• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

reloaders chime in!!!

hazardous0388

Is it me, or does the gunshow around here have better prices on reloading supplies than local shops???

I only reload pistol cartridges. Most places around here dont offer deals for buying 1000/5000 primers nor for buying bulk bullets.
i personally cast my own bullets due to my free source of wheel weights but i am trying to get a good amount of either fmj or jhp's made up for a 'shtf' scenario. I have been to arms and ammo in ash grove, but its hit or miss on if the product i need is actually in stock.

If anyone in the area or surrounding areas are aware I can get a better deal on buying bulk items ( 4 lb powder, 1000/5000 primers, 500/1000 bullets) please let me know. I just dont see a point in spending $50 for 1000 winchester primers when they can be had for $115 for 5000 at gun show!!!

Thanks.

RugerDan

Graf & Sons in Mexico MO is the place I use, I get 1000 fmj 9mm for around $75 they offer good deals on bulk powder but the hazmat shipping charge hurts so you need to pick it up if you can

REALteach4u

hazardous, you and I need to link up sometime and head up to the Sierra plant in Sedalia. Bring plenty of cash and grocery bags!
What components are you after? I'm fairly new to reloading, but I spent over 6 months researching what direction I wanted to go before I dove in. I've had great results so far with the equipment and components that I purchased. So shop around, good deals can be found from time to time, there are a few shops that will gouge you for a dollar in profits on everything. You'll see quickly which ones fall in that category. Since I burned through 1500 primers in just a few days I'll be shopping around for small pistol primers again. I may have a lead on some near Bolivar that the price might be just right, I'll PM you if it winds up being that good and if it can be had at the 5000 count mark.

Use extreme caution buying components and full cartridges at the gun shows. Blemished products run crazy out there and someone has been selling reloads claiming they are factory ammunition, it's even in factory boxes but it's easily identifiable as hand cast reloads.

By the way, if you need tumbling media stay away from buying the dedicated retail product. You can get tumbling media a lot cheaper. Shooter has a source near Stockton that will save a bit more over what I paid for bulk bags in Springfield. I was lucky to find what I did for the price I paid.

Are you factoring in the door fee on top of your supply costs at the show? Remember, most of the folks selling reloading supplies are business owners and have BIG bulk purchases, so much so that they can obtain the "free hazmat" shipping from most suppliers. So your good deal is actually making them some pretty good money. Hate to say it, but sometimes it's better to spend your money local.

That deal in Mexico, Mo sounds nice IF it's not plated bullets. I'm not a fan of the plated bullets yet.

Last edited:

hazardous0388

Main things i want are primers and powder. I usually buy in bigger quantity. For example I purchased 10,000 primers.

I got a few cards from the people i purchased from at the show so i may jus call in a large order for the next show.

I wont buy locally at the current prices. Im all for buying and supporting local business but reloading is good because it reduces cost to shoot. Im going to save as much money as possible.

REALteach4u

Main things i want are primers and powder. I usually buy in bigger quantity. For example I purchased 10,000 primers.

I got a few cards from the people i purchased from at the show so i may jus call in a large order for the next show.

I wont buy locally at the current prices. Im all for buying and supporting local business but reloading is good because it reduces cost to shoot. Im going to save as much money as possible.

I'm afraid you need to visit one and only one place if you are forced to buy local to meet your bulk-buy needs: EDI in Nixa.
I'm not a big fan of Steve's because of his attitude (he's gotten better), but he's the place to go if you want it in bulk and if you need it.

Rules to follow at EDI:
Take cash! He will charge extra and can give you a sour look when paying with plastic.
Don't wander aimlessly. You might eventually get an attitude from him for window shopping.
Don't ask a bunch of questions. He believes his time is more valuable than yours.
Become a good repeat customer. He appreciates repeat customers and referrals, even if he gives you the "What the hell do you want?" when you walk through the door.
Don't try to "wheel and deal" with him, he'll just play games with you unless you're an established repeat customer or an attractive female.
Understand that when others run out, he's likely got it.

I haven't been out there in a while because of his attitude, but I still refer business his way so long as folks know in advance what to expect. Now that I'm reloading I may hit him up as a cash patron.

By all means, if you can save a few bucks (including the door fee) on components by pre-ordering for a show, then do so. However, if you can work a deal to buy in large enough quantaties to get that hazmat-free deal then go for it. If I could find just one that would cut me an instructor price deal I'd buy a lot more components.

Last edited:

Shooter64738

For plated bullets, you may try the rainier bullets. Ive had pretty good luck with those in all pistol calibers. As for primers, i usually spend $150-$160 on 5000 primers. I go to the the sierra factory 5 or 6 times a year and buy their seconds bullets which turns out to be pretty cheap. Brass is now my weak link. I need more of it and its awful expensive. Ocassionaly natchez will have a good deal on components and I'll try and restock what i can. If you go to Sedalia might as well head over to midwayusa in columbia and avoid the shipping charges on components there.

Things are starting to backlog again. Most of the large producers and sellers are showing backorders out to november and beyond for popular components like .224" bullets. Im afraid things are going to get harder and harder to find as the election nears and the prices are going to go through the roof.

REALteach4u

You're not the first person that has said that about Rainer plated bullets.

I'm considering an ammo can stockpile of components to keep me going.