• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I absolutely love this state!!!

c1ph3r88

A little background:

I am a North Carolina resident and I normally open carry wherever I go. I have only been carrying for about a little over 2 months but it is starting to feel natural. Well I have been well outside of my comfort zone since I am in Arlington for the week on business. I have to say that I was extremely worried about being hassled for carrying this close to DC but 2 recent events back to back have set me at ease.

1. I drove up yesterday morning and ran into a dilemma. The rental car I have doesnt have a dashboard that will let me set my weapon up there and the glove box is too small. So I had to place my weapon in the passenger seat with the portfolio, phone, papers, etc. I am just paranoid that stuff will move over it and somehow I will get hit for an illegally concealed weapon. As I am going up the highway worrying about being in new waters I pass a gentleman driving with a license plate that read "OPEN KRE". I have to say I was immediately put at ease.

2. I walked outside my hotel this afternoon looking for an ATM. As soon as I turned the corner, there was a police cruiser parked right next to the sidewalk with the officer just sitting in the car. I expected a confrontation once again due to my proximity to DC. I walked passed the cruiser, nodded my head towards the officer as I passed, and went on my way. Nothing. No 'Sir, may I have a word', nothing.

I have to say that I am so far very impressed with this state. Almost thinking about changing my residency. Almost.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
A little background:

I am a North Carolina resident and I normally open carry wherever I go. I have only been carrying for about a little over 2 months but it is starting to feel natural. Well I have been well outside of my comfort zone since I am in Arlington for the week on business. I have to say that I was extremely worried about being hassled for carrying this close to DC but 2 recent events back to back have set me at ease.

1. I drove up yesterday morning and ran into a dilemma. The rental car I have doesnt have a dashboard that will let me set my weapon up there and the glove box is too small. So I had to place my weapon in the passenger seat with the portfolio, phone, papers, etc. I am just paranoid that stuff will move over it and somehow I will get hit for an illegally concealed weapon. As I am going up the highway worrying about being in new waters I pass a gentleman driving with a license plate that read "OPEN KRE". I have to say I was immediately put at ease.

2. I walked outside my hotel this afternoon looking for an ATM. As soon as I turned the corner, there was a police cruiser parked right next to the sidewalk with the officer just sitting in the car. I expected a confrontation once again due to my proximity to DC. I walked passed the cruiser, nodded my head towards the officer as I passed, and went on my way. Nothing. No 'Sir, may I have a word', nothing.

I have to say that I am so far very impressed with this state. Almost thinking about changing my residency. Almost.

Glad you're enjoying it!
As an admirer of NC, I think you should start the ball rolling there and change some of those laws. It's Virginia's sister and I hate to see it tarnished.

c1ph3r88

Ironically I just found out that my boss is a huge 2A supporter and is a member on these forums and many more. So I am looking to get a little more involved.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Welcome! I OC in NC frequently, though I certainly don't like SOME of your laws (banks, parades, colleges, anywhere with paid admission ...). I also conceal more in NC than I do here, to "preserve the domestic tranquility" at my parents' house sometimes.

We're VERY fortunate that DC laws STOP at the DC border, and just being "close" isn't enough to tarnish us THAT much. Though some in Arlington would have it otherwise <grin>.

papa bear

hey CPHR, it's nice to be able to go to a restaurant with out having to worry about weather you are breaking the law or not. NC is about a year or two behind VA. except for that brandishing thing. be sure not to point your finger at anybody while you are up there :D

@TESS don't know what you mean about banks, we have always had the right to OC there. but , recently got the privilege to CC there

zoom6zoom

The rental car I have doesnt have a dashboard that will let me set my weapon up there and the glove box is too small.
Any reason to not just leave it in your holster?
I've never understood why anyone would want to put their gun on the dash (or any place where it has the opportunity to move about). You can keep it loaded inside a "secured" container, so your briefcase is just fine, too.

c1ph3r88

@ Tess

Thanks!!! They did just recently change the whole carry thing in NC in banks. You can now open carry while in a bank, just can't CC. Other than that, yeah the rest is a little aggravating. I am happy I can at least carry though. After all, I could be back in NY again...

@ papa bear

Funny story. I actually went out to dinner and they handed me a wine menu. I was thinking 'well I have to go disarm now' and then I realized that was NC only. Made me rather happy.

@ zoom6zoom

I guess it is a habit from carrying in NC. I don't dare keep it holstered while driving since if I do get pulled it can be portrayed as a concealed weapon. And the whole 'store it in a secured container/glove box/etc' is a new concept to me. All I knew about was the glove box. I have a holster that I can use in my personal vehicle that fits on the dashboard perfectly so it is what I am used to.

hammer6

@ Tess

Thanks!!! They did just recently change the whole carry thing in NC in banks. You can now open carry while in a bank, just can't CC. Other than that, yeah the rest is a little aggravating. I am happy I can at least carry though. After all, I could be back in NY again...

@ papa bear

Funny story. I actually went out to dinner and they handed me a wine menu. I was thinking 'well I have to go disarm now' and then I realized that was NC only. Made me rather happy.

@ zoom6zoom

I guess it is a habit from carrying in NC. I don't dare keep it holstered while driving since if I do get pulled it can be portrayed as a concealed weapon. And the whole 'store it in a secured container/glove box/etc' is a new concept to me. All I knew about was the glove box. I have a holster that I can use in my personal vehicle that fits on the dashboard perfectly so it is what I am used to.

Do you not have a license to carry it concealed?

c1ph3r88

As far as a concealed carry permit, I do not. I'm working on it in NC but they require the whole slew of paperwork, doctor visit, fingerprints, first born, etc. I am thinking about just getting a Florida non-resident while I am down there.

As for the Commonwealth, duly noted.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO. Welcome to Virginia.

I understand that needing to have your handgun "in plain sight" differs between the two jurisdictions, but could never wrap my head around the safety issue of putting one on the dashboard, let alone on the seat. I have no experience to go by but suspect you would draw attention here in Virginia with a handgun sliding around on your dashboard.

Thanks to a lot of hard work by a lot of folks, cops seem to generally understand that folks carrying just like they do are not BGs.

Next time you are headed north of your border let us know in advance so someone can see if a meet&greet can be set up. (Just beware of the hidden agenda of seeing if you are good enough to entice you to move here permanently.[/conspiratorial whisper])

--- Tangentially - Poppa Bear, would you please keep your finger out of that pie! The judge said it is completely legal.:p

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
As far as a concealed carry permit, I do not. I'm working on it in NC but they require the whole slew of paperwork, doctor visit, fingerprints, first born, etc. I am thinking about just getting a Florida non-resident while I am down there.

As for the Commonwealth, duly noted.

Just Open Carry without a permit.
Permits are going to destroy our 2A rights.

chp2.jpg

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I LOVES me some CATDADDY Carolina Moonshine - but your liquor stores are posted, too (at least the ones I've been in).

So I usually just have my parents pick some up a day or three before we go there, then I reimburse them. Everybody's happy.

Thanks for the info on the banks. I have never had occasion to go into a bank while there, so I hadn't refreshed my memory on that point. Thanks for the correction.