• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"I'm not mad or angry."

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
I propose that she is both "mad" in the classical term that implies insanity and extremely angry, although I seriously doubt she has the intellect to understand how stupid she sounds.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout...video-c-union-leader-attacking-220855645.html

For all the pissin' and whining from the moonbat fringe about "civility" (forget open mindedness or tolerance for a different perspective) these "people" are exposing themselves for the parasites they are.

Unions have done a few positive things 100 years ago by unifying workers in demands for safer working environments and better wages.

Since then they've stagnated wages and made US workers non-competeive in global markets. They've destroyed the American work ethic, and promoted government controls and taxes that further bankrupted industries.

Unions have become a maligancy, and Gov Haley is absolutely correct that they're unwelcome in any state that values the individual's demand for greater compensation than the oxygen thieves who do as little as possible and threaten to sue over "racism" "sexism" "homophobia" or some percieved "disability". That's why all of the work left in the country has come to "right to work" states, and the moonbat messiah has fought against that trend.

Dreamer

If some Tea Party folks did this with a pinata emblazoned with Obama's likeness, they would be dead by now, having been the victims of "botched no-knock warrant raids", where their entire families were tear gased and machine gunned and then their houses burned to the ground, burning any survivors to death.

Eric Holder has PLENTY of experience with such operations, after all...

Last edited:

DrakeZ07

339.png

Unions, their SO evil, what with making sure businesses dont abuse their employees, and making safe working enviroments, such evil enities~

SFCRetired

What the unions have done in my state:

1. Chrysler - two electronics plants in Huntsville - union struck for higher wages - plants closed and moved to Mexico.

2. Dunlop Tire - major plant in Huntsville - union repeatedly struck for higher wages - plant closed

3. Vanity Fair mill - large lingerie manufacturing plant in Jackson, AL - employees voted to unionize and subsequently struck for higher wages - plant closed.

This litany could continue and could name other states and manufacturing facilities as well. As someone else noted, the unions have effectively priced the American worker out of the global economy. Not to mention that far too many American workers, protected by unions, have adopted an "I don't care" attitude about workmanship and about doing an honest day's work for their wages.

Unions once had a place and did a good job of improving working conditions and wages. They have, by and large, outlived that usefulness.

gunns

Many years ago when I was working as an Electronics Technician the Union use to call me every week. Pleading me to start a Union at the company I was at. I worked for a darn good company that compensated us for effort and was making good money at the time. They started calling me at home, sending me mail at work and home and finally corned me at my car at work.

I finally told them to go @!#$ off that there was no way I was going to take a pay cut to unionize. They stated I would get more pay and when I asked how much they told me so and so. I look right at them and told them I wasn't going to take a 20% pay cut to unionize, they just about crapped themselves, didn't know how much I was making. I also told them I believed that someone should get paid for what they do or how hard they worked, not because some commie union said they should get paid for doing nothing.

Never heard from them again.

DrakeZ07

I've worked in both union, and non-union factories, and warehouses. I myself, though working at unionized plants, never really took part in their activities, and tried to avoid them in general. I like to work hard, and be proud of whatever work I have done. But, it's always been kind of amusing, yet a real shame.

For instance, I used to work for SRG Guardian, in Morehead. Their a automotive parts factory, using injection molding, and chemical processes to make bumpers, fenders, grilles, and such. Have the facilities to chrome, and paint them. It was a non-union plant, I could tell, because I watched three co-workers get fired simply for talking about getting a union organized, and the supervisor was just barely within earshot. So much for the right to free speech. The plant worked three shifts, 24/6. Very hostile work environment for humans. the boilers, injection molding machines, paint ovens, kept the massive building a sweltering 100+F air temp through all hours, even in the dead of winter. And being in Kentucky, somehow it was always humid as all else in the plant. Every break-room had poster-boards with fliers talking bad about the union, a couple that even warned of job loss for talking about the union while in the building.

Back last July it was, I had to work the fourth of july weekend, the plant temp got really hot, above normal, several of my co-workers, who had been working there for a few years, and should have been accustomed to the heat, got heat exhaustion. But wasn't allowed to leave their work stations, until break time. With my training as an EMT-Basic, I pleaded, and begged the supervisor to give them an early break to cool off, or to at-least bring them some water, but was refused, and giving a warning for "slacking off". Eventually, those co-workers ended up being fired, for threatening to have a labour inspector brought out.

Never mind the fact that the place was a death trap. Every week there would be a mechanic, or press operator, being injured one way or another, by a defective machine. But it was never counted, when our hands would get burned, or have large lacerations from the sharp objects. Since we wasn't allowed to wear kevlar gloves, which could "scratch the fine surfaces". You was expected to do your job, work as hard as you could, put up with the antagonizing supervisors, put your health on the line, just so the plant could make an extra buck.

I re-call the building manager would come out to our before-shift meetings, and proudly, smugly give us the numbers; "Last night, our shift produced over 1.3million $ in parts alone, keep up the good work". You figure in the average of that, over 8mil $ was made per week. over 32mil$ per month. From our plant alone. Consisting of two hundred working employees. Yet, for some reason, the plant managers couldn't afford to install a drinking fountain in the break rooms, or give out water on the hot days, or pay to hire relief workers to go around and give us breaks. Nor could the plant, afford to install cooling fans at work stations that often rose above 110f in air temp.

I worked there for almost a year, making 7.75$/hr, when I was hired on for full time, my pay went up to a measly 8.25$/hr.

Now, please, tell me, how the hell bringing in a union, would be such a evil and bad thing, for a plant that made tens of millions in dollars each month, pay their employees a few cents above min. wage [7.25$/hr], fire employee's who, while under the effect of heat exhaustion, bordering heat stroke, stray away from their work station for a drink of water. [Oh, did I mention that there was NO food, or drinks, not even water, allowed at your work station?].

This is what happens when you trust big money making corporations to be "fair" to their employees, without any influential outside force watching over them. You get a Business entity abusing, taking advantage, and preying on their employee's, just to squeeze an extra dime from them. You get a business entity making millions on a daily basis, yet giving their employee's who effective kill themselves to give you such profits, and only paying them mere pocket change.

Oh, right, of course, I forgot, none of us had to work there, right? We could have simply went and got a different job, since there's SO many jobs available in Eastern Kentucky, so many opportunities to be had and seized, and worked, and be all happy little bee's in our great American honeycomb, right?

I've worked dozens of plants, and factories, that was very much like SRG guardian. All non-union. Because the funny thing about this economy is, it isn't the unions that's driving employers away, its the companies that want to get away with harsh working conditions, and still make millions, or billions, in profits, and only pay their employee's a dollar or two.

I've been jobless for the past four months, I've put in resume's, and applications to every job employment opportunity I could find. But it sucks, when you walk into a factory office, and there's 70 other people there applying for the same, single job position, that you're applying to. Sure, I could broaden my horizons, and find another factory just like SRG guardian, give myself a heart attack, burns, cuts, be abused by supervisors with a god complex, for an actual small wage. But I refuse to. As a blue-collar American, I shouldn't have to decide between a crappy job, making next to nothing, and breaking my back, or unemployment.

So, when I see all you people fighting against unions, saying how evil they are, how horrible they are, they should be banned, and thrown out of town, and stripped of bargaining rights. I want -you- to spend a few years working in a hell-hole of a place, where you could be fired just for whispering 'union', where your employer could care less about your healthy and safety, where your paid just a little above min. wage, while the supervisors smugly talk about their millions in profits. Maybe then you'd get your white-collar heads out of your rears, and wake up to reality.

When I look at these people against unions, I can't help but to wonder, if I'm making a response to a thread consisting of Mitt Romney's clones. Upper class whine-y rich kids who whine and complain that America is going down hill, and the evil commie unions are cutting your wages, and stuff. Well, I have gladly, willingly, lovingly, paid union dues in unionized places I've worked, just for a safe work environment. And in the non-unionized plants, I would have gladly gave half my measly salary just to even have a moments thought that I wasn't going to stroke out on the job.

Daylen

... It was a non-union plant, I could tell, because I watched three co-workers get fired simply for talking about getting a union organized, and the supervisor was just barely within earshot. So much for the right to free speech. ...

They were not beaten or imprisoned right? Only fired? So what? You have the freedom of speech, and the freedom to employ who you want for whatever duration you want, and can afford. You're not entitled to be employed by any company, heck I don't even care if people unionise (freedom of association). What is a problem when unions get laws passed that take away others rights: the freedom NOT to associate with a union, freedom to hire, fire and promote(states where people MUST pay union dues to work in a trade or for a company), freedom to conduct business(national labor relations board I'm looking at you). If you're wondering unions are labeled as communist and terrible its easy. They take away liberty and property without just compensation. Forcing a company to conduct its affairs in a certain way and pay out more money than a worker is worth is gaining the benefits of ownership of the company without buying it. That is usually known as theft. If you don't like the conditions or pay at a place then go somewhere else, or learn a different skill, or try a different industry.

If you think your company was making exorbitant profits just because the gross was high, you're mistaken. Chemicals are expensive and are consumed, the capital equipment costs plenty, etc. If you think otherwise then perhaps you should stop complaining and start a competing company that pays workers twice as much and has all working areas air conditioned to 70 degrees.

Its a big planet and unskilled workers are easily replaceable, why do you think companies respond to unions by moving out of state.

And I'll never work at a hellhole because I planned my life and put forth the effort to ensure I have skills that are very difficult to replace.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

They were not beaten or imprisoned right? Only fired? So what? You have the freedom of speech, and the freedom to employ who you want for whatever duration you want, and can afford. You're not entitled to be employed by any company, heck I don't even care if people unionise (freedom of association). What is a problem when unions get laws passed that take away others rights: the freedom NOT to associate with a union, freedom to hire, fire and promote(states where people MUST pay union dues to work in a trade or for a company), freedom to conduct business(national labor relations board I'm looking at you). If you're wondering unions are labeled as communist and terrible its easy. They take away liberty and property without just compensation. Forcing a company to conduct its affairs in a certain way and pay out more money than a worker is worth is gaining the benefits of ownership of the company without buying it. That is usually known as theft. If you don't like the conditions or pay at a place then go somewhere else, or learn a different skill, or try a different industry.

If you think your company was making exorbitant profits just because the gross was high, you're mistaken. Chemicals are expensive and are consumed, the capital equipment costs plenty, etc. If you think otherwise then perhaps you should stop complaining and start a competing company that pays workers twice as much and has all working areas air conditioned to 70 degrees.

Its a big planet and unskilled workers are easily replaceable, why do you think companies respond to unions by moving out of state.

And I'll never work at a hellhole because I planned my life and put forth the effort to ensure I have skills that are very difficult to replace.

+1 Government backed coercion by a unions is a bad thing.

Public sector unions even worse.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
I've worked in both union, and non-union factories, and warehouses. I myself, though working at unionized plants, never really took part in their activities, and tried to avoid them in general. I like to work hard, and be proud of whatever work I have done. But, it's always been kind of amusing, yet a real shame.

For instance, I used to work for SRG Guardian, in Morehead. Their a automotive parts factory, using injection molding, and chemical processes to make bumpers, fenders, grilles, and such. Have the facilities to chrome, and paint them. It was a non-union plant, I could tell, because I watched three co-workers get fired simply for talking about getting a union organized, and the supervisor was just barely within earshot. So much for the right to free speech. The plant worked three shifts, 24/6. Very hostile work environment for humans. the boilers, injection molding machines, paint ovens, kept the massive building a sweltering 100+F air temp through all hours, even in the dead of winter. And being in Kentucky, somehow it was always humid as all else in the plant. Every break-room had poster-boards with fliers talking bad about the union, a couple that even warned of job loss for talking about the union while in the building.

Back last July it was, I had to work the fourth of july weekend, the plant temp got really hot, above normal, several of my co-workers, who had been working there for a few years, and should have been accustomed to the heat, got heat exhaustion. But wasn't allowed to leave their work stations, until break time. With my training as an EMT-Basic, I pleaded, and begged the supervisor to give them an early break to cool off, or to at-least bring them some water, but was refused, and giving a warning for "slacking off". Eventually, those co-workers ended up being fired, for threatening to have a labour inspector brought out.

Never mind the fact that the place was a death trap. Every week there would be a mechanic, or press operator, being injured one way or another, by a defective machine. But it was never counted, when our hands would get burned, or have large lacerations from the sharp objects. Since we wasn't allowed to wear kevlar gloves, which could "scratch the fine surfaces". You was expected to do your job, work as hard as you could, put up with the antagonizing supervisors, put your health on the line, just so the plant could make an extra buck.

I re-call the building manager would come out to our before-shift meetings, and proudly, smugly give us the numbers; "Last night, our shift produced over 1.3million $ in parts alone, keep up the good work". You figure in the average of that, over 8mil $ was made per week. over 32mil$ per month. From our plant alone. Consisting of two hundred working employees. Yet, for some reason, the plant managers couldn't afford to install a drinking fountain in the break rooms, or give out water on the hot days, or pay to hire relief workers to go around and give us breaks. Nor could the plant, afford to install cooling fans at work stations that often rose above 110f in air temp.

I worked there for almost a year, making 7.75$/hr, when I was hired on for full time, my pay went up to a measly 8.25$/hr.

Now, please, tell me, how the hell bringing in a union, would be such a evil and bad thing, for a plant that made tens of millions in dollars each month, pay their employees a few cents above min. wage [7.25$/hr], fire employee's who, while under the effect of heat exhaustion, bordering heat stroke, stray away from their work station for a drink of water. [Oh, did I mention that there was NO food, or drinks, not even water, allowed at your work station?].

This is what happens when you trust big money making corporations to be "fair" to their employees, without any influential outside force watching over them. You get a Business entity abusing, taking advantage, and preying on their employee's, just to squeeze an extra dime from them. You get a business entity making millions on a daily basis, yet giving their employee's who effective kill themselves to give you such profits, and only paying them mere pocket change.

Oh, right, of course, I forgot, none of us had to work there, right? We could have simply went and got a different job, since there's SO many jobs available in Eastern Kentucky, so many opportunities to be had and seized, and worked, and be all happy little bee's in our great American honeycomb, right?

I've worked dozens of plants, and factories, that was very much like SRG guardian. All non-union. Because the funny thing about this economy is, it isn't the unions that's driving employers away, its the companies that want to get away with harsh working conditions, and still make millions, or billions, in profits, and only pay their employee's a dollar or two.

I've been jobless for the past four months, I've put in resume's, and applications to every job employment opportunity I could find. But it sucks, when you walk into a factory office, and there's 70 other people there applying for the same, single job position, that you're applying to. Sure, I could broaden my horizons, and find another factory just like SRG guardian, give myself a heart attack, burns, cuts, be abused by supervisors with a god complex, for an actual small wage. But I refuse to. As a blue-collar American, I shouldn't have to decide between a crappy job, making next to nothing, and breaking my back, or unemployment.

So, when I see all you people fighting against unions, saying how evil they are, how horrible they are, they should be banned, and thrown out of town, and stripped of bargaining rights. I want -you- to spend a few years working in a hell-hole of a place, where you could be fired just for whispering 'union', where your employer could care less about your healthy and safety, where your paid just a little above min. wage, while the supervisors smugly talk about their millions in profits. Maybe then you'd get your white-collar heads out of your rears, and wake up to reality.

When I look at these people against unions, I can't help but to wonder, if I'm making a response to a thread consisting of Mitt Romney's clones. Upper class whine-y rich kids who whine and complain that America is going down hill, and the evil commie unions are cutting your wages, and stuff. Well, I have gladly, willingly, lovingly, paid union dues in unionized places I've worked, just for a safe work environment. And in the non-unionized plants, I would have gladly gave half my measly salary just to even have a moments thought that I wasn't going to stroke out on the job.

Complete bull$#!t story. Between OSHA, the Dept of Labor and liability lawyers this plant would have closed years ago.

Try again, and don't be so obvious in your attempt to promote some commie crap about out of control profits.

DrakeZ07

Complete bull$#!t story. Between OSHA, the Dept of Labor and liability lawyers this plant would have closed years ago.

Try again, and don't be so obvious in your attempt to promote some commie crap about out of control profits.

I could take ya right over to the plant's employment office, and let ya apply right there, I'd even volunteer to drop you off, and pick you up before, and after, your shift. Ya think I'm BS'ing, well, I'm making a serious offer, and you can go check it out yourself. There are companies, not only in my state, but around the U.S., who do the same sh*t, and get away with it easily, under the Fed's "radar". How? Oh, I dunno, couldn't be that the moral, godly companies that run these plants pay off the feds, could it? naw, naw, their too upstanding, and pure of heart to do such things. [/sarcasm]. Hey, look at Bloody Harlan back in the '60s and '70s, or go further back to Meulenburg County back in the '20s. and '30s, or pretty much any coal mine in the Eastern U.S., and take note of the corruption the companies brought out, paying off police as high as state troopers, local and district judges, and to some extent, the Federal, and State government.

You think that stopped when the 70's ended? You must not be too bright if you think for one moment that OSHA, the Labour department, or any oversight agency is corrupt-free, pure, and generally gives a cr*p about workers rights, or the conditions they work in. Its the same stuff that Banks, and Socialist officials do with the Fed reserve, and the Government at any level. Any agency can be bought off for the right price, and I'm damn sure the ones who's supposed to be watching out for all of us on the job, are having their pockets lined by the companies who claim to bring jobs to our country. Yeah, their bringing jobs to areas, by putting honest, hard working Americans, who can't afford to go to college or get trained in different areas of work, through the mud, breaking our backs, and making us suffer, so they can make an extra dime.

And chemicals, and other "expensive stuff" that sucks away form these companies profits, tell me, big boys, how is it a fat cat CEO, can make more in six months, than an entire factory/plant's worth of employees make in two years? How is it Big companies can afford to own several subsidiary companies, and hide their wealth in other expenditures, and buy multimillion dollar jet planes for their corrupt execs to go on personal get-a-ways, if the chemicals, and taxes, and machines, and maintenance is simply so expensive and so money hungry, as to prevent making a working environment remotely safe for their abused employees?

Oh wait, I don't even have to ask, lemme guess, some how, its because those execs are more worthy of those stuff, and need to be paid millions of dollars in a year, and have to be rewarded; and the mean, evil, bad employees working in the plants don't have to work there, they can always go elsewhere if they don't like the job; never mind the fact that the one, crappy plant, is the only job source for often times that county and other surrounding counties. NEVER MIND the fact that the majority of these plant workers, if they lost their job, couldn't afford to be re-trained, or go get technical/college degrees. Because it's their fault in the first place for being poor, and should be punished for not having jack s%#@ to their name.

Oh, and of course, how could I forget, its obvious these companies don't own, or have large shares in the plants that make the chemicals they use in their plants, and factories. Nope. That would be too easy to give them a price discount, and price cut.

Last edited:

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
Great, double down on the commie crap. I suppose a union would go in there, completely un corrupted unlike every level of government and every lawyer in the state, and fix the place right up huh?

I've worked in industrial plants. It's boring mindless work. NOBODY gives a damn about you, No $#!t, get over it. Production is the bottom line. I hated it with a passion and went to work in the construction field. It's either always hot, or &^%$ing freezing. It's physically demanding, dirty and dangerous. You do what you have to in order to stay productive. That's what a work ethic is all about. Some people do as little as possible, and stay poor. Some people strive to be the best at everything they do and move up. Don't whine to me about how hot it is in your factory, I've dragged miles of wire through countless 120 degree attics throughout Texas in August. I've dug ditches through rock across acres with the sun beating down on me for days, and froze my ass off on rooftops fixing leaks in december.

Did I go crying to a union? Hell no. I was glad to have income, and I knew all I had to do to enhance my standard of living was learn how to do my boss's job, and find one like his.

Grow up.

Jack House

IDK about what he said. But I have seen somewhat similar occurrences at Wal-Mart and OSHA has yet to shut them down.

I'm not a fan of unions either, but I also wont turn a blind eye to the very real problems that many American workers face.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
IDK about what he said. But I have seen somewhat similar occurrences at Wal-Mart and OSHA has yet to shut them down.

I'm not a fan of unions either, but I also wont turn a blind eye to the very real problems that many American workers face.

Don't get me wrong, I know there are isolated incidents where supervisors abuse workers. It's happened at more than a couple of workplaces I've been in. However, the answer was never a union. I've been told I had to do some dangerous $#!t that scared the hell out of me on construction sites. Most of the time I did the task and survived, or told the boss to go **** himself and found a different job if he didn't take my risk assesment into consideration. Going to OSHA never occured to me.

Reading the drivel posted above, I'm not impressed. I've dealt with horrible working environments. He's whining about being sweaty. Give me a break.

I'm not saying US workers need to ignore the plights of low level workers, but not every sob story is worth hearing either. Far too many of them end up in court as it is, and then we all end up paying for it regardless of the outcome.

SFCRetired

Yeah, there are companies out there that don't give a damn about their employees. But unions, as they are now not as they used to be, are not the answer.

FWIW, I worked a job where I was on-call 24/7, worked 72 hour shifts on many occasions, was always in danger of electrocution and microwave radiation while on the job, was in danger from co-workers having access to lethal devices and being under the influence of alcohol and "controlled substances". Not to mention that there was no overtime and most of the employees were paid below minimum wage. Now, does anyone else want to tell me about a crappy job?

I worked at that job for twenty-one years.

XD4ME

Unions once had a place and did a good job of improving working conditions and wages. They have, by and large, outlived that usefulness.

Couldn't agree more

Yeah, there are companies out there that don't give a damn about their employees. But unions, as they are now not as they used to be, are not the answer.

FWIW, I worked a job where I was on-call 24/7, worked 72 hour shifts on many occasions, was always in danger of electrocution and microwave radiation while on the job, was in danger from co-workers having access to lethal devices and being under the influence of alcohol and "controlled substances". Not to mention that there was no overtime and most of the employees were paid below minimum wage. Now, does anyone else want to tell me about a crappy job?

I worked at that job for twenty-one years.

Hmm , sounds familiar . My employer happened to be the US gov . Many good times with many dangerous things with long hours and a set pay .

Daylen

never mind the fact that the one, crappy plant, is the only job source for often times that county and other surrounding counties.

Should such a situation exist the workers should be more appreciative of such a company. Where the company to leave then there would be no jobs and as it seems implicit in your argument that workers can't change their location or situation they would then die of starvation. Lucky for them someone opened a plant in the area.