• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got Noticed... Way More than Usual!

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
Yesterday turned out strange. As a rule, when open carrying, I never get any comments. Yesterday was way different. I wore my RIA 1911 in a Serpa style holster on my right hip.

I was doing work on my evergreen bushes out front of the house. Trimming them back with electric clippers. A man drove by in a blue SUV and said to me "Isn't it great to live in Colorado where Open Carry is legal?" I looked up from my labors and smiled broadly as I replied "You bet it is!" As the guy reached the corner and looked back, I shouted "Open Carry dot Org!!!"

I've never seen that guy before, and thought it remarkable that he said something.

Later that day, I was shopping at King Soopers when a pair of young (25ish) men said "You carrying your gun like that, you a cop or got a permit or something?" They were astounded when I told them open carry is legal. "If you can walk into a gun store, pass the background check and walk out with a handgun you've purchased, yeah... you can carry it openly. Just stay the heck out of Denver city and county, school zones and the like." As I was putting my purchased victuals into the Jeep, they came out and approached me again. "Yeah, but to openly carry, you gotta have a permit, right?"
"While I have a permit, it isn't required for open carry. You only need a carry permit to carry concealed in Colorado."
I then used my Droid to pull up Article 2, section 13 of the Colorado Constitution to show them the precise wording.
"Shall not be called into question". They were rocked! I explained that there are certain restrictions and they might consider checking out Open Carry.Org for more information. Guess we will see if they turn up! LOL!

Then later, we drove to a Country Kitchen Buffet situated at the old Stapleton area. Yeah... Denver! And yeah, I open carry there because it's private property, and so long as the management doesn't object or ask me to leave, I'll open carry! Anyhow..............

We walked to the table, and a group of 3 folks were sitting at a table we passed by. One of the gentlemen saw my 1911 and asked "Do you know the hammer is back on that handgun?!?!?!" I needed to pee something awful, and simply said "Yes, I do!" then ran off to have myself a tinkle tantrum. When I returned, I approached that gentleman. "I didn't mean to short-change you on an answer so I figured I should explain a bit more.
This holster is a safety of sorts. It covers the trigger guard completely, so nothing can pull the trigger unexpectedly. Second, I have the safety on, which can be turned off as the handgun is being drawn because it is mounted right where it can be naturally clicked off as my hand takes hold. With the safety on, the firing pin is rotated out of position and the slide is locked. The slide cannot move with the safety on." He seemed to appreciate that I took the time to talk with him. He told me they are up here from Texas and he carries concealed with a permit. I explained that I open carry as a matter of preference. "Since you are from Texas, you are likely very much aware of restaurant shootings that happen there. Should somebody try that sort of thing here, I'd put a stop to it before they can do much damage."

Anyhow... that's how my day went yesterday. 3 comments from 3 different encounters with other citizens. That's more comments than I usually hear in a whole month of open carrying. Kinda odd, ain't it? Maybe it has something to do with spring coming on. I dunno. But it struck me as odd!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
Howdy Folks!
Yesterday turned out strange. As a rule, when open carrying, I never get any comments. Yesterday was way different. I wore my RIA 1911 in a Serpa style holster on my right hip.

I was doing work on my evergreen bushes out front of the house. Trimming them back with electric clippers. A man drove by in a blue SUV and said to me "Isn't it great to live in Colorado where Open Carry is legal?" I looked up from my labors and smiled broadly as I replied "You bet it is!" As the guy reached the corner and looked back, I shouted "Open Carry dot Org!!!"

I've never seen that guy before, and thought it remarkable that he said something.

Later that day, I was shopping at King Soopers when a pair of young (25ish) men said "You carrying your gun like that, you a cop or got a permit or something?" They were astounded when I told them open carry is legal. "If you can walk into a gun store, pass the background check and walk out with a handgun you've purchased, yeah... you can carry it openly. Just stay the heck out of Denver city and county, school zones and the like." As I was putting my purchased victuals into the Jeep, they came out and approached me again. "Yeah, but to openly carry, you gotta have a permit, right?"
"While I have a permit, it isn't required for open carry. You only need a carry permit to carry concealed in Colorado."
I then used my Droid to pull up Article 2, section 13 of the Colorado Constitution to show them the precise wording.
"Shall not be called into question". They were rocked! I explained that there are certain restrictions and they might consider checking out Open Carry.Org for more information. Guess we will see if they turn up! LOL!

Then later, we drove to a Country Kitchen Buffet situated at the old Stapleton area. Yeah... Denver! And yeah, I open carry there because it's private property, and so long as the management doesn't object or ask me to leave, I'll open carry! Anyhow..............

We walked to the table, and a group of 3 folks were sitting at a table we passed by. One of the gentlemen saw my 1911 and asked "Do you know the hammer is back on that handgun?!?!?!" I needed to pee something awful, and simply said "Yes, I do!" then ran off to have myself a tinkle tantrum. When I returned, I approached that gentleman. "I didn't mean to short-change you on an answer so I figured I should explain a bit more.
This holster is a safety of sorts. It covers the trigger guard completely, so nothing can pull the trigger unexpectedly. Second, I have the safety on, which can be turned off as the handgun is being drawn because it is mounted right where it can be naturally clicked off as my hand takes hold. With the safety on, the firing pin is rotated out of position and the slide is locked. The slide cannot move with the safety on." He seemed to appreciate that I took the time to talk with him. He told me they are up here from Texas and he carries concealed with a permit. I explained that I open carry as a matter of preference. "Since you are from Texas, you are likely very much aware of restaurant shootings that happen there. Should somebody try that sort of thing here, I'd put a stop to it before they can do much damage."

Anyhow... that's how my day went yesterday. 3 comments from 3 different encounters with other citizens. That's more comments than I usually hear in a whole month of open carrying. Kinda odd, ain't it? Maybe it has something to do with spring coming on. I dunno. But it struck me as odd!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing with us but thank you even more for educating those other folks!

O2HeN2

Hey M, sorry, the engineer in me has a question:

Howdy Folks! With the safety on, the firing pin is rotated out of position...

Is this something unique to the RIA 1911? Because the only firing pin safety on an 1911 I know of is Colt's "Series 80" safety where a pin locks the firing pin in place until the trigger is depressed.

O2HeN2

Last edited:

Gunslinger

The thumb safety locks the sear and hammer on a 1911, has nothing to do with the firing pin. It also locks the slide, of course. The grip safety won't allow trigger pull, unless depressed. As noted, series 80 Colt type 1911s also have firing pin blocks. My SIGs are both series 80 style. However, nothing "moves" the firing pin, only blocks it.

Last edited:

Keens

Fantastic, M! Your post cracked me up and brightened my day! I almost never get any comments, they either don't care or don't notice. Maybe 1% will give me a frown, and I've only had a very few folks who looked curious and kept checking out my sidearm. As for Denver, I just try to stay the hell away from ther! If I do have to venture there, I CC.

rushcreek2

Actually I believe it is a very GOOD sign when you get one of those rather perturbed frowns say like I did in the meat department at Albertson's yesterday. We particularly need to irritate the anti's by exercising our 2A. Then they have 2 choices either learn to respect the 2A (and Colorado law), or move back to Kalifornia from whence they most likely came.

rushcreek2

Well - I actually ran into one of those Kalifornia refugees at the Wooodmen Walmart this afternoon.

The wife & I had finished shopping, and had checked out when we decided to grab a sandwich at the Mc D. When I picked up our order, and sat down at the table with my wife this older gent on my right doesn't hesitate one second to comment ..." That looks like a gun." To which I turned, smiled, and responded...' Well, I sure hope so." He then asked " Are you worried ?" I said "Nope." He replied that he got rid of all of his guns that he used to have for hunting. I told him that mine was for self defense, and that I wasn't much into hunting anymore.

During the conversation he talked about his having retiring from the Navy, and worked for NASA in the S.F. Bay area of CA for some years, before moving to Colorado Springs.

I didn't feel any need to explain Colorado law to him, since he didn't take any exception to my wearing a side arm. It apparently got his attention since it is rare sight even in COS. He just wanted to talk so we did.

No one else in the Mc D sitdown area seemed concerned about my presence so - just another rather typical day in Colorado Springs.

since9

Campaign Veteran

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Cool, M! I think it's Spring. I've noticed when winter finally lifts Coloradans are downright neighborly!