• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stafford Co. self defense shooting

Sheriff

This event is not over yet. The commonwealth can still place charges if they decide to.

If this had taken place in the city-county I live in, I firmly believe the shooter would have been charged. The commonwealth would claim overkill, as in you didn't really need to shoot and kill a man over $1. Then it will cost $75,000 to $100,000 to prove self defense to a jury. And even then, you have a 50/50 chance of the liberal minded jury not buying into your self defense claim.

I also believe that the further north you go in Virginia, the more likely you are to charged in any type of shooting, self defense or not.

DocWalker

This event is not over yet. The commonwealth can still place charges if they decide to.

If this had taken place in the city-county I live in, I firmly believe the shooter would have been charged. The commonwealth would claim overkill, as in you didn't really need to shoot and kill a man over $1. Then it will cost $75,000 to $100,000 to prove self defense to a jury. And even then, you have a 50/50 chance of the liberal minded jury not buying into your self defense claim.

I also believe that the further north you go in Virginia, the more likely you are to charged in any type of shooting, self defense or not.

So how many times are you suppose to let someone stab you before it is ok to return fire? Three, four, or maybe five, does he have to hit a vital organ first or is it determained on the amount of blood loss? These are questions I would ask the jury if charged.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

If charges were brought against a victim who used deadly force to counter a deadly attack, I'd say he would have a very good case for his defense. Remember he wasn't being robbed according to the report, he was being attacked.

"I also believe that the further north you go in Virginia, the more likely you are to charged in any type of shooting, self defense or not."

This depends on the county or city up here. If you are in Prince William, I would wager you'd be better off than in Arlington or Falls Church. Our commonwealth's attorney doesn't like criminals.

The Wolfhound

this ain't an "ideal world"

In an ideal world there is no reason the shooter should have to make his "good case". The likelyhood of facing charges does appear to increase as one nears that Beltway of Blight up nawth.

Sheriff

So how many times are you suppose to let someone stab you before it is ok to return fire? Three, four, or maybe five, does he have to hit a vital organ first or is it determained on the amount of blood loss? These are questions I would ask the jury if charged.

I agree..... 100%. But in the city or county that might charge a person.....

.... you're still on the hook for $75,000 to $100,000 in legal fees to defend yourself.

DocWalker

I agree..... 100%. But in the city or county that might charge a person.....

.... you're still on the hook for $75,000 to $100,000 in legal fees to defend yourself.

The prosecution should have to pay out of their budget the lawyer bills of any defendent found not guilty. This would stop the harrasment of people defending themselves. Like wise anyone losing a lawsuit that they bring should have to pay ALL lawyer bills an court cost for both them and the defense.

john-galt

More Backwards Logic

Yes, but did you see the comment section where some were blaming the 2 for being parked in a remote, dark lot............. will never understand some people.

yeah, it's "evil" to be parked in a car, so they deserved to be stabbed? Come on! Can't believe such nonsense.

Chock one up for the good guys!!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The prosecution should have to pay out of their budget the lawyer bills of any defendent found not guilty. This would stop the harrasment of people defending themselves. Like wise anyone losing a lawsuit that they bring should have to pay ALL lawyer bills an court cost for both them and the defense.

You're kidding, right?

[Commentary on why I ask the question removed to prevent moderator action.]

stay safe.

SouthernBoy

In an ideal world there is no reason the shooter should have to make his "good case". The likelyhood of facing charges does appear to increase as one nears that Beltway of Blight up nawth.

I don't know the stats for this but I'm not so sure one would be in greater jeopardy in this are than he would in Richmond or some other large area further south in the state. Perhaps someone can offer some solid info on this.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
I Surry they charge you for pointing your finder at someone. Can't imagine what they'd do if you actually had to defend yourself with lethal force....:banghead::banghead:

Roscoe

TFred

I don't know the stats for this but I'm not so sure one would be in greater jeopardy in this are than he would in Richmond or some other large area further south in the state. Perhaps someone can offer some solid info on this.
No definitive stats, but there seems to have been a recent rash of violent crime in the Fredericksburg area. At least 3 home invasions in the past two weeks, although one was drug related, not sure about the others. Also a couple of food delivery robberies.

Generally speaking, I would say it's still a bit safer in this area than in Richmond, obviously depending on exactly where you are. There are places here I would avoid by myself at night.

TFred

SouthernBoy

No definitive stats, but there seems to have been a recent rash of violent crime in the Fredericksburg area. At least 3 home invasions in the past two weeks, although one was drug related, not sure about the others. Also a couple of food delivery robberies.

Generally speaking, I would say it's still a bit safer in this area than in Richmond, obviously depending on exactly where you are. There are places here I would avoid by myself at night.

TFred

I've noticed that. My oldest daughter lives in Fredericksburg (atually Stafford County not too far from the Geico building) so I am concerned.

Blk97F150

Another Stafford incident. This makes the 4th or 5th incident in the Stafford/Fredericks'hood area in the last couple months.... Home invasions, self defense shootings, accosted at gunpoint....

Shot fired in Stafford incident
Two armed men accosted two women at gunpoint Thursday night in Stafford as they were leaving a friend’s residence, and one of them fired a shot through the window into the home, police said.

More:
http://blogs.fredericksburg.com/newsdesk/2012/05/25/shot-fired-in-stafford-incident/

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I predicted the rise in violent crime a couple of years ago...and it's going to get worse.
The economy is getting worse and in addition to the normal folks that will kill you for a dollar, there is a new generation of criminals. Desperate honest people.

I'm seeing more robberies just to make the mortgage or car payments or to get dinner for the family. These start off as the point a gun with no intention of shooting and if they keep it up long enough, get violent.

I have to work with some cinematographers, who are a different breed from videographers....most are so far left they're close to falling off the earth. They are for the most part, pro Obama, anti gun and think the economy is just fine. They keep trying to explain the violence by blaming it on guns. They don't want discuss stabbings.

They also think I'm ....Unpleasant.:lol: One said I was barbaric:eek: (The ones from Kanadia and jolly old England are the biggest pains in the Azz...sorry Scouser)

These are the ones that will keep stirring the pot but ignoring the real problem and despite all the humanitarian BS, the only way to stay safe from violent people is to be capable and willing, of being more violent than they are.

I Surry they charge you for pointing your finder at someone. Can't imagine what they'd do if you actually had to defend yourself with lethal force....
banghead.gif
banghead.gif

Roscoe

It depends on your race and if you're one of Poindexter's clients. If you're white and shoot a black man, you're toast. I you're black and one of Poindexters clients (He has a private law practice also) you can get away with most anything which is one of my big concerns. After a hudred or so interviews there, I've been told some of the gamblers think I'm unfairly treating Mr. Poindexter.

Last edited:

john-galt

...it's going to get worse. The economy is getting worse and in addition to the normal folks that will kill you for a dollar, there is a new generation of criminals. Desperate honest people.

I'm seeing more robberies just to make the mortgage or car payments or to get dinner for the family. These start off as the point a gun with no intention of shooting and if they keep it up long enough, get violent....

Sorry to say, but this is true!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior