Thread: not sure what to lable it question

not sure what to lable it question

Is a parole officer considered law enforcement? meaning they can carry in schools, day cares or what not?

Generally speaking parole officers are not LEO. They have not attended a police academy. They do not have general powers of arrest. Not all of them are certified by their agency to carry firearms.

That being said, KY state law is where you need to go to find the precise answer to your question. http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/196-00/037.PDF says that
    While acting for the Department in any capacity entailing the maintainance of custody over any prisoners ....
    I'm pretty sure that there would be few occassions when a parole officer would be maintaining custody over any prisoner in "schools, day cares, or what nots".

Are you going to be a PO? Or did some PO tell you that they can carry just because they are a PO?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Kentucky Probation and Parole work for the Corrections Department. They are LEO in matters over parolees and probationers and have arrest powers. They are also authorized to carry firearms.
    http://corrections.ky.gov/Pages/default.aspx
    Speed is fine
    Accuracy is final

no, there is a woman at my kids daycare that comes in carrying picking up her kids. seen her a few times, had the belt with the handcuffs and what not, so i figured well she might be a detective where she was in plain clothes, didn't see any car outside with an official state tag, was like hum. so i ask the owner is that woman a detective or something, she told me no, that she was a parole officer. and shes has been asked to please leave her firearm in her vehicle. So, I did not know if a parole officer had the same liberties as a leo. I do not know if the other kids notice it or not but mine pointed it out to me quick "daddy daddy she has a weapon." so i was curious.

now that i read that, if she is not on official business ie. picking up a prisoner or what not, she is not allowed to have firearms is such a place, have i read that right?
    Last edited by Curtis C; 05-24-2012 at 10:15 AM.

If it's a privately owned day care, I'd say the legality of it is irrelevant. If the daycare doesn't want weapons on premises, thats their business.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2