Thread: Illinois Carry while traveling?

Illinois Carry while traveling?

I'm traveling through Illinois while moving cross country. Is it legal to keep my guns in a car top luggage carrier, since they would be unloaded and inaccessible? Any help would be great!

I don't know about illinois law, but you should be able to travel in accordance with the federal FOPA... A luggage rack should be inaccessible to you, you can use a locked case, and don't stop for anything but gas until you're back in America.

You might have better luck getting a state specific response in the Illinois forum.

West Allis, WI
    Take the time to go around IL. However, if you absolutely have to, unload it, empty all magazines, lock ammunition, lock firearms separate and obey ALL traffic laws. If you are pulled over, be polite but firm on your rights (4A and 5A). Do not consent to any search. If they find your firearms (and they will), they will threaten to take you to jail because you do not have a FOID card, which is impossible to get if you are not an IL resident.

926A, see also Article VI, U.S. Constitution, Supremacy Clause

Section 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or
    regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any
    person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from
    transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to
    transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he
    may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place
    where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during
    such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the
    firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible
    or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such
    transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle
    without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the
    firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container
    other than the glove compartment or console.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

ShaunKranish from, ,
    Illinois is bad, but you don't need to be paranoid about traveling through either. I would say just have it unloaded, out of reach, and stored in a way that anyone looking in your windows from the outside (such as an officer) couldn't tell or have any suspicion that you have guns/ammo. What they don't know in Illinois is better as far as exercising your 2A rights goes. Don't try to be polite and volunteer information they don't need. Just decline to answer any questions if they ask you what you have in the car, and decline letting them search.

You will be fine.

If you can avoid Chicago, that's even better

Uvalde, Texas
    Being near St Louis, I have to travel over there quite a bit....what a hassle..

Lock your gun in a case, I have a safe.....and put your ammo in another container....put it in the trunk or way out of your reach..

Before I cross the Bridge...must stop and do this everytime.....then coming back..the opposite....not a good thing to be handling a firearm near E St Louis...
    Last edited by zekester; 05-25-2012 at 08:54 AM.
    GOD gave me rights!!!....The Constitutuion just confirms it!!