• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interaction with restaurant owner

F350

I typically OC and let the chips fall where they may with business owners.....BUT...
The wife and I have found a GREAT little local joint that does a real good breakfast and have sorta adopted it as "our" weekend place. I have CCed there every time we went and have not seen any other OCer. But it is getting warm and OC would be more comfortable so I asked the owner if he would mind if I open carried. He sorta scrunched up his face like "Did you really just ask that"? He said "No problem, there are several bunches that come in armed, I don't have a problem with it at all".

I said "Well, your house, your rules. We like it here and I just didn't want to create a situation".

He said "Naw; I actually like it when guys carry in here".

I am really liking the western slope. Went to the Gunnison Gorge the other day and caught 10 rainbows with a fly rod, last week caught norther pike at Rifle Gap, if the weather clears as predicted Thur I'm going to Blue Mesa Res. and try my hand at lake trout, then this fall I'll try elk. WHAT AN AREA!!!

ZackL

Glad you're liking it and finding everything to be a very pleasant open carry area. We rarely have issues, but even this gives me hope that OC will be normalized in the relative near future. Also, if last year is anything to go by, elk should be pretty prevalent in Colorado this fall.

Would you mind sharing the name of the place you went to eat? I do occasionally get out to your side of the state and would love to give that guy some business.

F350

Glad you're liking it and finding everything to be a very pleasant open carry area. We rarely have issues, but even this gives me hope that OC will be normalized in the relative near future. Also, if last year is anything to go by, elk should be pretty prevalent in Colorado this fall.
AND- most the Management Areas here have unlimited over the counter tags so getting a tag is no problem

Would you mind sharing the name of the place you went to eat? I do occasionally get out to your side of the state and would love to give that guy some business.

http://www.randyssouthsidediner.com/ordereze/default.aspx Orchard Mesa location is where we go, for breakfast try Randy's South Side Omelet.

I see you're from the eastern flat lands, I was raised in the hills of S Indiana and the 3 years I lived in the Iowa I hated it, need me some "topography". Give me a shout when headed this way, grab a bite at least, if ya got more time, a fishing partner is always welcome.

Last edited:

F350

The owner (Randy) of the restaurant was always a gregarious sort, made all customers feel welcome; but since I asked about OC in his place and started OCing when we go in, we now seem to be buddies. We have been having brief chats when we go in, knows our preference for seating (picked up real fast I always face the door) and during lulls in business he comes over to talk a few seconds and knows knows the boundry between friendly and bothersome. It is almost like dropping by a buddies house for a cup of coffee now.

F350

What part? I'm originally from the metropolis of Terre Haute, lol. :cool:

Born in Indianapolis but spent most my time In Bloomington, skinny dipping in the stone quarries, roaming the hills-n-hollers around Brown County, shooting deer...... Good times.

You old enough to remember "Cherry Street"?

Brown Sound

Cherry Street?

You old enough to remember "Cherry Street"?

Well, is 47 old enough? Born and raised in TH, but I have not actively lived in Indiana since 1985 and then only in TH. There is a Cherry Street in TH, runs east-west through downtown or is this an Indy / Bloomington thing?

F350

Well, is 47 old enough? Born and raised in TH, but I have not actively lived in Indiana since 1985 and then only in TH. There is a Cherry Street in TH, runs east-west through downtown or is this an Indy / Bloomington thing?

NO... T.H. Cherry St was a nationally known "red light district"; when I was in HS (it was the end of the era) it was the destination once we got our drivers licenses; I have heard stories of WWII troop trains having armed guards at the station to keep the troops on the train during stops.

JamesB

NO... T.H. Cherry St was a nationally known "red light district"; when I was in HS (it was the end of the era) it was the destination once we got our drivers licenses; I have heard stories of WWII troop trains having armed guards at the station to keep the troops on the train during stops.

Cherry St. = East Colfax...now I get it.

mahkagari

Cherry St. = East Colfax...now I get it.

Depends on how you define red light. The street walkers are there, but I always see the nudie bookstores on South Broadway. The no-tell motels are on North Federal. Not sure where the topless clubs are concentrated.

Hey! Yeah, you! Put down that pen and paper!

Brown Sound

Aaahhh. Nope, not old enough, I guess. Most of the old 'Sin City' era stuff was gone by my early school years. I barely remember the adult theater in 12 points (north Lafayette) but the Idaho Club (8th and Hulman) was still open through my elementary years. I once had a very old landlord, and he claimed to have been the piano player at a speakeasy, that would become the Seabury Tavern on south 7th, just past Hulman. Yep, TH was considered a 'wide-open' town, back in the day.

Brown Sound

Depends on how you define red light. The street walkers are there, but I always see the nudie bookstores on South Broadway. The no-tell motels are on North Federal. Not sure where the topless clubs are concentrated.

Hey! Yeah, you! Put down that pen and paper!

When I was in tech school at Lowry AFB, in the 80's, I remember E. Colfax being pretty 'seedy'. Is Saturdays still there? I remember a lot of the guys going there. I also remember a place that had 'Arts' in the name?? We had an apartment on Yosemite between the bases north gate and Colfax. Lots sirens and cruising LEOs, from both Denver and Aurora, since Yosemite was the split. Doesn't seem near as bad now. As far as the no-tell motels, those are mainly old motor lodges from the 30's through the 60's. The major streets (in the Springs, too) were once highways, before interstates. So these places were once touristy little family motels on the edge of town out on the highway. Now these motor lodges have been swallowed up by sprawl and are very urban. Time moves on, eh? :cool: