Thread: New London Ordinance 14-11 that Banned Concealed Carry is History

New London Ordinance 14-11 that Banned Concealed Carry is History

After trying to deal with this issue with the prior administration that was on it's way out the door, I was able to work with the new city council on revised language that allows permit holders to carry concealed.

The language was drafted by the Administration Chair for the City, and then run past the council for New London.

Might I dare say that our CCDL "Is that Legal" pamphlet prompted the Investigator for the NLPD plead with me to get something done because they have been flooded with calls and emails over the past several years.

From Clark Vanderlyke that codes the ordinances for the city:

This revised ordinance will go into effect in 30 days. It will eventually be published in the codebook and on line. However, it is in effect in 30 days regardless of the publication date.

From the Administration Chair for New London:

A REVISED ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF NEW LONDON, CONNECTICUT CONCERNING CARRYING WEAPONS AND THE DISCHARGE OF FIREARMS.

WHEREAS, The City of New London wishes to revise an existing ordinance;

NOW THEREFORE, the Code of ordinances of the City of New London shall be amended by replacing the present language of Sec. 14-11 with the following:

Sec. 14-11. Carrying of weapons, discharge of firearms.

No person shall carry any weapon or discharge any firearm within city limits, unless specifically authorized within the limitations and provisions of an active permit from the State of Connecticut, or as otherwise authorized by law.

Thanks
    John J. Maynard
    Administration Chair
    New London City Council
    181 State Street
    New London, CT 06320

Carry On!
    Scott Wilson
    President CCDL, Inc.

Slight correction, the ordinance is still there, but the part that bans concealed carry is gone!

Great job!!!

Good work.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

We need your help. Sign up at http://ctcarry.com

Great job Scott! Guess CCDL will now have to change the pamphlets, heh.
    But the big question is...............
    will you still OC in New London?

Awesome

Last I knew New Brition CT is still a no firearms allowed. Correct?

Great job in New London!

Quote Originally Posted by BFDMikeCT View Post
    Last I knew New Brition CT is still a no firearms allowed. Correct?
    No concealed carry is far from 'no firearms allowed'...
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

Thumbs up New London Ordinance 14-11 that Banned Concealed Carry is History

Another step forward to freedom! thanks scott and CCDL!

I'd hold off on revising the pamphlets.....

We may be on New Britain soon. We have a couple weeks yet, but there may be movement there as well.

Great work Scott!!

Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

I will try to get a donation over to OCDO tonight when I get to my computer. You guys are awesome.

Reply From NLPD On 14-11

-------- Original Message --------
    Subject: RE: ccdl.us: Pamphlet Info Re: NL Carry
    Date: Thu, May 24, 2012 10:51 am
    To: "CCDL President" <president@ccdl.us>

I heard; thank you for contacting me.

It's nice to see citizens advocating for change. Congratulations on the culmination of what I am sure has been a lot of work on your part!

Respectfully,

Kerry L. Hibbs
    Police Secretary, Investigative Services Division
    New London Police Department
    New London, CT 06320
    Phone: (860) 440-6681
    Fax: (860) 437-6531

****ATTENTION: Please note, my name has recently changed. Mail sent to klynch@ci.new-london.ct.us will temporarily forward to my new e-mail. However, to ensure I continue to receive your messages, please update my e-mail in your Contacts list to khibbs@ci.new-london.ct.us. Thank you! ****

Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2012 10:47 AM
    To: Hibbs, Kerry

Good Morning Kerry,
    I was able to testify at the Administration committee and work with the council and the City Attorney and the ordinance modification was passed on consent. We will be modifying our "Is That Legal" pamphlet very soon. No more will be distributed with the current language, and we will do our best to pull any existing ones, but they are in gun shops and clubs all over the state, so that may take some time.
    In the meantime if you would be so kind as to inform any inquiring persons to the change that goes into effect 30 days from Tuesday's council meeting (05/21/12).
    The minutes from the meeting are not yet posted on the website for the city, so if you need verification, maybe contact the Council or even Clark Vanderlyke at the clerk's office.
    Here was the language that passed:
    NOW THEREFORE, the Code of ordinances of the City of New London shall be amended by replacing the present language of Sec. 14-11 with the following:

No person shall carry any weapon or discharge any firearm within city limits, unless specifically authorized within the limitations and provisions of an active permit from the State of Connecticut, or as otherwise authorized by law.

Best Regards,
    Scott Wilson Sr.
    President
    CCDL, Inc.
    www.ccdl.us

Date: Mon, April 02, 2012 3:17 pm
    Cc: <vicepresident@ccdl.us>, "Maynard, John"
    <JMaynard@ci.New-London.CT.US>

I completely understand your concern. Had I realized there was a request to change this still pending, I never would have taken up your time.

Thank you for your understanding.

Respectfully,

Kerry Lynch
    New London, CT 06320
    Phone: (860) 447-1481

Sent: Monday, April 02, 2012 3:15 PM
    To: Lynch, Kerry
    Cc: vicepresident@ccdl.us; Maynard, John

It is nice to know that the city may not enforce this ordinance. However, The Administration that that currently oversees New London's Laws and Public Safety is interpreting the law one way, but administrations can and do change. This is one reason a request for modification is relevant.
    This is certainly not the fault of the New London PD, or even the current City Council. As you can see in my attached statement in my prior email, we are looking for a simple modification of the language to the ordinance. Very simply, we would like the ordinance to reflect the exception to permit holders. If you or the administration can help us by having the City expedite this, we would greatly appreciate it. Our organization holds the men and women in blue up with the highest regard.
    Again, Thank You,
    Scott Wilson Sr.
    President
    CCDL, Inc.
    www.ccdl.us

Date: Mon, April 02, 2012 2:51 pm

My administration here has assured me that the permit IS the "authorization" to which the ordinance refers. No person lawfully carrying a gun with a valid permit has been cited for violation of this ordinance, that we know of.

Respectfully,

Kerry Lynch
    New London, CT 06320
    Phone: (860) 447-1481

Sent: Monday, April 02, 2012 2:49 PM
    To: Lynch, Kerry

Ordinance 14-11 is in fact a valid ordinance in New London's code. In fact, I have testified before the town council and this is slated for a hearing at some point before the Administration committee. I have communicated with the Chair of this committee as well as the President of the City Council on this matter.
    Please refer to Page 5 section A here:
    http://ci.new-london.ct.us/filestora...__Approved.pdf
    I assure you Kerry that once this ordinance is removed from the code, we will modify our pamphlet.
    I myself am a New London Resident and would like nothing more than to see this matter resolved. In the meantime, we feel it is our duty to inform people with the best possible information available so that they can follow the law and avoid hassles.
    Any questions, please do not hesitate

Best Regards,
    Scott Wilson Sr.
    President
    CCDL, Inc.
    www.ccdl.us

Subject: ccdl.us: Pamphlet Info Re: NL Carry
    Date: Mon, April 02, 2012 1:38 pm
    To: president@ccdl.us

This is an enquiry e-mail via http://www.ccdl.us/ from:
    Kerry Lynch <klynch@ci.new-london.ct.us>

Hello there,

I work for the City of New London, where part of my duties is to assist in the processing of pistol permit applications.

Lately, I have received numerous calls regarding information on a pamphlet put out by your organization regarding CT gun laws. The section under question is regarding the carrying of weapons in New London and New Britain. This is not accurate, and I request that you no longer publish this in your literature.

Please contact me via e-mail if you have any questions.

There is no ordinance or law against concealed carry.

Thank you working hard to change the ordinance.

Gotta love municipal employees.

Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

Again Scott Great Job!
    So much work goes into CCDL that most people could never understand the time and effort involved.

When we can bring big changes, like this to the laws/ordinances in the state, it makes me proud to be not only a member, but a founding member of CCDL!

Carry On!
    Last edited by Lenny Benedetto; 05-24-2012 at 02:57 PM.

It's good to see some change for the better. Not only that, but it will actually affect me directly since I live in the area and find myself in the city from time to time.

Good Job! Thanks for working to get the code revised.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Benedetto View Post
    Again Scott Great Job!
    So much work goes into CCDL that most people could never understand the time and effort involved.
    An ant moving a mountain? Am I close?

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    an ant moving a mountain? Am i close?
    exactly!

CCDL's Scott Wilson is No Friend of Open Carry

Sec. 14-11. - Carrying concealed weapons, discharging firearms.
    No person shall carry any concealed weapon in said city nor shall any person discharge any species of firearms in any street of said city, without authority of the council.
    (Ord. of 3-5-45, ß 9)

Why would you want to remove a unique, & what "could be" interrupted as safe haven clause for open carry, based on that ordinance. You need to stay away, from new Britain you Idiot. It giveís an OCíer confidence that if illegally detained, that town ordinance helps limit qualified immunity. There was 2 unique areaís, not any more. There not enforcing it, itís a mute point, ace in the pocket for OC, it says you cant conceal, You know this is an OPEN CARRY Thread, right??? Stay away from New Britainís, ordinance, it appears you have idle handís. Why donít you try getting some case law on the books, lobby all those supposed memberís you have that only signed there name one time, at some hearing, and donít ever have anything to do with you, and get them to give you some money to take on a case. Youíre an Idiot, & now a thorn in the side of open carry.
    Stay out of New Britain you Tard.

Really, we wan to go there?

1. The ordinance Scott worked on was labeled as such (and was OC friendly):

The amendment he was pushing for had no impact on citizens rights against any form of legal carry.

Furthermore, you are dead wrong about not having any issues in New Britain. We have another thread that is just from Memorial Day last week where we have an individual that was ticketed for OC in New Britain. As a 100 percent OC individual, I haven't had an issue...... yet. When it does, it does, but I still carry 100 percent legal in New Britain.

I want to use similar language in New Britain, sometimes, a career politician sneaks something in that wasn't intended (and I'm not saying this is happening here, I'm saying this based on my work at the legislature).

All being said, the attack is silly at best.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Good Citizen View Post
    Sec. 14-11. - Carrying concealed weapons, discharging firearms.
    No person shall carry any concealed weapon in said city nor shall any person discharge any species of firearms in any street of said city, without authority of the council.
    (Ord. of 3-5-45, ß 9)

Why would you want to remove a unique, & what "could be" interrupted as safe haven clause for open carry, based on that ordinance. You need to stay away, from new Britain you Idiot. It giveís an OCíer confidence that if illegally detained, that town ordinance helps limit qualified immunity. There was 2 unique areaís, not any more. There not enforcing it, itís a mute point, ace in the pocket for OC, it says you cant conceal, You know this is an OPEN CARRY Thread, right??? Stay away from New Britainís, ordinance, it appears you have idle handís. Why donít you try getting some case law on the books, lobby all those supposed memberís you have that only signed there name one time, at some hearing, and donít ever have anything to do with you, and get them to give you some money to take on a case. Youíre an Idiot, & now a thorn in the side of open carry.
    Stay out of New Britain you Tard.
    First off, you should have your posting privileges revoked for personally insulting me. However, I am a big boy and can deal with your claptrap nonsense.

Secondly, I did not write or help write any ordinance that bans concealed carry in New London. I and the organization that I am a part of stands for all lawful form of carry. Are you against citizens that wish to conceal their firearms? If so, you are exactly like the people opposed to open carry but from another direction. This is my one and only word to you, based on your apparent diminished intellectual capacity. I feel sorry for you, that you would want to mandate gun owners MUST open carry and not have a choice to carry as they wish.

Quote Originally Posted by KIX View Post
    Furthermore, you are dead wrong about not having any issues in New Britain. We have another thread that is just from Memorial Day last week where we have an individual that was ticketed for OC in New Britain. As a 100 percent OC individual, I haven't had an issue...... yet. When it does, it does, but I still carry 100 percent legal in New Britain.
    FYI - You might want to check the OP of that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    FYI - You might want to check the OP of that thread.
    Ha, I was having a busy mornin'.......

Jonathan