• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reno's newest downtown venture is anti-gun

Frantic84

I think you are mistaken in your perceptions, Shoobee...also I am not sure why defense of ones life is being equated with an adventure sport...

This may be, as others have suggested, because you are from California, so I can't really put all the blame upon you for that.

By the way, you are more than welcome to carry in my church. :)

I am originally from California myself, Please don't think that all of us are that close minded and/or ignorant. I am also not saying that I am the majority either. I love my home state but the more I do and see here in Nevada the more I understand why many people do not like or are ashamed of California.

Last edited:

FallonJeeper

Well if you check your history, our forefathers did not bring guns to church, to weddings, or to funerals.

And if you were invited to someone's home for dinner you left your guns in the wagon.

This CCW thing is still sorting itself out.

And there are all of a sudden a lot of extremists. It happens in every adventure sport. The novices tend to fall off the wagon and become extremists.

You must have gotten your information from the movies and old westerns.

If YOU check your history, you would find that it was actually required by law, during the early years of this country to bring your gun to church.

From Colonial Firearm Regulation by Clayton E. Cramer
"Common to nearly every colony was the requirement that members of the militia (nearly all free white men) possess muskets and ammunition; the rest, such as Rhode Island and South Carolina, clearly assume it. Some of these statutes are explicit that militiamen are to keep their guns at home; others imply it, by specifying fines for failure to appear with guns at church or militia musters."

Last edited:

Frantic84

You must have gotten your information from the movies and old westerns.

If YOU check your history, you would find that it was actually required by law, during the early years of this country to bring your gun to church.

"Common to nearly every colony was the requirement that members of the militia (nearly all free white men) possess muskets and ammunition; the rest, such as Rhode Island and South Carolina, clearly assume it. Some of these statutes are explicit that militiamen are to keep their guns at home; others imply it, by specifying fines for failure to appear with guns at church or militia musters."

+1, Not to bug but do you have a reference? like a specific book or article/website. I would LOVE to learn more about this!

Last edited:

SoLasVegas

+1, Not to bug but do you have a reference? like a specific book or article/website. I would LOVE to learn more about this!

http://www.saf.org/journal/16/colonialfirearmregulation.pdf

Last edited:

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
Well if you check your history, our forefathers did not bring guns to church, to weddings, or to funerals.

And if you were invited to someone's home for dinner you left your guns in the wagon.

Just because in older times people went through mindless time wasting rituals doesn't mean that modern people should do the same.

Do you have any reasons based upon logic why someone should be required to disarm before going to funerals or weddings or every other home and business?

And there are all of a sudden a lot of extremists.

Yeah, most of the anti-gun extremists popped up after JFK was assassinated in a knee jerk reaction to it. Then all the extremists indoctrinated the children, and now that extreme way of looking at the world is "normal." There was a time when you could order guns through the mail, and blood did not run through the streets.

If an idea is not mainstream that does not make the idea any less credible. And just because a belief is widespread does not make it true.

At one point in time it was readily agreed by most that smoking had health benefits, and at one time people were punished for writing with the left hand.

In many parts of the world it is or was rude to wear hats in doors, or to use a knife in the left hand. Tradition does not imply good reason.

Last edited:

chrsjhnsn

I wake up in the morning and put my pants on then holster and gun.

If I go someplace that I am not legally allowed to carry I do my best to avoid, however it is incredibly stupid to leave my handgun in a car, its asking to be stolen.
The safest place for my gun is in a retention holster on my hip, living in a very rural area means hours long journeys for Church/shopping & I never know if I'm going to be in a good neighborhood or a bad one, if road construction will divert me or if an accicent will close down a highway.

Shobee, you are offensive and uneducated.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue! "

Last edited:

28kfps

I believe it may be time for a barrage of e-mails and letters to the CommRow. It worked on one lounge chain in Las Vegas. I agree with Shoobee carrying a firearm in shady areas is a good idea, should also carry in the low light, sunny, outside, and inside areas.
I also think the pastors that have been shot in their own church would have preferred the shooter was not carrying and the rest of the congregation was.
A would be bad guy in my church is going to be very surprised.

Logan 5

I have no problem with open carry. Nor do I have a problem with what shoobee said. But I sure did notice the folks that attacked shoobee of his/her opinion....

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Opinions are one thing.

Misleading historical factual errors are another, and need to be corrected. I don't think bad motives were imputed in so doing.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
I have no problem with open carry. Nor do I have a problem with what shoobee said. But I sure did notice the folks that attacked shoobee of his/her opinion....

Shoobee is free to have and state his opinions, and I am free to state my contrary opinions too. I did not attack Shoobee, I attacked his opinions.

I feel that arguments for gun control can not be left uncontested... Otherwise, when someone comes along without having formed an opinion, they will only see the argument for one side, but not the other.

Last edited:

wrightme

In the carry/issue states (states where they actually issue CCW permits, or states like Arizona where you have full freedom to carry without a permit), the etiquette and law of *where* to carry is still evolving.

In shady neighborhoods, of any kind, you definitely should. For a trip to a gas station, driving to work (and leaving your gun in the car), getting groceries, those are all trips where it makes sense to go armed, if the neighborhood is shady.

Of course there is a whole group of extremists who are advancing the extreme notion that one should always carry.

It is like in the adventure sports industry, where extremists evolve with their own extremist views as well. Skydiving, mountain climbing, scuba cave diving, these sports are fraught with danger and hence extremists evolve all over the place.

I would never bring a weapon into church, unless church was in a shady neighborhood.

I would never bring a weapon into work, unless the owners permit it, and it is a shady workplace, with no security.

I would never bring a weapon into a restaurant or bar or fitness facility, unless again that too was in a shady neighborhood.

Obviously I am not an extremist.

California is a may issue / but does not issue state. That means you just should not go into shady neighborhoods no matter why.

If this place is shady, and they won't let you carry, then don't go there.

If not, you don't need to carry.

Criminals will NOT ascribe to your 'gun-free-zone' preferences. IOW, those places you refuse to carry are exactly where you SHOULD carry; because the criminal will.....

wrightme

And there are all of a sudden a lot of extremists. It happens in every adventure sport. The novices tend to fall off the wagon and become extremists.

So, to you, someone who chooses to carry their method of self-defense everywhere they go is an extremist? And someone who chooses to disarm sometimes is a better person somehow?

wrightme

In shoobee's opinion, those who carry in places he would choose to not carry, are extremists. In other words, his opinion judged others, yet he should not be judged for his opinion?

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
Of course there is a whole group of extremists who are advancing the extreme notion that one should always carry.

[ . . . ]

California is a may issue / but does not issue state. That means you just should not go into shady neighborhoods no matter why.

If this place is shady, and they won't let you carry, then don't go there.

If not, you don't need to carry.

Yeah, everyone knows that crime only happens in "shady neighborhoods."

DVC

I suspect that many of the folks that were gunned down by madmen probably didn't think their lives would be in danger when they dined at Luby's Restaurant in Killeen, Texas. Same for the folks at McDonalds in San Ysidro, California.

Or at the massacre at Shoneys', in Anniston AL.

Oh, wait . . .that massacre NEVER HAPPENED, because of one "extremist" who thought he had to carry a gun everywhere he went. He stopped the killers before they could harm a single person.

DVC

Dunno about YOUR forefathers, but OUR forefathers here in the United States certainly did. "At least six colonies required people have guns with them at church. Church officials were required to check parishioners when they arrived for services to ensure they had a gun. Clergymen were required to have guns, too." -- John Lott

Perhaps before you tell us to check out history, YOU should check our history.