• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chinese Company buys AMC Movie Theaters--will it impact Carry Rghts?

Dreamer

http://www.usatoday.com/money/media...mpany-buys-amc-movie-theater-chain/55106114/1

Both partners stressed they plan no changes to the AMC brand, management and day-to-day operations. For the U.S. movie-goer, the AMC experience will change "not at all," insisted Gerry Lopez, CEO and President of AMC, except for an increase in renovations to upgrade some theaters.

They say there will be no changes in "day to day operations" but we know how THAT goes when foreign companies in gun-hating nations buy up US businesses.

Almost EVERY mall in the US is owned by one of three different real estate management companies--two British and one French--and we're ALL familiar with those annoying "gun busters" signs that are all-too-common on mall entrances...

In NC, this won't effect us--we have a statutory prohibition against carry in movie theaters on the books. But I'm curious to see how this new ownership might impact carry rights in theaters in other parts of the country.

You can be pretty sure that law-abiding citizens aren't allowed to carry in theaters in China. Will Wang Jianlin, Chairman and President of Wanda. A Communist Party member who sits on the nation's top advisory council — and one of the richest people in China, decide to force Chinese-style disarmament on his new property here in the US, under the guise of "private property rights"?

Time will tell.

Perhaps it's time for OCers and CCers to look into streaming video, NetFlix, and online content delivery.

Keep your eyes open folks, and VOTE WITH YOUR WALLETS...

jeeper1

Who goes to movie theatres anymore except video pirates?
I agree.
Last time I was in a movie theater was in 94. Too expensive to get in, the food is too expensive and the sound level caused hearing loss.

Sig229

I agree.
Last time I was in a movie theater was in 94. Too expensive to get in, the food is too expensive and the sound level caused hearing loss.

Not to mention in the last 10 years 99% of the movies coming out have been complete sh*t.

Also, didnt China just buy some huge American bank this past week?

Our country is being sold out to a potentially hostile communist regime.
Unbelievable.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Oh, I dunno. I went to the theaters to watch Avengers, and was really glad I did. For once in a long time, the theater was more than half-packed, and we were all thoroughly enjoying ourselves! Sure, the total bill was $17 for the experience ($6 matinee', $3.50 bucket of popcorn, and $7 cola).

It's worth it every once in a blue moon.

As for OC, I don't OC in theaters, so I don't really care. So long as I can CC there, I'm good. If they start posting, I'll stop going altogether.

Sig229

Oh, I dunno. I went to the theaters to watch Avengers, and was really glad I did. For once in a long time, the theater was more than half-packed, and we were all thoroughly enjoying ourselves! Sure, the total bill was $17 for the experience ($6 matinee', $3.50 bucket of popcorn, and $7 cola).

It's worth it every once in a blue moon.

As for OC, I don't OC in theaters, so I don't really care. So long as I can CC there, I'm good. If they start posting, I'll stop going altogether.

Hell, if you enjoyed yourself seeing that movie then god love you.
Personally, Im sick and god damn tired of all these comic book movies coming out.

I just wish there were films still being made that are intelligent, cutting edge and intellectual.

These comic book movies are nothing more than cheap entertainment. Not art.

Dogbait

Hell, if you enjoyed yourself seeing that movie then god love you.
Personally, Im sick and god damn tired of all these comic book movies coming out.

I just wish there were films still being made that are intelligent, cutting edge and intellectual.

These comic book movies are nothing more than cheap entertainment. Not art.

But but.... there's no money in that...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Aknazer

If they do ban guns it will be one more reason for me to not go to the movies. Excluding this past month where I've seen four movies and am waiting on another to come out (I'm TDY and there isn't much else to do besides things like movies, drinking, or computer games in my hotel room), I average MAYBE one movie a year. In fact prior to this TDY I can't even remember when or what the last movie I saw in the theater was (I think it was "Deathly Hallows pt1" but I'm not positive).

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I'm pretty sure most or all AMC, and all chain, theaters already have gunbuster signs, so what's to change?

That's exactly right paramedic70002. AMC has already banned their customers from carrying tools for self defense for years. Maybe the purchase of this company by foreigners who've lived under an oppressive government will result in positive changes to the restrictions posed currently by AMC. I know I've had foreign co-workers look at me like I have 3 eyes when I tell them about certain businesses posting and enforcing "No Guns" restrictions. I think they soon realize that just because our governments may not prohibit the exercise of human freedom, doesn't mean that every person here does the same.

Bowesmobile

Thankfully here we have a privately owned drive-in movie theater. The owner condones open carry. Plus its $7 for adults and $4.50 for kids IIRC. For that you get to see two current released movies from the privacy of your own vehicle. I've met the owner and hes a really great guy!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Dreamer and all the rest of you -

I am more than disappointed in you. First of all for even trying to suggest that you have any "right" to carry on private property. I suppose because of the rhetoric being thrown around it really is neccessary to remind you that "rights" are what you have in relation to the government, not in relation to private property owners. (Yes, in certain circumstances the government (read SCOTUS) has stepped in and said that even private property owners cannot deny certain rights just because it is private property. But so far SCOTUS as not extended the right to keep and bear arms to the same status/stature as they did for "equal protection" when striking down the "separate but equal" stuff.) Second, I am disappointed in you all for elevating the right of a private property owner who happens to be a foreign national to the level of a global conspiracy to disarm American citizens. Some (all?) of you probably need to loosen your aluminum foil hats. [Would that real tin foil was still available for you to use in shaping your hats.]

I think it is neccessary to point out that you folks did not jump on the conspiracy bandwagon when Cracker Barrel, for example, decided to enforce a no-firearms policy. Or Waffle House. Or AMC Theaters before they were bought by the Chinese.

Do you really need to be encouraged to brush the Cheetos dust off your chests and come up out of the basement for some sunshine and fresh air?

stay safe.

Smith45acp

I agree with you Skidmark - except in cases like NC

It's not up to the theater owners whether or not I can carry while seeing a movie. That decision was made by the state on everyone's behalf.

Smith45acp

I think it is necessary to point out that you folks did not jump on the conspiracy bandwagon when Cracker Barrel, for example, decided to enforce a no-firearms policy.

When did CB change their policy? I eat there all the time and I've never noticed a sign.

Dreamer

Skid, I know all about the spurious argument of "corporate private property" and the attempts to equate establishments that exist SOLELY to court public traffic, intercourse and commerce with a private home, and I find such arguments to be illogical, unreasonable and spurious.

My stance is based on a fundamental disagreement with the definition of "private property" and it's associated "rights".

Technically, then, by your definition of "private property", you should have no issue with Fairfax, Richmond or Norfolk banning carry in city-owned parks or sidewalks, because those properties are owned by the CORPORATIONS that constitute those cities, and therefore are, technically private property. The only difference is that these "corporations" do no issue stocks, and their boards of directors don't have to listen to their shareholders, or accept sareholder votes on internal rules and policy...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
@Smith45acp - Cracker Barrel began enforcing No Guns sometime around the middle of last year IIRC. Tey do not need signs - just someone to tell you that "you cannot bring that in here".

@Dreamer - If playing that game makes you happy, have at it. The rest of the world will merrily crush you. On a happier note, I think you might want to delve a bit deeper into the reason government entities (cities and counties) are corporations.

stay safe.

Dreamer

@Dreamer - If playing that game makes you happy, have at it. The rest of the world will merrily crush you. On a happier note, I think you might want to delve a bit deeper into the reason government entities (cities and counties) are corporations.

It's primarily because elected governments can only legitimately claim "sovereign immunity" if they have the "protective shield" of the "corporate veil", and so "officials" cannot be held personally liable for financial, legal or moral misconduct of themselves or their minions.

I'm sure there are other excuses that they give in the schoolbooks, but these are the real reasons. Municipal incorporation is nothing more than a CYA tactic for organizations that know they will attract (and promote, and protect) criminals into their highest ranks.

Daylen

The Chinese are not like the Brits and French, they don't care about US liberty one way or the other. All they care about is making money; if they think banning weapons will help business they will do it in a heart beat, if they think leaving it up to the laws of the state or local managers then that will be done. Likely they won't even think to ban firearms.

ManInBlack

The Chinese are not like the Brits and French, they don't care about US liberty one way or the other. All they care about is making money; if they think banning weapons will help business they will do it in a heart beat, if they think leaving it up to the laws of the state or local managers then that will be done. Likely they won't even think to ban firearms.

Just curious, what makes you think the Brits or French give a damn about US liberty?