• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Closest gas to OR state line on I-84?

Metalhead47

So, my wife & I are heading down to Phoenix in a couple weeks. We're planning to drive thru the NW tip of Oregon on I-84, which means OC or nuthin, and potential local restrictions. So I'm trying to avoid having to stop till we hit Idaho. Where's the closest gas station on this side of the state line? Tri-Cities?

kparker

You're probably better off asking in the Oregon forum, but as far as I know no place along I-84 outside the Portland area bans OC by non-permit-holders. So if you cross the Columbia via 205 (which you *should* do unless you need to stop in Portland for some reason) you'll be outside the Portland area pretty quickly. If you're worried about your driving range, just get gas as you approach Vancouver, you'll be good then for quite a few miles to the east.

acmariner99

You are perfectly OK to OC in eastern OR. I have driven that exact route several times myself. Keep the gun visible in the car if it is loaded and you can carry openly on foot. Just remember you are not allowed to pump your own gas :) The only places you cannot have a loaded firearm in OR without a CHL are in Portland metro and along the I-5 corridor.

Levi

Use Google Maps

You can use Google maps to find types of businesses. Just type in "gas station" and slide the map around until you get where you intend to be. It looks like the closest stations to the OR border are in Kennewick.

Jeff Hayes

So, my wife & I are heading down to Phoenix in a couple weeks. We're planning to drive thru the NW tip of Oregon on I-84, which means OC or nuthin, and potential local restrictions. So I'm trying to avoid having to stop till we hit Idaho. Where's the closest gas station on this side of the state line? Tri-Cities?

Assuming you are coming down I-90 to I-82 you can get off I-82 at the 395 north exit about MM 112 and there are 2 stations on the left about a mile or less north. I have had no problems OCing in La Grande, Enterprise, Joseph, Ontario or Pendleton BTW. I have an OR permit.

twoclones

Kennwick

395 and 27th Avenue there is an Exxon. This is about 25 miles from the border.

Stretch is correct. I've driven that distance many times and my Tacoma gets me into Idaho. However, in Oregon they pump your gas and it's often cheaper than in Washington.

I don't think anyone notices when I open carry in Eastern, OR... Maybe a tourist :)

ak56

Campaign Veteran
I've driven the I-84 stretch of Eastern Oregon OC several times with no problem at any stops. Last time was last Friday. In Lubbock, Texas right now for a week before heading back. Texas is the only state I've had to conceal in so far this trip. OC'd everywhere else.

TechnoWeenie

Just remember you are not allowed to pump your own gas :)

I didn't know that until recently...

A few years ago, just north of Portland, I decided to fill up... Not knowing that...

It was a non-event..

Oregon, where the government thinks you're too retarded to pump your own gas, but allows full auto weapons to anyone that wants one (and can pay for it)....

W T F.

ManInBlack

They may claim that it's about safety, but it is very clearly an artificial job creation measure.

A mom-and-pop gas station convenience store, which otherwise would only require one employee on duty at a time, now must employee two, so one can pump the gas and one can watch the register and check out customers' indoor purchases.

hermannr

The OR law about gas stations pumping gas, not customers....It was very much the "keep the serfs gainfully employed so we can collect more income tax". I remember when that happened. The argument was it wouldn't lower gas prices, it would just make a lot of Service Station attendents unemployed, and the evil greedy gas companies would pocket the savings.

BTW: You can OC in OR without an OR CHL...you just cannot conceal or enter public buildings without an OR CHL.

Metalhead47

Oy, forgot all about the stupid gas thing. Just another reason NOT to stop there. I don't like other people touching my rides.

Thanx for the info guys. I figured local info was more reliable than random interwebz searches. So far none of the other state forums have been real helpful :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amlevin

Oy, forgot all about the stupid gas thing. Just another reason NOT to stop there. I don't like other people touching my rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto here. I also like to fill my tank to the top so I don't have to stop any more than necessary. The Oregon gas attendants are more concerned about making the pump showing "even dollars" that on occasion I've had the tank only filled to just over 3/4.

Now, when I tow my trailer through Oregon I just fill up several 5 gal containers with gas and re-fuel at any rest area I stop at in Oregon. Then I refill the containers and use the fuel for my generator when I get to my destination. Only good thing I can say is that Oregon typically has better road surfaces than WA, CA, or ID.

Phssthpok

I usually gas up at the truck stops in Troutdale (just before entering the gorge) and I've OC'd every time without so much as a second glance.... even standing around in the lobby waiting to pay (I don't do plastic). Portland is the only place you need to worry about carry... I don't think theres any cities/towns east of the cascades that forbid loaded OC with the possible exception of Bend. I've even had interaction with a county mounty (I was a little over loaded) and he didn't even utter a peep about the 1911 on my hip.

Metalhead47

I usually gas up at the truck stops in Troutdale (just before entering the gorge) and I've OC'd every time without so much as a second glance.... even standing around in the lobby waiting to pay (I don't do plastic). Portland is the only place you need to worry about carry... I don't think theres any cities/towns east of the cascades that forbid loaded OC with the possible exception of Bend. I've even had interaction with a county mounty (I was a little over loaded) and he didn't even utter a peep about the 1911 on my hip.

.... you call that a LITTLE?!??? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

DCKilla

I've been wondering. How far does this "full service" law go? What if I don't want the attendent to touch my car or card?