• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carrying at my job questions

williamz

Okay, currently I am employed at dollar general and as of November 1,2012 Oklahoma will finally be an oc state and I just wanna know if while at work if I could open carry why on the clock and my boss is anti-gun so asking him is a definite NO and I just wanna see if anyone else oc in a Dollargeneral and if they notice any employes that oc can they tell me I can't oc I mean how does this work???

zekester

Well first post..You may be the employer itself....

But basically, ANY employer can tell you that you cannot carry,(if it is part of company policy) just be aware, in some states he is liable for your saftey if he does so. Especailly if he allows customer to carry a firearm.

I am in the same boat....my customers can carry, drink and smoke....but not me!!!

Last edited:

hrdware

Okay, currently I am employed at dollar general and as of November 1,2012 Oklahoma will finally be an oc state and I just wanna know if while at work if I could open carry why on the clock and my boss is anti-gun so asking him is a definite NO and I just wanna see if anyone else oc in a Dollargeneral and if they notice any employes that oc can they tell me I can't oc I mean how does this work???

Williamz, there are 2 issues here. The first is if Dollar General allow firearms in their stores. The second is if Dollar General allows employees to carry firearms. The first thing I would recommend you doing is getting a copy of an employee handbook or the store policy and procedure manual. If you can't find that, then you may need to call the corporate office and ask what the policy is for employees carrying firearms in their stores while on the clock. If the the answer is NO, then the next question should be about law abiding citizens carrying firearms in the store while shopping.

Please keep us informed.

Medic1210

Pretty sure you're going to find it is a direct violation of company policy, and as such, a likely terminable offense.

Bullbuster

Not sure what store you work at but I CC into the one in OKC on 44th near Sunnlane all the time. Never seen a gun buster sign at this store or had any issues. It sits right next to a set of appartment's that most of the area thugs call home. Unless I see a sign go up or ann told and shown company policy as to no carrying I will OC. Read the employee handbook and see what it says before contacting corporate. Also unless the manager is an independent store owner they should have to follow corporate policy.