• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Justified shooting in Boulder?

JamesB

In general, the term "make my day law" refers to a presumed justification of innocence when an intruder is shot in your home.
"Castle doctrine" laws extend those protections of the "castle" to outside the home so they are also known as "make my day better" laws.
That's my understanding.

Beau

In general, the term "make my day law" refers to a presumed justification of innocence when an intruder is shot in your home.
"Castle doctrine" laws extend those protections of the "castle" to outside the home so they are also known as "make my day better" laws.
That's my understanding.
Well I know in IN it is called Castle Doctrine. It does not extend beyond the home though.

O2HeN2

If memory serves, the name of the bill when first introduced to the legislature was "The homeowner's protection act". The media coined the term "Make my day" to cast it in a negative light (anyone surprised?) Why gun owners had adopted this slanderous phrase is beyond me (along with "assault rifles", "Saturday night specials", "Sniper rifles", "Street sweepers", etc.).

O2

since9

Campaign Veteran
The wording in that story really, really ticked me off. An intruder is not, ever, no matter what, a victim. The victims in this were the homeowners, who had their peace of mind and safety compromised by the person who entered their home unlawfully in the wee hours of the morning with who knows what in mind. Albeit, she could have been a harmless drunk who thought she was home, but she could have also had theft, murder or any number of other illegal acts on her mind.

Being intoxicated is not only zero defense, it is itself a violation which often complicates other actions, always negatively for the individual who's intoxicated. Example: Vehicular manslaughter due to momentary inattention vs vehicular manslaughter due to intoxication.

I don't know how the courts would see this, although another poster was dead-on about the news trying to make out like the intruder was a victim. That's so wrong their presses need recalibration for proper operation in this universe.

JamesB

Being intoxicated is not only zero defense, it is itself a violation which often complicates other actions, always negatively for the individual who's intoxicated. Example: Vehicular manslaughter due to momentary inattention vs vehicular manslaughter due to intoxication.

I don't know how the courts would see this, although another poster was dead-on about the news trying to make out like the intruder was a victim. That's so wrong their presses need recalibration for proper operation in this universe.

Here in Colorado in the eyes of the law, being intoxicated is a Mitigating factor, not an Aggravating one; meaning that it is actually a partial defense.

Can you please site for me how and where "Being intoxicated is itself a violation?"

I don't see where Colorado has any laws regarding "public intoxication," or "drunk and disorderly," or anthing else that is even close to this.
Nearest one I can find (if I'm not driving a car) is 18-9-123 which deals with bringing outside beer into a baseball game.
If you can find something better, I'd love to see it.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Here in Colorado in the eyes of the law, being intoxicated is a Mitigating factor, not an Aggravating one; meaning that it is actually a partial defense.

In a pig's eye!

Can you please site for me how and where "Being intoxicated is itself a violation?" I don't see where Colorado has any laws regarding "public intoxication," or "drunk and disorderly," or anthing else that is even close to this.

The clearly implied part you're obviously ignoring is "while in possession of a firearm." We don't discuss carrying pygmy pigs on this forum.

Nearest one I can find (if I'm not driving a car) is 18-9-123 which deals with bringing outside beer into a baseball game.
If you can find something better, I'd love to see it.

Try the section on firearms. If you had, you might have run across this:

§ 18-12-106. Prohibited use of weapons

(1) A person commits a class 2 misdemeanor if:
(d) The person has in his or her possession a firearm while the person is under the influence of intoxicating liquor or of a controlled substance, as defined in section 12-22-303(7), C.R.S. Possession of a permit issued under section 18-12-105.1, as it existed prior to its repeal, or possession of a permit or a temporary emergency permit issued pursuant to part 2 of this article is no defense to a violation of this subsection (1).

It's amazing how easily that's found when one actually bothers to look for it.

Congrats, James B. Your trolling behavior just pissed me off. That's difficult! Bye for now... (ignore list)

JamesB

since9, Do you know the thread you are replying to here?

Has there been an assertion made that the 21-year-old intoxicated co-ed student was armed with anything more intimidating than a lipstick?
She had a gun? Really?
We are talking about the girl being drunk, not the homeowner.

Yes, carrying a gun and being drunk is a crime.
Yes, driving a car while being drunk is a crime.
But, simply being drunk is NOT A CRIME. (unless you can find something that says otherwise...?)

If you are going to look up laws, perhaps you would like to review 18-3-106 Vehicular Homicide. Your belief in regard to this one is false as well.

Last edited:

JamesB

**facepalm**

Can't we all just get along? :p

--Rob

Perhaps.

But I personally prefer to associate with people who do not always agree with me. If we never have our opinions challenged, how can we actually learn? If we simply accept someone's view on a given subject, do we do a greater disservice to them or to ourselves?

To that end, I also expect those around me to challenge me and not accept what I say simply because I say it.
Feel free to take me to task if what I say deosn't jive.
Call me to the carpet if I am dead wrong about anything.
Just be willing to defend your own position, and if you can't I ask that you be willing to consider changing it.

since9 has probably tought me more than anyone else here simply because of this.

Respect.

Last edited:

Bellum_Intus

Perhaps.

But I personally prefer to associate with people who do not always agree with me. If we never have our opinions challenged, how can we actually learn? If we simply accept someone's view on a given subject, do we do a greater disservice to them or to ourselves?

To that end, I also expect those around me to challenge me and not accept what I say simply because I say it.

Nothing wrong with a healthy debate for sure, example, I am a Libertarian, I end up debating the world lol.. but.. I do try to keep it civil. I read all of the threads here and it seems to get a bit heated. I guess I'd just like to see it toned down a tad.. eh, just me..

I am planning a thread soon that should spark a healthy debate, but I am 'debating' posting it.. heh..

Ok back on topic =)

--Rob

[edit] Just read your edits =) .. Good to see it's a healthy debate and not a personal thing.. The way I see it, here, we're all on the same team..

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

**facepalm**

Can't we all just get along? :p

--Rob

Howdy Rob!
Terrific quote from the official California State Pinata of 1991.
(a little like being Miss November of 2008, but entirely different).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PK3MLGzUTE

How many of us have ever been so drunk that we not only got in the wrong house, but were unable to figure out it was the wrong house after gaining access?
Then, even when drunk, I'd think most folks would think twice about staying in that strange looking house with the unfamiliar decor when somebody is shouting they're about to shoot you! I mean.... I'm a friend of Bill's and all.... but I ain't never been that drunk!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

since9

Campaign Veteran
I'm wondering if referring to this particular law as the "make my day law" is really a good idea. I know it's been called such for as long as I can remember but is the image it projects really what we want to portray? Why not call it "Castle Doctrine" or "Home Defense Law" or something?

That's what I call it: "Castle Doctrine" or "Castle laws." Unfortunately, it's the media that calls it the "Make my day" law. Not only does it sell more newspapers/airtime ad dollars, but it really helps the liberal left fan the anti's fear into flame. Which sells more newspapers and airtime ad dollars.

If memory serves, the name of the bill when first introduced to the legislature was "The homeowner's protection act". The media coined the term "Make my day" to cast it in a negative light (anyone surprised?) Why gun owners had adopted this slanderous phrase is beyond me (along with "assault rifles", "Saturday night specials", "Sniper rifles", "Street sweepers", etc.).

O2

If it's folks in our own 2A community who're using this intentionally derogatory term, they're just shooting us all in our feet!

since9, Do you know the thread you are replying to here?

Yes.

Has there been an assertion made that the 21-year-old intoxicated co-ed student was armed with anything more intimidating than a lipstick?

No.

She had a gun? Really?

No. No.

We are talking about the girl being drunk, not the homeowner.

That's correct.

Yes, carrying a gun and being drunk is a crime.

Yep.

Yes, driving a car while being drunk is a crime.

Yes.

But, simply being drunk is NOT A CRIME.

No ****, Sherlock. C.R.S. 27-81-101 says it's a health issue, not a criminal issue.

If you are going to look up laws, perhaps you would like to review 18-3-106 Vehicular Homicide. Your belief in regard to this one is false as well.

What the hell does this have to do with the price of tea in China, much less with the subject matter of this thread?

You're trolling, James B. Back on ignore. Bye-bye!

mahkagari

The intruder has been charged with felony trespassing.

http://blogs.westword.com/latestwor...charge_drunk_cu_grad_shot_timothy_justice.php

DA Garnett: "And the charge is a way to make sure we help the person get treatment for what may be a serious drinking problem. We want to help them get that under control."

I'm trying reeeeeeaaaaalllllyy hard not to have a knee-jerk reaction that if Ripple was a different socioeconomic background there wouldn't be any justification about "trying to get them help" and much more talk about people "paying for their actions".