• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stafford Co. self defense shooting

AtackDuck

Will miracles never cease...

Did you notice that no one called the knife wielder "victim"? In fact, "victim" is not in the article! AMAZING!!

OOPS. The Free Lunch Star does claim the knife wielder is a "shooting victim". Asshats.

Patch.com has a much better article and they don't have a victim.

Last edited:

TraumaRN

Did you notice that no one called the knife wielder "victim"? In fact, "victim" is not in the article! AMAZING!!

Yes, but did you see the comment section where some were blaming the 2 for being parked in a remote, dark lot............. will never understand some people.

Bowesmobile

I think you lose the "victim" status when you tell others you're going back to get revenge... Just a thought. Who cares where the couple parked.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Hard to say without knowing the entire story, but I believe I would first have tried to just roll up my window and drive away.

That assumes that you have the opportunity to roll up the window, start the car, put it in gear and go. If the car had power windows, you'd need to turn the key to the accessory spot and then roll the windows up. Recall that a person within 20 feet or so can easily get to you with a knife faster than often draw a gun and shoot. The fact that this person had the opportunity to get off a shot is probably all he had time for.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
http://blogs.fredericksburg.com/new...-in-gun-incident-at-local-elementary-schools/

Looks like stupidity at work but how do you charge firearm violations when it is a "PELLET GUN"? I believe it to be an airsoft from the description. By Virginia law doesen't a "firearm" require explosive propellents?

I don't know that statutes in North Carolina, but in Virginia a brandishing charge becomes a felony when it occurs within 1000 feet of a K-12 school (outside of certain exceptions) with both firearms, airguns or items that are similar in appearance to a firearm.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-282

Last edited:

TFred

Hard to say without knowing the entire story, but I believe I would first have tried to just roll up my window and drive away.
From the Patch article that I linked earlier:

"Approximately 15 to 20 minutes later, the couple observed the man again as he surprised them by approaching the driver’s side of the car from the rear in an aggressive manner," Kennedy said. "He allegedly attacked the driver through the driver’s window and attempted to stab him without provocation. The attacked driver, while attempting to fight his assailant off, was able to retrieve a handgun located in the glove box of the car. He fired the weapon at his attacker who was hit and fell to the ground. He instructed his female companion to call 911 and stepped from the car to see the second man, who did not participate in the attack, flee on foot."

TFred

ryan7068

I don't know about that ! I heard action like that constitutes the use of deadly force in culpeper :eek:

More proof why you don't bring a knife to a gun fight......

And its more proof why everyone should take the protection of their own life back into their hands. Not that I like to see people hurt, but if more were to carry and defend themselves, crime such as this would lower pretty darn quick IMHO.

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I don't know about that ! I heard action like that constitutes the use of deadly force in culpeper :eek:

And its more proof why everyone should take the protection of their own life back into their hands. Not that I like to see people hurt, but if more were to carry and defend themselves, crime such as this would lower pretty darn quick IMHO.

Whether crime goes up or goes down is rather irrelevant, frankly. What does matter is that people are able to protect themselves as you say.

The only reason I comment about crime going up or down is because it is purely a utilitarian argument that can be used against gun ownership just as easily as it can be used for it. If you tie the two together, you reasonably have to make the argument that if gun ownership and crime both go up then it's time to reduce gun ownership (if you've previously stated that people should be able to own guns because it makes the crime rate go down). If you simply start with the idea people should be able to carry guns because each person's life is of value and a person has a right to live, then you don't have any argument against it unless you completely discount the value of a person's life and don't recognize that person has a right to live.

Last edited: