• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling to Tennesse GSMNP, Can I carry a Pistol if I have a FOID card?

JUCD VPR

Hey everyone, i'm new to the forum.

I am traveling to Tennessee tomorrow to do some back country hiking in the Great Smoky Mountain national Park and i'd like to know what the rules are. I am from IL and I possess a FOID card as well as a hunters safety card. I am a registered gun owner in IL, Prior Enlisted SSGT in the USMC for 7 years so my weapons experience is pretty extensive. So to my question based on having a FOID card and Hunter safety card........

Can I open carry or CC in Tennessee while hiking in the back country? In IL we do not have CC so I could not possibly have a permit. Thanks for the help, just trying to abide by the laws to avoid any trouble. I read on here that Michigan allows OC for IL residents with a FOID card so I thought maybe Tennessee was the same?

Fallguy

In TN you must have a valid permit to carry, a FOID card will not work.

TN does honor non-resident permits, it won't help for tomorrow, but for the future you may want to check about getting a permit from another state.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hey everyone, i'm new to the forum.

I am traveling to Tennessee tomorrow to do some back country hiking in the Great Smoky Mountain national Park and i'd like to know what the rules are. I am from IL and I possess a FOID card as well as a hunters safety card. I am a registered gun owner in IL, Prior Enlisted SSGT in the USMC for 7 years so my weapons experience is pretty extensive. So to my question based on having a FOID card and Hunter safety card........

Can I open carry or CC in Tennessee while hiking in the back country? In IL we do not have CC so I could not possibly have a permit. Thanks for the help, just trying to abide by the laws to avoid any trouble. I read on here that Michigan allows OC for IL residents with a FOID card so I thought maybe Tennessee was the same?

Tennessee requires a permit to OC or CC. Don't wait so long next time to investigate. :(

JUCD VPR

In TN you must have a valid permit to carry, a FOID card will not work.

TN does honor non-resident permits, it won't help for tomorrow, but for the future you may want to check about getting a permit from another state.

Dang I didn't know you could just apply for a permit to another state. How long does that take? Not being able to CC in IL, and or have a license to CC is a pain in the butt. I wish Illinois would get their act together, I mean what in the hell is the point of a FOID card then. Basically it only means I can buy weapons and ammo in IL and nothing else if other states don;t recognize it as anything. To bad Military members can't just CC, I think my training far exceeds a CC class. But oh well, I guess i'll be packing some bear spray instead. Still plan to bring the weapon locked in a case and ammo separate.

JUCD VPR

Tennessee requires a permit to OC or CC. Don't wait so long next time to investigate. :(

Yah I had way to may other things going on leading up to vacation, Didn't even think of it until now. I'm not in the CC mentality since I can't carry here in IL. But I do carry a pocket knife lol. Oh well live and learn.

Fallguy

Dang I didn't know you could just apply for a permit to another state. How long does that take? Not being able to CC in IL, and or have a license to CC is a pain in the butt. I wish Illinois would get their act together, I mean what in the hell is the point of a FOID card then. Basically it only means I can buy weapons and ammo in IL and nothing else if other states don;t recognize it as anything. To bad Military members can't just CC, I think my training far exceeds a CC class. But oh well, I guess i'll be packing some bear spray instead. Still plan to bring the weapon locked in a case and ammo separate.

Here is a list of states that iss Non-Resident permits and how to apply. http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/NonResidentPermits.pdf One thing to note, some states do not honor non-resident permits.

Yeah, IL is definetly unlike any other state. I don't reckon FOID cards really mean anything outside of IL.

In TN if you have had handgun training in the Military (and some other situations) within the last 5 years you don't have to take the safety class to get a permit.

Also remember the GSMNP is partially in NC, when you are in that part of the park NC law applies. But I would think weapon and ammo seperate would be good there too.

Enjoy your trip.

zekester

Florida non res...just send a copy of your dd-214...have no felonies...$117.00.....boom...permit...7yrs.....oh yeah...need to send your fingerprints...

I think AZ is about the same...not sure on how long, but last I checked only 45$...

Like stated above...check to be sure they are valid in the states you carry most..

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Florida non res...just send a copy of your dd-214...have no felonies...$117.00.....boom...permit...7yrs.....oh yeah...need to send your fingerprints...

I think AZ is about the same...not sure on how long, but last I checked only 45$...

Like stated above...check to be sure they are valid in the states you carry most..

Virginia non-resident Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP)is similar.
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_NonresidentConcealed.shtm

If anyone were to visit VA, no permit is required to OC, not in a vehicle, not in a restaurant - restrictions are that you not be an otherwise disallowed individual and private property rights prevail.

Oh Shoot

Also remember the GSMNP is partially in NC, when you are in that part of the park NC law applies. But I would think weapon and ammo seperate would be good there too...

You may open carry in NC without a permit, including in vehicle. That includes the parts of GSMNP in NC.

- OS