Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: I'm new

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Steilacoom
    Posts
    13

    I'm new

    Hey gents,

    New guy here, seen the site whenever I need a quick question about where I can CC so I thought I'd create an account and start supporting OC.

    Been in the Army 7 years now, 2 years combat arms, 5 years intel. Currently working full time on JBLM. I am a gaurdsman who hasn't had a civi job in the past 5 years, I get the best of both worlds, everyone goes by first name and I get all the benes of full time Army.

    I did have one specific question, does anyone who OCs hold a security clearance? I would love to OC but I am worried about getting in trouble with the law (although I am an interrogator by trade so I am very socially adept) and having my clearance pulled for a misunderstanding.

    I own a Kel-tec PF9 for hot days, 13 9mm rounds smaller than my hand, a SW 669, and I just bought a STI Spartan .45 1911. I bought my wife a hi point .45 for xmas last year but she's not a citizen yet so she can't carry but we take it to the Marksman in Puyallup often. I've also got many more guns at my moms house, but after my dad died she re-married and my stepfather thinks they are his. One of these days I'm just going to take them because they belong to me. Twin sister peacemakers, black powder peacemaker, shotguns, old 45 lever action, shotguns and a xbow up there.

    Anyway, glad to see folks OC and mroe glad to see without issues here in the PNW.

    Look forward to meeting some of you folks sometime.

    Keith

  2. #2
    Regular Member decklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pacific, WA
    Posts
    764
    Welcome to the forum.
    To answer your question there are a few of us that have clearances. As long as you follow the law there will be no problems with your clearance or command. Remember Army policy is for soldiers to follow AR's as well as state law. There is no AR that says you cannot carry in the manner you choose. There is no state law prohibiting service members from carrying in the manner they choose to.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

  3. #3
    Regular Member DamonK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Ft. Lewis, WA
    Posts
    585
    Like Deklin said, follow the laws and you are good. Remember that you can't carry at all on Lewis. I don't remember what the policy is on Murray, but I know a few that do CC there. I personally have a Secret clearance, and I have no issues at all. And I just renewed mine. Welcome to the club:-)

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Steilacoom
    Posts
    13
    Thanks guys, I didn't want to dig into ARs right now at work o.0 Knew someone had to have already done it

    Yeah no CC on post, or OC. I forget what the vehicle is, IIRC it just has to be registered, outdoor rec gun shop knows all about it. I usually get my stuff shipped there too, no tax

    I always forget my weapon in my truck coming on post too, never been searched but I doubt they'd have an issue, I don't carry my unregistered stuff anyway

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member Jim675's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bellevue, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,037
    Welcome from a former 98CKP. And like they said, follow the law and enjoy.
    What unit are you in? I was in the 14th MI Bn but I believe it was shut down. The MI Brigade was the last post in my career.

  6. #6
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,991
    Quote Originally Posted by Usarmykr View Post
    Thanks guys, I didn't want to dig into ARs right now at work o.0 Knew someone had to have already done it

    Yeah no CC on post, or OC. I forget what the vehicle is, IIRC it just has to be registered, outdoor rec gun shop knows all about it. I usually get my stuff shipped there too, no tax

    I always forget my weapon in my truck coming on post too, never been searched but I doubt they'd have an issue, I don't carry my unregistered stuff anyway
    If they do search your car and find it, you will have some splainin to do. If you bring a gun on post there is no stopping at the PX on the way to the range, and it must be secured in a case with the ammo in a separate container. And according to another thread they must be registered, even if you live off post.
    (Retired SFC w/secret clearance)
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Steilacoom
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim675 View Post
    Welcome from a former 98CKP. And like they said, follow the law and enjoy.
    What unit are you in? I was in the 14th MI Bn but I believe it was shut down. The MI Brigade was the last post in my career.
    341st MI. Been all over in the brigade, 300th. Served with the 141st in Utah/Iraq, now with 341st. I'm attached to CENTCOM now though, sweet job too.

    golddigger,

    Yeah I know no carrying on post except to and from home/range. If they happen to stop me on one of those days I'd just tell them I'm on the way to the FFL to have it shipped. Have to register with the PMO too o.0

    Call me crazy as I make my living from the man, but I hate having registered weapons in the first place! I can never find the ones I want to buy locally though!

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Tacoma
    Posts
    189
    [QUOTE=golddigger14s;1757951]And according to another thread they must be registered, even if you live off post.[)/QUOTE]

    You do not have to register a firearm you don't take on base. You are simply required to obey the law. If you are in uniform, you'll have to look into the specifics. I know that you can go to the range and shoot but carrying in uniform off base I think is a no go.
    What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.

    I believe in freedom, Mr. Lipwig. Not many people do, although they will, of course, protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.

    The freedom to succeed goes hand in hand with the freedom to fail. - Going Postal, Terry Pratchett

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Steilacoom
    Posts
    13
    [QUOTE=Levi;1757992]
    Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    And according to another thread they must be registered, even if you live off post.[)/QUOTE]

    You do not have to register a firearm you don't take on base. You are simply required to obey the law. If you are in uniform, you'll have to look into the specifics. I know that you can go to the range and shoot but carrying in uniform off base I think is a no go.
    Correct, weapons in uniform are not allowed unless you are on duty + required to be carrying lol.

    And also correct, only need to register firearms that go on post. Mine aren't registered yet so that's my backfall if I get stopped with one. On my way to register!!!

  10. #10
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,991
    [QUOTE=Usarmykr;1758024]
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post

    Correct, weapons in uniform are not allowed unless you are on duty + required to be carrying lol.

    And also correct, only need to register firearms that go on post. Mine aren't registered yet so that's my backfall if I get stopped with one. On my way to register!!!
    Must be registered before bringing on post. You bring it into Waller Hall there will be more splainin!
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

  11. #11
    Regular Member decklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pacific, WA
    Posts
    764
    You are required to register all weapons per JBLM policy. Even if they are off post. Policy works this way, you can add to but you can't take away.
    Meaning they can require you to register off post weapons on post but cannot take away the registration requirement all together.
    If you are at Lewis then you should have been issued a blue book. It should be in there.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

  12. #12
    Regular Member DamonK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Ft. Lewis, WA
    Posts
    585

    Cool

    Being that you are a Guardsman, and not a Ft. Lewis soldier, you do not have to register all of your guns. Only the ones that you intend to bring onto Post. This is true, even if you work fulltime on Lewis. Even if they put you on title 10 orders. Trust me, been there, won that fight.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Metalhead47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Whidbey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,812
    Sigh. What a sad state of affairs we've come to when the most skillful, disciplined, and highly trained soldiers in the world can't be "trusted" to carry a firearm on a miltary base on US soil, surrounded by more skillful, disciplined, & highly trained soldiers... <facepalm>

    Anyways, noticed something in the OP... Usarmykr, you said your wife isn't a citizen yet so she can't carry. How is it she's not yet a citizen if you're married? Also, someone else chime in here, didn't WA do away with the whole "alien firearm licence" thing? I thought non-citizens were "allowed" to carry now?
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

  14. #14
    Regular Member decklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pacific, WA
    Posts
    764
    We had a guy who applied for a security clearance and it was denied because his wife was an illegal alien. When she was a toddler her parents came over from mexico illegally.
    From what I remember getting married to a citizen does not automtically make you one. It just indefinitely extends your visa. You still have to go through the naturalization process.
    I have no idea what the laws concerning carry for non-citizens are.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Steilacoom
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by DamonK View Post
    Being that you are a Guardsman, and not a Ft. Lewis soldier, you do not have to register all of your guns. Only the ones that you intend to bring onto Post. This is true, even if you work fulltime on Lewis. Even if they put you on title 10 orders. Trust me, been there, won that fight.
    Yeah, what they won't know won't hurt them anyway. No bluebook for me, I don't follow any Fort Lewis SOPs. I used to get told to take my patrol cap off all the time before they nixxed berets, and SGM or COL, I'd say, I'm not stationed here and don't have a beret with me.

    I worked for a 3 star general in Iraq for some time, and then did some more time as a BN S3 NCOIC, so I'm comfortable around rank

    Metal,

    I checked up on it because she wanted to buy me an XD40 for my birthday, and as far as I can tell it's a no no for aliens to carry. They need to have an alient resident weapon card or some jazz. She's in the process of citizenship now anyway so its not worth it.

    Citizenship isn't automatic for marriage, but it jumps you up in the line quite a bit. She's doing it through the army though because its free.

    But enough about policy talk!

    How often do you guys meet up to shoot?

  16. #16
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,991
    Quote Originally Posted by Usarmykr View Post

    But enough about policy talk!

    How often do you guys meet up to shoot?
    Set a date/time/location (not range 15) Capitol Forest maybe?
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

  17. #17
    Regular Member DamonK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Ft. Lewis, WA
    Posts
    585
    I'm all for Capitol Forrest. And I can bring some fun toys to, so just let me know.

  18. #18
    Regular Member hermannr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Okanogan Highland
    Posts
    2,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Usarmykr View Post
    Yeah, what they won't know won't hurt them anyway. No bluebook for me, I don't follow any Fort Lewis SOPs. I used to get told to take my patrol cap off all the time before they nixxed berets, and SGM or COL, I'd say, I'm not stationed here and don't have a beret with me.

    I worked for a 3 star general in Iraq for some time, and then did some more time as a BN S3 NCOIC, so I'm comfortable around rank

    Metal,

    I checked up on it because she wanted to buy me an XD40 for my birthday, and as far as I can tell it's a no no for aliens to carry. They need to have an alient resident weapon card or some jazz. She's in the process of citizenship now anyway so its not worth it.

    Citizenship isn't automatic for marriage, but it jumps you up in the line quite a bit. She's doing it through the army though because its free.

    But enough about policy talk!

    How often do you guys meet up to shoot?
    Ex military with TS clearance, personally I was an green card, became a citizen while in the military...

    As a green card you can have a pistol and even a CPL..RCW 9.41.171 "lawful perminent resident" is an exemption to alien possession prohibition. There are other exemptions, but the lawful perminent resident is the easiest.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Tacoma
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by Usarmykr View Post
    But enough about policy talk!

    How often do you guys meet up to shoot?
    I shoot frequently at Bull's Eye. Let me know when you'd like to shoot and give me shout. I'd love to hang out and kill paper. I'll even bring all my range toys and let you try them.
    What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.

    I believe in freedom, Mr. Lipwig. Not many people do, although they will, of course, protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.

    The freedom to succeed goes hand in hand with the freedom to fail. - Going Postal, Terry Pratchett

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Everett,WA
    Posts
    34
    You do not need to be a United States citizen in order to carry a firearm. You although must be a lawful permanent resident meaning you have a green card. And if she is legally your wife then I would hope she has a green card lol

    She could go apply for her Concealed Pistol License today and receive it within 30 days (if she is a Washington resident for more than 90 days) Dad and Uncle both have been carrying for years when the moved here from the PI and just a few years ago decided to become citizens

    FYI if you bought a weapon for the intent for someone not legally able to own a weapon then its a no no also. But just know she is able to own as long as she is not on a visa and has a green card
    Last edited by rlacsamana1989; 05-24-2012 at 09:28 PM.

  21. #21
    Regular Member cpgrad08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lakewood, WA
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by DamonK View Post
    Like Deklin said, follow the laws and you are good. Remember that you can't carry at all on Lewis. I don't remember what the policy is on Murray, but I know a few that do CC there. I personally have a Secret clearance, and I have no issues at all. And I just renewed mine. Welcome to the club:-)
    Carring ban with all military installations.
    I carry a Para Ordance 1911 .45 ACP.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Steilacoom
    Posts
    13
    I'll figure something out and make a thread soonish, pretty busy with finals (should have finished college when I was a kid) this weekend though

  23. #23
    Regular Member hermannr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Okanogan Highland
    Posts
    2,332
    Quote Originally Posted by cpgrad08 View Post
    Carring ban with all military installations.
    Not necessarily true. Intallation Commanders can (and do) make their own policy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •