• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Springs Newbie

SpringsColt

Hello Open Carry Colorado. I've been lurking in the shadows for a while here, but decided to step on out and introduce myself, being as how I see such a fine and literate bunch of folks hanging out here. I've been a Colorado Springs resident for the last ten years or so, after doing a tour in Japan in the US Navy. Have been working in one of the ER's in town since I got out (you've got a 50/50 chance guessing that one!), and have noticed that things don't really seem to be getting better around here do they? Grew up in a gun family, so I decided recently to purchase a Colt 1911 Officers, which hasn't left my side since, save for at work, which is indeed "protected" by a metal detector. (insert as much Sarcasm as is needed to digest that last one....)

Have been OC'ing around Colorado Springs for the past few months, never had a problem with anyone stopping me. The most attention I got was from a couple of maybe 10-12 year old boys at the 8th St. Wal Mart. They ran to tell their parents, who had a slew of other kids piled in the cart and hanging on for dear life. They didn't pay me much attention. I plan on getting my CC at some point, but don't really spend time in placed where OC isn't really okay. I'm prepared to interact with anyone should they do approach me, much credit being due to the information I have garnered from the members here on this site. So in that vein, I thank you all.

See you in there.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Newbie!
Glad you decided to join this here herd. I just got myself a nice little 1911, and shot it last night. Felt terrific.
Anyhow, hope to see you at a meet and greet. Hopefully there will be one within a couple of weeks. Maybe I'll just go ahead and plan to host one and see if anybody turns up! LOL!

Welcome again, and carry on!
Blessings,
M-Taliesin

SpringsColt

Crime rates

What have you noticed in particular? Crime, property crime, theft and burglary have been dropping in the US since about 1993.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States

Crime might be dropping in the US, but I was simply stating that in my personal experience, working the night shift at the busiest ER in the state, that it's not getting any better out there. I know there are other statistics that show that home invasions and bank robberies are on the rise, and I know that from personal experience in Colorado Springs as well. Perhaps nation wide, things are getting better, but I live in downtown Colorado Springs, and I'm happy to be armed whenever I can be.

Maybe look into violent crime rates in States allow Open Carry vs states that do not. (Illinois)

Too, I think that each individual needs to assess their own personal needs as far as defense is concerned, and then become reliable and trustworthy operators of whichever mechanism they choose.

Cheers

SpringsColt

Howdy Newbie!
Glad you decided to join this here herd. I just got myself a nice little 1911, and shot it last night. Felt terrific.
Anyhow, hope to see you at a meet and greet. Hopefully there will be one within a couple of weeks. Maybe I'll just go ahead and plan to host one and see if anybody turns up! LOL!

Welcome again, and carry on!
Blessings,
M-Taliesin

I saw your 1911, and I think she's a beaut! Can't wait to see a range report! And I'd be more than happy to attend a meet and greet...talk about some like minded individuals! I'll bet they are a blast! (no pun intended) I have learned so much from the people who post here, and it would be great to actually get to shake some hands. Let us all know, I know I am good for a couple of attendees at least, even if it is just me and my daughter Scarlett.

Cheers!

since9

Campaign Veteran
Crime might be dropping in the US, but I was simply stating that in my personal experience...

The 2011 murder rate in Colorado Springs was the highest it's been in decades, if not ever. Great reason to carry!

Meanwhile, violent crime and crime overall have been more or less steadily dropping since 1993, as mahkagari stated.

mahkagari

working the night shift at the busiest ER in the state, that it's not getting any better out there. I know there are other statistics that show that home invasions and bank robberies are on the rise,

The 2011 murder rate in Colorado Springs was the highest it's been in decades, if not ever. Great reason to carry!

Thanks. Fun hearsay: I heard that the reason bank robberies are on the rise is that the BGs have figured out that it has the same penalty as 7-11 stickups but with lower risk and higher payoff.

since9

Campaign Veteran
So do you draw down on someone trying to rob you with a potato? "Drop your Spud or I'll shoot!"

Too funny....

Hmm... I'm not sure what I would do in the vicinity. It's still a robbery. I think I might simply observe the individual carefully, as well as the make, model, and lic plate of his vehicle. On the other hand, I might draw and say something like, "Ok, Mr. Potato Head -- kiss the dirt!"

Nah. Way too corny. Then again, it would be an interesting story!