that really do make a day