• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sam's Club

Noel Avenelle

Wanting to get everyone's opinion here.

Today I was OC at Sam's Club. I was approached twice by an employee, once to casually ask if we needed any help, which after he started following us. the second time, he asked if my gun was real. I of course replied that yes it was. He then told me that I was not allowed to carry that in there. I asked, why, since I didn't see any signs on the doors. He thought there was, so the employee, myself, and the other two people in my party all walked up to the front of the store, right out the doors, and I showed him that there was, indeed, no signs posted. I explained that since there were no signs posted, there wasn't anything stopping me, but if he felt uncomfortable by the situation, I would leave the gun outside.

He said that it doesn't bother him personally, he just had a customer ask him about it, and he thought that I couldn't do it in the store. This then broke into a short conversation about the laws behind open carry. Afterwards, we shook hands, and my party and I continued on through the store.

After this encounter, would you guys think that this Sam's Club is still an alright place to carry? Assuming they don't suddenly post signs now.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Sam's Club is Wal-Mart. Their official policy is to follow state laws.

This employee admitted he had no authority from a supervisor to follow and question you, but was acting out of his own ignorance and wrong ASSumptions.

I would never offer to leave my firearm; and if told I must, I would not be coming back in.

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

Sam's Club is Wal-Mart. Their official policy is to follow state laws.

This employee admitted he had no authority from a supervisor to follow and question you, but was acting out of his own ignorance and wrong ASSumptions.

I would never offer to leave my firearm; and if told I must, I would not be coming back in.

+10

coyote223

Noel you handled this just fine
You walked away with a friend and no hard feelings. And gave this man some education, [witch he needed] you made a good step in the right direction. The worst thing we can do is start turning business against us, one by one.
Thank you coyote223

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I think you did well! In the future you may want to avoid mentioning the fact that a business doesn't have a sign. It may just prompt them to put one up.

hermannr

Wanting to get everyone's opinion here.

Today I was OC at Sam's Club. I was approached twice by an employee, once to casually ask if we needed any help, which after he started following us. the second time, he asked if my gun was real. I of course replied that yes it was. He then told me that I was not allowed to carry that in there. I asked, why, since I didn't see any signs on the doors. He thought there was, so the employee, myself, and the other two people in my party all walked up to the front of the store, right out the doors, and I showed him that there was, indeed, no signs posted. I explained that since there were no signs posted, there wasn't anything stopping me, but if he felt uncomfortable by the situation, I would leave the gun outside.

He said that it doesn't bother him personally, he just had a customer ask him about it, and he thought that I couldn't do it in the store. This then broke into a short conversation about the laws behind open carry. Afterwards, we shook hands, and my party and I continued on through the store.

After this encounter, would you guys think that this Sam's Club is still an alright place to carry? Assuming they don't suddenly post signs now.

In any Sam's Club or Wal-Mart, just remind the person that Corporate policy is to follow state law. If they would like to check with their District manager, that would fine with you, or you could contact the district manager for them. Believe me, they don't want that to happen if they plan on going anywhere in that company.

Last edited: