• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Modified Grooming Standards"?

Dreamer

I was in the Barnes And Noble Books in Rockville MD this evening, and I saw a fully-uniformed male MoCo County Police officer with shoulder-length cornrows.

Unfortunately I didn't think to snap a picture with my phone, because I was so nonplussed that it just slipped my mind.

What next, will they stop wearing belts, and let their uniform pants sag around the middle of their butt-cheeks, and carry their Glocks in their waistbands without holsters?

MKEgal

If the standard is "hair off your collar" & his was off his collar, then apparently it's OK.
If they have varying standards based on plumbing or skin color, the department has a problem.
Big discrimination suit in the making.
(Except for men shaving - I understand it's more common for blacks to have some sort of issue stemming from shaving, so men in uniform who have that issue are usually allowed a small neatly-trimmed beard/mustache.)

KBCraig

I consider is a positive thing when I see a uniformed police officer with grooming standards that would be accepted in most jobs, rather than mil-spec.

When I was subject to to AR670-1, I adhered rigidly. When I was promoted to PFC, I let my conscience and job marketability be my guide.

Since police are also civilians, they should as well. If this officer's hair would be acceptable on a clerk at City Hall, it should be acceptable in uniform and on patrol.

Dreamer

Since police are also civilians, they should as well. If this officer's hair would be acceptable on a clerk at City Hall, it should be acceptable in uniform and on patrol.

From what I know about MoCo government jobs, the only people in City Hall who would be "acceptable" with that particular haircut would usually be standing in the "defendants" box in court.

It's hard enough to tell the LEOs from the criminals in MD, based on their actions and attitudes toward the public. Now it's getting so yo can't even tell them apart by sight, except for the patches on their shoulders.

Just sayin'...

Last edited:

Sig229

From what I know about MoCo government jobs, the only people in City Hall who would be "acceptable" with that particular haircut would usually be standing in the "defendants" box in court.

It's hard enough to tell the LEOs from the criminals in MD, based on their actions and attitudes toward the public. Now it's getting so yo can't even tell them apart by sight, except for the patches on their shoulders.

Just sayin'...

Most state's LE officials are allowed to have longer than normal hair if they operate a percentage of their duty undercover.

If an undercover police officer with a "high & tight" haircut was trying to buy or sell drugs and entrap a person, he would probably have less luck.