Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "there is a maturity to knowing when you shouldn't carry" -self proclaimed instructor

"there is a maturity to knowing when you shouldn't carry" -self proclaimed instructor

Seriously check this out. This guy in the comments section. The comments by "Gary Trew".

http://www.postcrescent.com/comments...trol-over-guns

He's a "firearms instructor" and believes that a "person mature enough to carry a gun should understand when not to carry it". For example, churches and polling places he says there is no reason to carry there. lol
    Last edited by bmwguy11; 05-22-2012 at 08:44 PM.

Thumbs up

LOL when I voted in our primaries on the 15th, I carried in my polling place...which is also a church!!!

This is the third or fourth time I've done so since living here. It's been different poll volunteers every time (trending elderly), but none have ever had a problem with my weapon. Once, while my back was turned and I was filling out the ballot, I overheard one of the younger shrews say, "Ugh, look, he brought his gun!" I just finished my selections, turned around, gave her a big ol' smile, stuck my "I Voted" sticker on my holster, and walked out the door.

Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

He sounds like the teetotallers on this site.

Herr Heckler Koch
    Quote Originally Posted by madison.com
    GAB attorney Mike Haas wrote in a memo he prepared for Tuesday's board meeting that elections appear to qualify as special events under the law, ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisc. Stats
    § 943.13(1e)(h) “Special event” means an event that is open to the public, ...
    Non-starter. Many members of the public are disenfranchised, "illegals", foreign visitors, disbarred felons, and minors.

The only places one shouldn't carry is where the law will not allow it.

Then most of those places the law should be changed to allow carry.

I carry at church and my polling place.

And I have been a firearms instructor for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwguy11 View Post
    Seriously check this out. This guy in the comments section. The comments by "Gary Trew".

http://www.postcrescent.com/comments...trol-over-guns

He's a "firearms instructor" and believes that a "person mature enough to carry a gun should understand when not to carry it". For example, churches and polling places he says there is no reason to carry there. lol
    Riiiight, because no one has ever needed a gun at one of those places before

Unfortunately my polling place has had guns and weapons banned from the premise, I'd carry to the polling place too were it allowed. That's what i get for living in Menomonie, tons of hunting land and three stores in my city sell guns, but they're barred from practically every government building. I blame the mayor and the city council.
    Join Wisconsin Carry today, defend your rights!

Wisconsin Carry member since March, 2011

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson

I agree 100% There is NO need whatsoever to carry in a church. Churches are places of sanctuary where nothing bad ever happens.

Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    I agree 100% There is NO need whatsoever to carry in a church. Churches are places of sanctuary where nothing bad ever happens.
    No no you have it wrong. HIS church there is no need to carry. As he said, if he felt his church were not safe, he'd just find a different church.

He can see into the future and confidently predict that his church will never have a madman enter it with ill intent? Can he come pick some lotto numbers for me?

This is a friend of the family that was randomly killed by a homeless woman just a few days ago.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...y-joy-passion-

To me the ONLY places you should be restricted from defending yourself is in secure locations with on site police / armed security presense, although I still realize that they have no duty to protect me.

If it is a building with limited access points that require people to pass through metal detectors and there are on site armed personnel to quickly react to a criminal then I am ok with not carrying. Examples include - inside the state capital (at least in IL), inside of court buildings, the secure area of an airport, etc... Things that are NOT included, i.e. I should be able to carry, are schools, churches, polling places, etc...

Unless you are going to take the responsibility of trying to prevent armed people from entering and providing personnel to respond to the situation then I should be able to protect myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
    I am always armed when I traverse the streets with the homeless on them near my workplace during my commute.

Red herring though.
    Not sure if sarcastic, troll, or just uninformed.

Anyway, it's not a red herring to give clear examples of why someone would want to carry in a church.

Here is where a conceal carrying citizen stopped a madman from continuing a killing spree in a church.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Co...Life_shootings

Thumbs down

This viewpoint is the newly evolving extreme, and as such it will probably go through a lot of evolution in the coming decades of the CCW era.

I believe you should leave your gun in the car whenever --

- you go to church

- weddings

- funerals

- federal buildings

- state govt buildings

- courts

- police stations

- visiting another family's home for dinner

- family reunions

- banks

- bars

- workplace

Need I say more?
    Yeah, please say why you support only allowing criminals to carry in those places?

I can't tell if you're trolling, or legitimately short a few brain cells.
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    There is a maturity to knowing that I need to be ready to protect myself and my family wherever we have a rigth to be.

Herr Heckler Koch
    This viewpoint is the newly evolving extreme,
    Male Bovine feces! Barry Goldwater taught the value of this extant extremism in 1998 when I was 50 y.o. and three years retired.

Shoobee, didn't I see you on TV; with your head attached to the business-end of a Chi-town cop's nightstick???

Attachment 8498
    Last edited by Lurchiron; 05-23-2012 at 08:27 PM.
    Bale da Hay

"Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"

Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

Havamal (Bellows translation)

This viewpoint is the newly evolving extreme, and as such it will probably go through a lot of evolution in the coming decades of the CCW era.

I believe you should leave your gun in the car whenever --

- you go to church

- weddings

- funerals

- federal buildings

- state govt buildings

- courts

- police stations

- visiting another family's home for dinner

- family reunions

- banks

- bars

- workplace

Need I say more?
    I carry in every place listed above except those not allowed by law or posted.

As for churches, we have concealed carry classes IN church. I have had literally hundreds of church members attend concealed carry class in their church and now have their CWL. Even Pastors carry, some wear their gun openly.

As for the other places you listed....yep...bad guys NEVER take a gun into banks, bars, workplaces, other peoples homes (can you say "Home Invasion"?) or to funerals or weddings. Every place you listed has had criminals take their guns to and kill many people.
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

—John F. Kennedy

Exclamation Notice; 21st Century has arrived !!!

I CC @ church, strategically located near entrance & am aware of surroundings, even during prayer, hymns & Communion.

God knows my heart is there to worship and is my Final Judge, but I don't have a * Bulls Eye * on my back if something should begin to transpire that I see as a threat to those I Love and care deeply about in the Sanctuary.

My opinion on this issue is strictly a matter of personal choice and I am in No way encouraging or attempting to Force my views upon Anyone who is uncomfortable with how I see it to be.

Not open to discussion or debate, this is just the facts that I'm more than satisfied to live with.

Peace & RKBA 4Ever !

scott, if you saw my other posts you would know that I was being sarcastic there. Of course bad things happen in church.

My pastor knows how I roll.

scott, if you saw my other posts you would know that I was being sarcastic there. Of course bad things happen in church.

My pastor knows how I roll.
    Sorry for that oversight, I knew you were, just kinda 4got to state the obvious @ 02:30 +/-.

Keep Rolling !!! ;<)
    Last edited by scott58dh; 05-24-2012 at 05:55 PM.

I know when I shouldn't carry. That would be in the shower. I just don't feel like cleaning my firearm for an hour every single day. Otherwise, I will have one on me or near me when I can legally carry.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Herr Heckler Koch
    Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    I know when I shouldn't carry. That would be in the shower. I just don't feel like cleaning my firearm for an hour every single day. Otherwise, I will have one on me or near me when I can legally carry.
    Ho ho ho. The Navy used to teach (before The Army of One) that you could wash it as fast as you want as long as you are alone. But an "hour"?

McX
    today is a simply lovely day out, and i have many stops to make, and many errands to run, so i shall maturely open carry the day through. thusly spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    Ho ho ho. The Navy used to teach (before The Army of One) that you could wash it as fast as you want as long as you are alone. But an "hour"?
    LOL! I don't know about you Herr, but back in the day on board those little black tubes of comfort we were only allowed 3 minutes of running water in the shower and that shower head had a flow rate of about 1 gallon a minute. Clean!? Nah! LOL.

I wear my G36 whenever I legally am able.

Carry On!
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

—John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast