• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oc in fremont ohio area?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Clyde is 8 miles away from Fremont. Both share the same county court system. If Fremont doesn't know about OFCC v. Clyde and State v. City of Cleveland they are in deep doodoo.

Karl44841

Ive been looking threw this forum for about a month now I do recall reading about it. Just havent seen anyone open carry at all just alittle parinoid about possibly being the only person OC in the area and what kind of issues might arrise.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I did a very simple inquiry of the Fremont City police. I spoke to officer Bush.
I posed a simple question. Was it legal to open carry in Ohio? His response was yes it was legal.
So the next question was - So if someone was walking down the street with a gun in a holster minding their own business they will not be bothered? His response was he shouldn't be. But, if we get a call/complaint they (police) will investigate.
Last question. If they get a complaint how is it handled? The response was it all depends.

I would be sending a notice to the police chief as to what the law is and that you will be exercising your right to open carry. But, don't send that notice if you don't have a clue as to what is should contain. You are not looking for a fight.

Karl44841

I was debating on calling the depts of areas i planned to oc in. I just hear some members say not to bother calling them because they will basicly tell you that you can not oc. Anyways thanks for going threw the trouble of calling fremont for me i will be calling a few others to see what their procedures are.

RCall

Im planning to start oc in this area and was wondering if anyone has had any issues?

I just happened to pass through Fremont on my way to Port Clinton this past weekend. I stopped in at the local super mega grocery store and was there for about 2 hours and am happy to report no issues.

Karl44841

Well looks like will be having my xdm on myside when go that way again. Also i will not be getting into a debate, kind of the reason i wasnt sure if i should call about their procedures

MyWifeSaidYes

It's not 'their procedures' you want to find out. You want to find out their interpretation of the law.

That's why COL recommends just asking simple questions. You need to know what the laws are BEFORE you go around OC'ing and BEFORE you call a law enforcement agency.

You need to know when they are giving you a 'wrong' answer.

If you called and they said "Well, OC is legal in Ohio, but we don't allow OC in our town.", then YOU need to know that is wrong, and why.

Etcetera, so on and so forth.

Have fun!

Karl44841

I am very fimilar with the carry laws and understand what to say and what not to say to LE if confronted. I was only wondering if anyone has had any issues in the fremont area. I just do not like being thrown off guard, I also carry audio recorders in truck and on person just in case.

ghost913

i moved to oak harbor

I did a very simple inquiry of the Fremont City police. I spoke to officer Bush.
I posed a simple question. Was it legal to open carry in Ohio? His response was yes it was legal.
So the next question was - So if someone was walking down the street with a gun in a holster minding their own business they will not be bothered? His response was he shouldn't be. But, if we get a call/complaint they (police) will investigate.
Last question. If they get a complaint how is it handled? The response was it all depends.

I would be sending a notice to the police chief as to what the law is and that you will be exercising your right to open carry. But, don't send that notice if you don't have a clue as to what is should contain. You are not looking for a fight.

The first thing when I moved to oak harbor was inform the OHPD that I open carry a springfield xd9,i haven't once been bothered. When I first purchased my gun a month before moving here I called the lucas county sheriffs office and confirmed that it was legal to Oct and I wasn't bothered doesn't hurt I know quite a few tpd detectives Lol. I enjoy open carrying I mainly do it here in oak harbor just in case a critter tries attacking me. Just inform the police department give em your name address and number you should be ok.