• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Roadtrip to California

acmariner99

Watch the 12 round mag

Technically it is illegal to bring a magazine with a capacity greater than 10 rounds into CA. If that concerns you, just disassemble the mag. (It is not illegal to import magazine parts into CA, but importing a high cap mag is illegal) -- it's CA, don't try to rationalize it. Transport the firearm unloaded and locked and any ammunition separately from the firearm with both out of immediate reach. That is the only way to be perfectly legal in CA.

Last edited:

Nebulis01

Technically it is illegal to bring a magazine with a capacity greater than 10 rounds into CA. If that concerns you, just disassemble the mag. (It is not illegal to import magazine parts into CA, but importing a high cap mag is illegal) -- it's CA, don't try to rationalize it. Transport the firearm unloaded and locked and any ammunition separately from the firearm with both out of immediate reach. That is the only way to be perfectly legal in CA.

Thanks, I may just take a trip and buy a 10rounder or two, one can never have too many mags

DocWalker

I just stay out of communist areas of the world that don't trust their citizens and disarms them so they can't defend themselves or resist when they decide to commit genicide.

Nebulis01

I just stay out of communist areas of the world that don't trust their citizens and disarms them so they can't defend themselves or resist when they decide to commit genicide.

Fiancee's brother in law is stationed down in Vista, CA and we're helping them move down. I have no plans to ever reside in there :)

Decoligny

You can transport your handgun unloaded with a full 10 round magazine locked inside a secure container. Unloaded in CA means no rounds in the handgun. The ammunition does not have to be in a seperate container from the gun and the container does not have to be out of reach. It can be sitting on the seat next to you, or even sitting on your lap.

Unloaded, locked in a secure container. Meets legal transport requirements.

acmariner99

You can transport your handgun unloaded with a full 10 round magazine locked inside a secure container. Unloaded in CA means no rounds in the handgun. The ammunition does not have to be in a seperate container from the gun and the container does not have to be out of reach. It can be sitting on the seat next to you, or even sitting on your lap.

Unloaded, locked in a secure container. Meets legal transport requirements.

Thanks for the clarification. I tend to treat the DPRK with an abundance of caution. Being a LAC there is near impossible, so I just prefer to avoid it altogether. The high cap mag law is rather annoying and to my knowledge no one has been prosecuted for violating it, but I wouldn't want to be the first.