Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Closest gas to OR state line on I-84?

Closest gas to OR state line on I-84?

So, my wife & I are heading down to Phoenix in a couple weeks. We're planning to drive thru the NW tip of Oregon on I-84, which means OC or nuthin, and potential local restrictions. So I'm trying to avoid having to stop till we hit Idaho. Where's the closest gas station on this side of the state line? Tri-Cities?
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

You're probably better off asking in the Oregon forum, but as far as I know no place along I-84 outside the Portland area bans OC by non-permit-holders. So if you cross the Columbia via 205 (which you *should* do unless you need to stop in Portland for some reason) you'll be outside the Portland area pretty quickly. If you're worried about your driving range, just get gas as you approach Vancouver, you'll be good then for quite a few miles to the east.

You are perfectly OK to OC in eastern OR. I have driven that exact route several times myself. Keep the gun visible in the car if it is loaded and you can carry openly on foot. Just remember you are not allowed to pump your own gas The only places you cannot have a loaded firearm in OR without a CHL are in Portland metro and along the I-5 corridor.

Kennwick

395 and 27th Avenue there is an Exxon. This is about 25 miles from the border.

Use Google Maps

You can use Google maps to find types of businesses. Just type in "gas station" and slide the map around until you get where you intend to be. It looks like the closest stations to the OR border are in Kennewick.
    What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.

I believe in freedom, Mr. Lipwig. Not many people do, although they will, of course, protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.

The freedom to succeed goes hand in hand with the freedom to fail. - Going Postal, Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    So, my wife & I are heading down to Phoenix in a couple weeks. We're planning to drive thru the NW tip of Oregon on I-84, which means OC or nuthin, and potential local restrictions. So I'm trying to avoid having to stop till we hit Idaho. Where's the closest gas station on this side of the state line? Tri-Cities?
    Assuming you are coming down I-90 to I-82 you can get off I-82 at the 395 north exit about MM 112 and there are 2 stations on the left about a mile or less north. I have had no problems OCing in La Grande, Enterprise, Joseph, Ontario or Pendleton BTW. I have an OR permit.

www.gasbuddy.com

and there is an app for your phone as well, it shows where gas stations are and sorts by price....
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Kennwick

395 and 27th Avenue there is an Exxon. This is about 25 miles from the border.
    Stretch is correct. I've driven that distance many times and my Tacoma gets me into Idaho. However, in Oregon they pump your gas and it's often cheaper than in Washington.

I don't think anyone notices when I open carry in Eastern, OR... Maybe a tourist

I've driven the I-84 stretch of Eastern Oregon OC several times with no problem at any stops. Last time was last Friday. In Lubbock, Texas right now for a week before heading back. Texas is the only state I've had to conceal in so far this trip. OC'd everywhere else.
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.

Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by acmariner99 View Post
    Just remember you are not allowed to pump your own gas
    I didn't know that until recently...

A few years ago, just north of Portland, I decided to fill up... Not knowing that...

It was a non-event..

Oregon, where the government thinks you're too retarded to pump your own gas, but allows full auto weapons to anyone that wants one (and can pay for it)....

W T F.
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

They may claim that it's about safety, but it is very clearly an artificial job creation measure.

A mom-and-pop gas station convenience store, which otherwise would only require one employee on duty at a time, now must employee two, so one can pump the gas and one can watch the register and check out customers' indoor purchases.
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

The OR law about gas stations pumping gas, not customers....It was very much the "keep the serfs gainfully employed so we can collect more income tax". I remember when that happened. The argument was it wouldn't lower gas prices, it would just make a lot of Service Station attendents unemployed, and the evil greedy gas companies would pocket the savings.

BTW: You can OC in OR without an OR CHL...you just cannot conceal or enter public buildings without an OR CHL.

Oy, forgot all about the stupid gas thing. Just another reason NOT to stop there. I don't like other people touching my rides.

Thanx for the info guys. I figured local info was more reliable than random interwebz searches. So far none of the other state forums have been real helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    Oy, forgot all about the stupid gas thing. Just another reason NOT to stop there. I don't like other people touching my rides.

Ditto here. I also like to fill my tank to the top so I don't have to stop any more than necessary. The Oregon gas attendants are more concerned about making the pump showing "even dollars" that on occasion I've had the tank only filled to just over 3/4.

Now, when I tow my trailer through Oregon I just fill up several 5 gal containers with gas and re-fuel at any rest area I stop at in Oregon. Then I refill the containers and use the fuel for my generator when I get to my destination. Only good thing I can say is that Oregon typically has better road surfaces than WA, CA, or ID.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Only good thing I can say is that Oregon typically has better road surfaces than WA, CA, or ID.
    Crappy speed limits, though.
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

I usually gas up at the truck stops in Troutdale (just before entering the gorge) and I've OC'd every time without so much as a second glance.... even standing around in the lobby waiting to pay (I don't do plastic). Portland is the only place you need to worry about carry... I don't think theres any cities/towns east of the cascades that forbid loaded OC with the possible exception of Bend. I've even had interaction with a county mounty (I was a little over loaded) and he didn't even utter a peep about the 1911 on my hip.

Quote Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
    I usually gas up at the truck stops in Troutdale (just before entering the gorge) and I've OC'd every time without so much as a second glance.... even standing around in the lobby waiting to pay (I don't do plastic). Portland is the only place you need to worry about carry... I don't think theres any cities/towns east of the cascades that forbid loaded OC with the possible exception of Bend. I've even had interaction with a county mounty (I was a little over loaded) and he didn't even utter a peep about the 1911 on my hip.

.... you call that a LITTLE?!???

I've been wondering. How far does this "full service" law go? What if I don't want the attendent to touch my car or card?

Quote Originally Posted by DCKilla View Post
    I've been wondering. How far does this "full service" law go? What if I don't want the attendent to touch my car or card?
    To bad, go pound sand.
    Live Free or Die!

HOW DARE YOU NOT TRUST THE AGENT OF THE ALMIGHTY STATE TO FUEL YOUR CAR BETTER THAN YOU, WORM!

Yeah, a few months ago I went down to an outlet mall just south of Portland. I thought I'd have enough gas to make it in and out of OR but i wound up having to stop and get some... I saw people outside of their cars and what appeared to be a man filling his own car, so I got out and started. That guy was actually handling all 6 pumps at once and finally made it to me to tell me i was breaking the law...
    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Psalms 23:4

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." Benjamin Franklin

“It’s always open season on criminals in Mason County, and there’s no bag limit.” Sen. Tim Sheldon (D)

Molōn labe!

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    The OR law about gas stations pumping gas, not customers....It was very much the "keep the serfs gainfully employed so we can collect more income tax". I remember when that happened. The argument was it wouldn't lower gas prices, it would just make a lot of Service Station attendents unemployed, and the evil greedy gas companies would pocket the savings.

BTW: You can OC in OR without an OR CHL...you just cannot conceal or enter public buildings without an OR CHL.
    Honestly, if you look at Washington prices and Oregon prices they are about the same (At least in the Portland-Vancouver area).

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbait View Post
    Honestly, if you look at Washington prices and Oregon prices they are about the same (At least in the Portland-Vancouver area).
    How much more does Washington tax the gas though?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Ride a motorcycle.

Sent by Droid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast