• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Illinois Carry while traveling?

popswheels

I am aware that Illinois is quite strict on gun regulations. Can I transport unloaded guns through the state in my car top luggage carrier without getting hassled if stopped? Is that a legal way to transport through the state?

Motofixxer

I am aware that Illinois is quite strict on gun regulations. Can I transport unloaded guns through the state in my car top luggage carrier without getting hassled if stopped? Is that a legal way to transport through the state?

Generally speaking, your safe if you travel with it locked in a case with ammo in separate case. But I'm no expert on Illinois. But that is what I do when passing through.

lockman

State Researcher
Transport unloaded and in a case. The gun may be with the ammo as long as it is not in the gun or a loaded magazine inserted. Chicago requires unloaded, cased and not immediately accessible.

Mark 1911

Remember, they won't pull you over unless you give them a reason. If you obey the traffic laws and keep within a reasonable range of the speed limit, you probably won't get stopped. Good rule of thumb if you have guns in the car is to stay within 5mph of the limit (slower than you would drive without guns). You can control how you drive, but you can not control the unexpected. Never know when your car might break down, or if you might unfortunately be involved in an accident. If you need an ambulance ride, don't be surprised to find out later that your car was searched. If you're in an accident, or break down, the cops will likely be peering into your car, so make sure your gun cases and accessories are out of sight and the chances of having a gun-related conversation will be a lot less. Follow IL law and keep the guns in locked cases just in case they happen to be spotted by a trooper.

Your best bet is to avoid Illinois like the plague it is. Take the extra time to go around it, fly into an airport in a neighboring state. If your destination is unfortunately in the state of Illinois, be prepared to feel naked and a couple pounds lighter as you go about your business dis-armed.

Last edited: