• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New London Ordinance 14-11 that Banned Concealed Carry is History

romma

After trying to deal with this issue with the prior administration that was on it's way out the door, I was able to work with the new city council on revised language that allows permit holders to carry concealed.

The language was drafted by the Administration Chair for the City, and then run past the council for New London.

Might I dare say that our CCDL "Is that Legal" pamphlet prompted the Investigator for the NLPD plead with me to get something done because they have been flooded with calls and emails over the past several years.

From Clark Vanderlyke that codes the ordinances for the city:

This revised ordinance will go into effect in 30 days. It will eventually be published in the codebook and on line. However, it is in effect in 30 days regardless of the publication date.

From the Administration Chair for New London:

A REVISED ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF NEW LONDON, CONNECTICUT CONCERNING CARRYING WEAPONS AND THE DISCHARGE OF FIREARMS.

WHEREAS, The City of New London wishes to revise an existing ordinance;

NOW THEREFORE, the Code of ordinances of the City of New London shall be amended by replacing the present language of Sec. 14-11 with the following:

Sec. 14-11. Carrying of weapons, discharge of firearms.

No person shall carry any weapon or discharge any firearm within city limits, unless specifically authorized within the limitations and provisions of an active permit from the State of Connecticut, or as otherwise authorized by law.

Thanks
John J. Maynard
Administration Chair
New London City Council
181 State Street
New London, CT 06320

Carry On!
Scott Wilson
President CCDL, Inc.

Mopar

Great job Scott! Guess CCDL will now have to change the pamphlets, heh.
But the big question is...............
will you still OC in New London? :)

KIX

I'd hold off on revising the pamphlets.....

We may be on New Britain soon. We have a couple weeks yet, but there may be movement there as well.

Great work Scott!!

Jonathan

romma

Reply From NLPD On 14-11

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: ccdl.us: Pamphlet Info Re: NL Carry
Date: Thu, May 24, 2012 10:51 am
To: "CCDL President" <president@ccdl.us>

I heard; thank you for contacting me.

It's nice to see citizens advocating for change. Congratulations on the culmination of what I am sure has been a lot of work on your part!

Respectfully,

Kerry L. Hibbs
Police Secretary, Investigative Services Division
New London Police Department
New London, CT 06320
Phone: (860) 440-6681
Fax: (860) 437-6531

****ATTENTION: Please note, my name has recently changed. Mail sent to klynch@ci.new-london.ct.us will temporarily forward to my new e-mail. However, to ensure I continue to receive your messages, please update my e-mail in your Contacts list to khibbs@ci.new-london.ct.us. Thank you! ****

Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2012 10:47 AM
To: Hibbs, Kerry

Good Morning Kerry,
I was able to testify at the Administration committee and work with the council and the City Attorney and the ordinance modification was passed on consent. We will be modifying our "Is That Legal" pamphlet very soon. No more will be distributed with the current language, and we will do our best to pull any existing ones, but they are in gun shops and clubs all over the state, so that may take some time.
In the meantime if you would be so kind as to inform any inquiring persons to the change that goes into effect 30 days from Tuesday's council meeting (05/21/12).
The minutes from the meeting are not yet posted on the website for the city, so if you need verification, maybe contact the Council or even Clark Vanderlyke at the clerk's office.
Here was the language that passed:
NOW THEREFORE, the Code of ordinances of the City of New London shall be amended by replacing the present language of Sec. 14-11 with the following:

Sec. 14-11. Carrying of weapons, discharge of firearms.

No person shall carry any weapon or discharge any firearm within city limits, unless specifically authorized within the limitations and provisions of an active permit from the State of Connecticut, or as otherwise authorized by law.

Best Regards,
Scott Wilson Sr.
President
CCDL, Inc.
www.ccdl.us

Date: Mon, April 02, 2012 3:17 pm
Cc: <vicepresident@ccdl.us>, "Maynard, John"
<JMaynard@ci.New-London.CT.US>

I completely understand your concern. Had I realized there was a request to change this still pending, I never would have taken up your time.

Thank you for your understanding.

Respectfully,

Kerry Lynch
New London, CT 06320
Phone: (860) 447-1481

Sent: Monday, April 02, 2012 3:15 PM
To: Lynch, Kerry
Cc: vicepresident@ccdl.us; Maynard, John

It is nice to know that the city may not enforce this ordinance. However, The Administration that that currently oversees New London's Laws and Public Safety is interpreting the law one way, but administrations can and do change. This is one reason a request for modification is relevant.
This is certainly not the fault of the New London PD, or even the current City Council. As you can see in my attached statement in my prior email, we are looking for a simple modification of the language to the ordinance. Very simply, we would like the ordinance to reflect the exception to permit holders. If you or the administration can help us by having the City expedite this, we would greatly appreciate it. Our organization holds the men and women in blue up with the highest regard.
Again, Thank You,
Scott Wilson Sr.
President
CCDL, Inc.
www.ccdl.us

Date: Mon, April 02, 2012 2:51 pm

My administration here has assured me that the permit IS the "authorization" to which the ordinance refers. No person lawfully carrying a gun with a valid permit has been cited for violation of this ordinance, that we know of.

Respectfully,

Kerry Lynch
New London, CT 06320
Phone: (860) 447-1481

Sent: Monday, April 02, 2012 2:49 PM
To: Lynch, Kerry

Ordinance 14-11 is in fact a valid ordinance in New London's code. In fact, I have testified before the town council and this is slated for a hearing at some point before the Administration committee. I have communicated with the Chair of this committee as well as the President of the City Council on this matter.
Please refer to Page 5 section A here:
http://ci.new-london.ct.us/filestor...uncil_Minutes__October_17__2011__Approved.pdf
I assure you Kerry that once this ordinance is removed from the code, we will modify our pamphlet.
I myself am a New London Resident and would like nothing more than to see this matter resolved. In the meantime, we feel it is our duty to inform people with the best possible information available so that they can follow the law and avoid hassles.
Any questions, please do not hesitate

Best Regards,
Scott Wilson Sr.
President
CCDL, Inc.
www.ccdl.us

Subject: ccdl.us: Pamphlet Info Re: NL Carry
Date: Mon, April 02, 2012 1:38 pm
To: president@ccdl.us

This is an enquiry e-mail via http://www.ccdl.us/ from:
Kerry Lynch <klynch@ci.new-london.ct.us>

Hello there,

I work for the City of New London, where part of my duties is to assist in the processing of pistol permit applications.

Lately, I have received numerous calls regarding information on a pamphlet put out by your organization regarding CT gun laws. The section under question is regarding the carrying of weapons in New London and New Britain. This is not accurate, and I request that you no longer publish this in your literature.

Please contact me via e-mail if you have any questions.

KIX

There is no ordinance or law against concealed carry.

Thank you working hard to change the ordinance.

Gotta love municipal employees.

Jonathan

Lenny Benedetto

Again Scott Great Job!
So much work goes into CCDL that most people could never understand the time and effort involved.

When we can bring big changes, like this to the laws/ordinances in the state, it makes me proud to be not only a member, but a founding member of CCDL!

Carry On!

Last edited:

SickPythons

It's good to see some change for the better. Not only that, but it will actually affect me directly since I live in the area and find myself in the city from time to time.

Good Citizen

CCDL's Scott Wilson is No Friend of Open Carry

Sec. 14-11. - Carrying concealed weapons, discharging firearms.
No person shall carry any concealed weapon in said city nor shall any person discharge any species of firearms in any street of said city, without authority of the council.
(Ord. of 3-5-45, § 9)

Why would you want to remove a unique, & what "could be" interrupted as safe haven clause for open carry, based on that ordinance. You need to stay away, from new Britain you Idiot. It give’s an OC’er confidence that if illegally detained, that town ordinance helps limit qualified immunity. There was 2 unique area’s, not any more. There not enforcing it, it’s a mute point, ace in the pocket for OC, it says you cant conceal, You know this is an OPEN CARRY Thread, right??? Stay away from New Britain’s, ordinance, it appears you have idle hand’s. Why don’t you try getting some case law on the books, lobby all those supposed member’s you have that only signed there name one time, at some hearing, and don’t ever have anything to do with you, and get them to give you some money to take on a case. You’re an Idiot, & now a thorn in the side of open carry.
Stay out of New Britain you Tard.​