• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Illinois Carry while traveling?

popswheels

I'm traveling through Illinois while moving cross country. Is it legal to keep my guns in a car top luggage carrier, since they would be unloaded and inaccessible? Any help would be great!

armaborealis

I don't know about illinois law, but you should be able to travel in accordance with the federal FOPA... A luggage rack should be inaccessible to you, you can use a locked case, and don't stop for anything but gas until you're back in America.

You might have better luck getting a state specific response in the Illinois forum.

protias

Take the time to go around IL. However, if you absolutely have to, unload it, empty all magazines, lock ammunition, lock firearms separate and obey ALL traffic laws. If you are pulled over, be polite but firm on your rights (4A and 5A). Do not consent to any search. If they find your firearms (and they will), they will threaten to take you to jail because you do not have a FOID card, which is impossible to get if you are not an IL resident.

926A, see also Article VI, U.S. Constitution, Supremacy Clause

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode

Section 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or
regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any
person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from
transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to
transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he
may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place
where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during
such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the
firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible
or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such
transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle
without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the
firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container
other than the glove compartment or console.

SAK

Illinois is bad, but you don't need to be paranoid about traveling through either. I would say just have it unloaded, out of reach, and stored in a way that anyone looking in your windows from the outside (such as an officer) couldn't tell or have any suspicion that you have guns/ammo. What they don't know in Illinois is better as far as exercising your 2A rights goes. Don't try to be polite and volunteer information they don't need. Just decline to answer any questions if they ask you what you have in the car, and decline letting them search.

You will be fine.

If you can avoid Chicago, that's even better :)

zekester

Being near St Louis, I have to travel over there quite a bit....what a hassle..

Lock your gun in a case, I have a safe.....and put your ammo in another container....put it in the trunk or way out of your reach..

Before I cross the Bridge...must stop and do this everytime.....then coming back..the opposite....not a good thing to be handling a firearm near E St Louis...

Last edited: