• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

not sure what to lable it question

Curtis C

Is a parole officer considered law enforcement? meaning they can carry in schools, day cares or what not?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Generally speaking parole officers are not LEO. They have not attended a police academy. They do not have general powers of arrest. Not all of them are certified by their agency to carry firearms.

That being said, KY state law is where you need to go to find the precise answer to your question. http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/196-00/037.PDF says that
While acting for the Department in any capacity entailing the maintainance of custody over any prisoners ....
I'm pretty sure that there would be few occassions when a parole officer would be maintaining custody over any prisoner in "schools, day cares, or what nots".

Are you going to be a PO? Or did some PO tell you that they can carry just because they are a PO?

stay safe.

Curtis C

no, there is a woman at my kids daycare that comes in carrying picking up her kids. seen her a few times, had the belt with the handcuffs and what not, so i figured well she might be a detective where she was in plain clothes, didn't see any car outside with an official state tag, was like hum. so i ask the owner is that woman a detective or something, she told me no, that she was a parole officer. and shes has been asked to please leave her firearm in her vehicle. So, I did not know if a parole officer had the same liberties as a leo. I do not know if the other kids notice it or not but mine pointed it out to me quick "daddy daddy she has a weapon." so i was curious.

now that i read that, if she is not on official business ie. picking up a prisoner or what not, she is not allowed to have firearms is such a place, have i read that right?

Last edited:

langzaiguy

If it's a privately owned day care, I'd say the legality of it is irrelevant. If the daycare doesn't want weapons on premises, thats their business.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2