Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chinese Company buys AMC Movie Theaters--will it impact Carry Rghts?

Chinese Company buys AMC Movie Theaters--will it impact Carry Rghts?

http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/...ain/55106114/1

Both partners stressed they plan no changes to the AMC brand, management and day-to-day operations. For the U.S. movie-goer, the AMC experience will change "not at all," insisted Gerry Lopez, CEO and President of AMC, except for an increase in renovations to upgrade some theaters.
    They say there will be no changes in "day to day operations" but we know how THAT goes when foreign companies in gun-hating nations buy up US businesses.

Almost EVERY mall in the US is owned by one of three different real estate management companies--two British and one French--and we're ALL familiar with those annoying "gun busters" signs that are all-too-common on mall entrances...

In NC, this won't effect us--we have a statutory prohibition against carry in movie theaters on the books. But I'm curious to see how this new ownership might impact carry rights in theaters in other parts of the country.

You can be pretty sure that law-abiding citizens aren't allowed to carry in theaters in China. Will Wang Jianlin, Chairman and President of Wanda. A Communist Party member who sits on the nation's top advisory council — and one of the richest people in China, decide to force Chinese-style disarmament on his new property here in the US, under the guise of "private property rights"?

Time will tell.

Perhaps it's time for OCers and CCers to look into streaming video, NetFlix, and online content delivery.

Keep your eyes open folks, and VOTE WITH YOUR WALLETS...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Who goes to movie theatres anymore except video pirates?

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeV View Post
    Who goes to movie theatres anymore except video pirates?
    I agree.
    Last time I was in a movie theater was in 94. Too expensive to get in, the food is too expensive and the sound level caused hearing loss.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper1 View Post
    I agree.
    Last time I was in a movie theater was in 94. Too expensive to get in, the food is too expensive and the sound level caused hearing loss.
    Not to mention in the last 10 years 99% of the movies coming out have been complete sh*t.

Also, didnt China just buy some huge American bank this past week?

Our country is being sold out to a potentially hostile communist regime.
    Unbelievable.
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson

Oh, I dunno. I went to the theaters to watch Avengers, and was really glad I did. For once in a long time, the theater was more than half-packed, and we were all thoroughly enjoying ourselves! Sure, the total bill was $17 for the experience ($6 matinee', $3.50 bucket of popcorn, and $7 cola).

It's worth it every once in a blue moon.

As for OC, I don't OC in theaters, so I don't really care. So long as I can CC there, I'm good. If they start posting, I'll stop going altogether.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Oh, I dunno. I went to the theaters to watch Avengers, and was really glad I did. For once in a long time, the theater was more than half-packed, and we were all thoroughly enjoying ourselves! Sure, the total bill was $17 for the experience ($6 matinee', $3.50 bucket of popcorn, and $7 cola).

It's worth it every once in a blue moon.

As for OC, I don't OC in theaters, so I don't really care. So long as I can CC there, I'm good. If they start posting, I'll stop going altogether.

Hell, if you enjoyed yourself seeing that movie then god love you.
    Personally, Im sick and god damn tired of all these comic book movies coming out.

I just wish there were films still being made that are intelligent, cutting edge and intellectual.

These comic book movies are nothing more than cheap entertainment. Not art.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    Personally, Im sick and god damn tired of all these comic book movies coming out.

I just wish there were films still being made that are intelligent, cutting edge and intellectual.

But but.... there's no money in that...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbait View Post
    But but.... there's no money in that...
    LOL You're 100% correct.

Movies now are all about the toys, video games, t-shirts and other trinkets being sold.

If they do ban guns it will be one more reason for me to not go to the movies. Excluding this past month where I've seen four movies and am waiting on another to come out (I'm TDY and there isn't much else to do besides things like movies, drinking, or computer games in my hotel room), I average MAYBE one movie a year. In fact prior to this TDY I can't even remember when or what the last movie I saw in the theater was (I think it was "Deathly Hallows pt1" but I'm not positive).

I'm pretty sure most or all AMC, and all chain, theaters already have gunbuster signs, so what's to change?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I'm pretty sure most or all AMC, and all chain, theaters already have gunbuster signs, so what's to change?
    That's exactly right paramedic70002. AMC has already banned their customers from carrying tools for self defense for years. Maybe the purchase of this company by foreigners who've lived under an oppressive government will result in positive changes to the restrictions posed currently by AMC. I know I've had foreign co-workers look at me like I have 3 eyes when I tell them about certain businesses posting and enforcing "No Guns" restrictions. I think they soon realize that just because our governments may not prohibit the exercise of human freedom, doesn't mean that every person here does the same.

Thankfully here we have a privately owned drive-in movie theater. The owner condones open carry. Plus its $7 for adults and $4.50 for kids IIRC. For that you get to see two current released movies from the privacy of your own vehicle. I've met the owner and hes a really great guy!

Dreamer and all the rest of you -

I am more than disappointed in you. First of all for even trying to suggest that you have any "right" to carry on private property. I suppose because of the rhetoric being thrown around it really is neccessary to remind you that "rights" are what you have in relation to the government, not in relation to private property owners. (Yes, in certain circumstances the government (read SCOTUS) has stepped in and said that even private property owners cannot deny certain rights just because it is private property. But so far SCOTUS as not extended the right to keep and bear arms to the same status/stature as they did for "equal protection" when striking down the "separate but equal" stuff.) Second, I am disappointed in you all for elevating the right of a private property owner who happens to be a foreign national to the level of a global conspiracy to disarm American citizens. Some (all?) of you probably need to loosen your aluminum foil hats. [Would that real tin foil was still available for you to use in shaping your hats.]

I think it is neccessary to point out that you folks did not jump on the conspiracy bandwagon when Cracker Barrel, for example, decided to enforce a no-firearms policy. Or Waffle House. Or AMC Theaters before they were bought by the Chinese.

Do you really need to be encouraged to brush the Cheetos dust off your chests and come up out of the basement for some sunshine and fresh air?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

I agree with you Skidmark - except in cases like NC

It's not up to the theater owners whether or not I can carry while seeing a movie. That decision was made by the state on everyone's behalf.
    "In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain

I don't bother with pragmatic statistics while discussing my constitutional rights. The issue is far less complex, to me. Free men should be able to act like free men.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    I think it is necessary to point out that you folks did not jump on the conspiracy bandwagon when Cracker Barrel, for example, decided to enforce a no-firearms policy.
    When did CB change their policy? I eat there all the time and I've never noticed a sign.
    "In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain

I don't bother with pragmatic statistics while discussing my constitutional rights. The issue is far less complex, to me. Free men should be able to act like free men.

Skid, I know all about the spurious argument of "corporate private property" and the attempts to equate establishments that exist SOLELY to court public traffic, intercourse and commerce with a private home, and I find such arguments to be illogical, unreasonable and spurious.

My stance is based on a fundamental disagreement with the definition of "private property" and it's associated "rights".

Technically, then, by your definition of "private property", you should have no issue with Fairfax, Richmond or Norfolk banning carry in city-owned parks or sidewalks, because those properties are owned by the CORPORATIONS that constitute those cities, and therefore are, technically private property. The only difference is that these "corporations" do no issue stocks, and their boards of directors don't have to listen to their shareholders, or accept sareholder votes on internal rules and policy...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

@Smith45acp - Cracker Barrel began enforcing No Guns sometime around the middle of last year IIRC. Tey do not need signs - just someone to tell you that "you cannot bring that in here".

@Dreamer - If playing that game makes you happy, have at it. The rest of the world will merrily crush you. On a happier note, I think you might want to delve a bit deeper into the reason government entities (cities and counties) are corporations.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

@Dreamer - If playing that game makes you happy, have at it. The rest of the world will merrily crush you. On a happier note, I think you might want to delve a bit deeper into the reason government entities (cities and counties) are corporations.

It's primarily because elected governments can only legitimately claim "sovereign immunity" if they have the "protective shield" of the "corporate veil", and so "officials" cannot be held personally liable for financial, legal or moral misconduct of themselves or their minions.

I'm sure there are other excuses that they give in the schoolbooks, but these are the real reasons. Municipal incorporation is nothing more than a CYA tactic for organizations that know they will attract (and promote, and protect) criminals into their highest ranks.
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

The Chinese are not like the Brits and French, they don't care about US liberty one way or the other. All they care about is making money; if they think banning weapons will help business they will do it in a heart beat, if they think leaving it up to the laws of the state or local managers then that will be done. Likely they won't even think to ban firearms.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    The Chinese are not like the Brits and French, they don't care about US liberty one way or the other. All they care about is making money; if they think banning weapons will help business they will do it in a heart beat, if they think leaving it up to the laws of the state or local managers then that will be done. Likely they won't even think to ban firearms.
    Just curious, what makes you think the Brits or French give a damn about US liberty?
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

Well since Skidmark brought it up, I'll ask a question that has absolutely nothing to do with prevailing law, and speaks entirely to "common sense."

What has more weight? Human rights (right to life/self defense) or property rights?

Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
    Just curious, what makes you think the Brits or French give a damn about US liberty?
    I've never heard of a chinese or asian version of Soros (yes I know he's not french or british, but he's still European). I have heard of quite a few other progressive European groups that try to influence us.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Well since Skidmark brought it up, I'll ask a question that has absolutely nothing to do with prevailing law, and speaks entirely to "common sense."

What has more weight? Human rights (right to life/self defense) or property rights?
    Weight? As in case law supporting the notion? How about we start with asking where Human Rights cases are argued?

As I recall, Human Rights are the provence of the International Court - unless we win another war and set up a special tribunal.

And just to muddy the water further, should we address the notion that Human Rights are addressed via the Constitution whereas property rights are addressed by civil case law?

Comparing apples to avocados will turn into a very messy endeavor once we open them up to see how the mechanisms work.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Weight? As in case law supporting the notion? How about we start with asking where Human Rights cases are argued?

As I recall, Human Rights are the provence of the International Court - unless we win another war and set up a special tribunal.

And just to muddy the water further, should we address the notion that Human Rights are addressed via the Constitution whereas property rights are addressed by civil case law?

Comparing apples to avocados will turn into a very messy endeavor once we open them up to see how the mechanisms work.

stay safe.
    Weight as in "common sense" or if you wish, in the heart. I am NOT trying to argue a court case. Just sayin' that in my PERSONAL OPINION, the human right to self defense trumps the private property right of someone who welcomes the public onto their property, usually for the purpose of financial gain FROM said public.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    But I like comic book movies!

There are. Try the TV series Life (2007). One of my favorite movies is Hopscotch with Walter Matthau. Another is To End All Wars (2001), with Keifer Sutherland, about prisoners of war enlisted by the Japanese to build the Railroad of Death. Finally, there's The Way Back (2010), about a band of Siberian Labor Camp escapees making their way across Siberia and through China.

Just because I like the movie Kick Ass doesn't mean I'm a walking labotomy when it comes to the finer points of life.

You're absolutely right. The key word here is "entertainment," in that they're still fun to watch. I wouldn't call football "art," either, but I still enjoy watching it on occasion.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast