Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Sam's Club

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toledo, OH
    Posts
    55

    Sam's Club

    Wanting to get everyone's opinion here.

    Today I was OC at Sam's Club. I was approached twice by an employee, once to casually ask if we needed any help, which after he started following us. the second time, he asked if my gun was real. I of course replied that yes it was. He then told me that I was not allowed to carry that in there. I asked, why, since I didn't see any signs on the doors. He thought there was, so the employee, myself, and the other two people in my party all walked up to the front of the store, right out the doors, and I showed him that there was, indeed, no signs posted. I explained that since there were no signs posted, there wasn't anything stopping me, but if he felt uncomfortable by the situation, I would leave the gun outside.

    He said that it doesn't bother him personally, he just had a customer ask him about it, and he thought that I couldn't do it in the store. This then broke into a short conversation about the laws behind open carry. Afterwards, we shook hands, and my party and I continued on through the store.

    After this encounter, would you guys think that this Sam's Club is still an alright place to carry? Assuming they don't suddenly post signs now.
    Last edited by Noel Avenelle; 05-24-2012 at 12:43 AM.

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Sam's Club is Wal-Mart. Their official policy is to follow state laws.

    This employee admitted he had no authority from a supervisor to follow and question you, but was acting out of his own ignorance and wrong ASSumptions.

    I would never offer to leave my firearm; and if told I must, I would not be coming back in.
    Last edited by MAC702; 05-24-2012 at 01:52 AM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  3. #3
    Regular Member MyWifeSaidYes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Logan, OH
    Posts
    1,028
    Well handled, actually.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

    Recoil.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,929
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Sam's Club is Wal-Mart. Their official policy is to follow state laws.

    This employee admitted he had no authority from a supervisor to follow and question you, but was acting out of his own ignorance and wrong ASSumptions.

    I would never offer to leave my firearm; and if told I must, I would not be coming back in.
    +10

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    19
    Noel you handled this just fine
    You walked away with a friend and no hard feelings. And gave this man some education, [witch he needed] you made a good step in the right direction. The worst thing we can do is start turning business against us, one by one.
    Thank you coyote223

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    I think you did well! In the future you may want to avoid mentioning the fact that a business doesn't have a sign. It may just prompt them to put one up.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  7. #7
    Regular Member MyWifeSaidYes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Logan, OH
    Posts
    1,028
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    I think you did well! In the future you may want to avoid mentioning the fact that a business doesn't have a sign. It may just prompt them to put one up.
    In this case, the employee thought the signs were already posted.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

    Recoil.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    SouthWest Ohio
    Posts
    45
    i oc at mcdonalds today and had no issues in amelia...

  9. #9
    Regular Member hermannr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Okanogan Highland
    Posts
    2,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Noel Avenelle View Post
    Wanting to get everyone's opinion here.

    Today I was OC at Sam's Club. I was approached twice by an employee, once to casually ask if we needed any help, which after he started following us. the second time, he asked if my gun was real. I of course replied that yes it was. He then told me that I was not allowed to carry that in there. I asked, why, since I didn't see any signs on the doors. He thought there was, so the employee, myself, and the other two people in my party all walked up to the front of the store, right out the doors, and I showed him that there was, indeed, no signs posted. I explained that since there were no signs posted, there wasn't anything stopping me, but if he felt uncomfortable by the situation, I would leave the gun outside.

    He said that it doesn't bother him personally, he just had a customer ask him about it, and he thought that I couldn't do it in the store. This then broke into a short conversation about the laws behind open carry. Afterwards, we shook hands, and my party and I continued on through the store.

    After this encounter, would you guys think that this Sam's Club is still an alright place to carry? Assuming they don't suddenly post signs now.
    In any Sam's Club or Wal-Mart, just remind the person that Corporate policy is to follow state law. If they would like to check with their District manager, that would fine with you, or you could contact the district manager for them. Believe me, they don't want that to happen if they plan on going anywhere in that company.
    Last edited by hermannr; 06-04-2012 at 06:51 PM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toledo, OH
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Magickallife View Post
    i oc at mcdonalds today and had no issues in amelia...
    I actually OCed at a McDonald's recently. The manager and I had a discussion because he carries, too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •