Thread: Looking for clarification on RCW 9.41.060

Looking for clarification on RCW 9.41.060

Hi everyone!

I'm new here and new to gun ownership as of last Friday (yay!). I do not have my CPL (yet), but am planning on going camping this weekend and am obviously wanting to carry. Where I'm headed is a developed, National Forest Service campground. My specific question to you folks (understanding that you're not the "official" word) is whether or not I'm able to concealed carry based on RCW 9.41.060 Section (8) - the part that provides an exception to 9.41.050 for "Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area".

I guess my main concern is the fact that it's in a developed campground as opposed to being in the sticks. If the recommendation is against concealed carrying, then I supposed I always have the option of open carrying, though I would be admittedly nervous of having a similar experience to what gogodawgs outlined during my first time carrying.

Any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Just OC when out of the car. Yes, there have been some issues in the past and there may be issues for some in the future. I've OC'd for over two years with no negative encounters. I just spent over an hour in a Chase bank setting up a new account with nothing said. Check out the sticky's of state laws. Unload before you get in your car (until you get your CPL). Carry on-welcome. Study, interact, and learn.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

You should be covered under the exception, if your camping whether its a campground, wilderness or other type of outdoor camping.

In regards to GoGo's incident... that's not the norm. There have been hundreds of positive or non-events of people out camping for the one bad encounter that GoGo had. Don't let that one event steer you away from open carry.
    Last edited by slapmonkay; 05-23-2012 at 11:42 PM.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

I wouldn't call what happened at the campground with Gogo, M1, Deros and others, a "bad encounter". They all handled the ranger perfectly, from the reports of those there. No one was detained, arrested, handcuffed, or hauled off. That would be a bad encounter.
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

A 1911 that works properly is as rare as a Glock that doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderTattoo View Post
    I wouldn't call what happened at the campground with Gogo, M1, Deros and others, a "bad encounter". They all handled the ranger perfectly, from the reports of those there. No one was detained, arrested, handcuffed, or hauled off. That would be a bad encounter.
    True. A choice of bad wording. I agree with your statement.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderTattoo View Post
    Correct.

As to the OP's question. .060 is clearly an exception that allows you to carry concealed or open while engaging in the activities listed or any legitimate outdoor activity and includes in the vehicle while conducting the activity and traveling to or from.

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:
    <snip>
    (8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by jmika003 View Post
    Hi everyone!

I'm new here and new to gun ownership as of last Friday (yay!). I do not have my CPL (yet), but am planning on going camping this weekend and am obviously wanting to carry. Where I'm headed is a developed, National Forest Service campground. My specific question to you folks (understanding that you're not the "official" word) is whether or not I'm able to concealed carry based on RCW 9.41.060 Section (8) - the part that provides an exception to 9.41.050 for "Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area".

I guess my main concern is the fact that it's in a developed campground as opposed to being in the sticks. If the recommendation is against concealed carrying, then I supposed I always have the option of open carrying, though I would be admittedly nervous of having a similar experience to what gogodawgs outlined during my first time carrying.

Any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    As someone that has OC'd for over 40 years here in WA, I would suggest you carry the way that is most comfortable for you, and for which you have a proper holster. What 060(8) does for you is you do not have to unload when in your vehicle, and it makes no difference if you are wearing a coat, which just happens to cover your OWB holster. In other words, don't worry about it one way or the other.

What I am saying is, you don't have to dress for the carry. I, personally OC, and prefer OC because it is much more comfortable. My carries are not "in your face" but very subdued (unless hunting, then it is hard to conceal a big 6" Colt revolver). I have the habit of wearing a black holster with black pants, and a tan holster with tan pants..it helps the carry to blend in. I have OC'd in many NFS campground, developed and otherwise, never had a problem.

In over 40 years of OC I have had one LEO encounter, and that was with the Colt, and it was all of two words. him "Hunting?" me "yep". That was the total encounter, and that happened 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    Just OC when out of the car. Yes, there have been some issues in the past and there may be issues for some in the future. I've OC'd for over two years with no negative encounters. I just spent over an hour in a Chase bank setting up a new account with nothing said. Check out the sticky's of state laws. Unload before you get in your car (until you get your CPL). Carry on-welcome. Study, interact, and learn.
    No need to unload...exempt via 060(8)

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    No need to unload...exempt via 060(8)
    I know, I just like to er on the side of caution. Especially for a new person. (plan for the worst==hope for the best--the needs of the many outweigh the needs of a few).
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Wow, thanks for all of the replies everyone! I spent quite a bit of time "lurking" as they say, and this seems like a great, knowledgeable community. I look forward to expanding my knowledge and learning from everyone's experiences here...maybe someday I'll be able to contribute something! Thanks again!

I concur with all of the above. In the last two weeks I've been Camping/OC at Steamboat Rock State Park and Sullivan Lake NFS Campground without issues at either. A lot of folks here also just got back from Wenatchee State Park also while OC without issue. Like was said, just be familiar with Laws, maybe print out a Pamphlet to keep handy with you also as quick reference until you get more RCW's memorized. You'd be suprised at how much you can remember once you start OC'ing. Its helpful to be able to reply in a quick professional manner if someone has questions or concerns about your chosen method of carry if OC.

-Thor