Thread: "Modified Grooming Standards"?

"Modified Grooming Standards"?

I was in the Barnes And Noble Books in Rockville MD this evening, and I saw a fully-uniformed male MoCo County Police officer with shoulder-length cornrows.

Unfortunately I didn't think to snap a picture with my phone, because I was so nonplussed that it just slipped my mind.

What next, will they stop wearing belts, and let their uniform pants sag around the middle of their butt-cheeks, and carry their Glocks in their waistbands without holsters?
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

If the standard is "hair off your collar" & his was off his collar, then apparently it's OK.
    If they have varying standards based on plumbing or skin color, the department has a problem.
    Big discrimination suit in the making.
    (Except for men shaving - I understand it's more common for blacks to have some sort of issue stemming from shaving, so men in uniform who have that issue are usually allowed a small neatly-trimmed beard/mustache.)

I consider is a positive thing when I see a uniformed police officer with grooming standards that would be accepted in most jobs, rather than mil-spec.

When I was subject to to AR670-1, I adhered rigidly. When I was promoted to PFC, I let my conscience and job marketability be my guide.

Since police are also civilians, they should as well. If this officer's hair would be acceptable on a clerk at City Hall, it should be acceptable in uniform and on patrol.

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    Since police are also civilians, they should as well. If this officer's hair would be acceptable on a clerk at City Hall, it should be acceptable in uniform and on patrol.
    From what I know about MoCo government jobs, the only people in City Hall who would be "acceptable" with that particular haircut would usually be standing in the "defendants" box in court.

It's hard enough to tell the LEOs from the criminals in MD, based on their actions and attitudes toward the public. Now it's getting so yo can't even tell them apart by sight, except for the patches on their shoulders.

Just sayin'...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 05-26-2012 at 10:45 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    From what I know about MoCo government jobs, the only people in City Hall who would be "acceptable" with that particular haircut would usually be standing in the "defendants" box in court.

It's hard enough to tell the LEOs from the criminals in MD, based on their actions and attitudes toward the public. Now it's getting so yo can't even tell them apart by sight, except for the patches on their shoulders.

Just sayin'...
    Most state's LE officials are allowed to have longer than normal hair if they operate a percentage of their duty undercover.

If an undercover police officer with a "high & tight" haircut was trying to buy or sell drugs and entrap a person, he would probably have less luck.
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson