• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WSET Lynchburg (ABC) Story: Incorrect Information on Gun Ownership Requirements

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
http://www.wset.com/story/18608660/local-gun-courses-filled-for-months

Snip: Lynchburg Arms and Indoor Shooting Range says they are full until August. The basic course is necessary if you want to own a gun. It walks you from zero experience to shooting on the range. It also covers handgun safety and how to care for one. Managers say they are seeing a large rise in women signing up too.

After multiple calls the information is still incorrect on their website. They finally decided to post some of the comments to correct them, but feel free to leave another if you like. People don't need to think that gun ownership is more cumbersome than it truly is.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I just tried the link and then tried to find it separately with no luck. It looks like the story has been pulled. Maybe they'll correct it and put it back up. We were watching the news last night when we heard the anchor read the incorrect information and the wife called the station to tell them the info was wrong. Apparently the person she talked to was pleasant and said she'd check the script to see if the anchor added it in error. We then noticed the story online with wrong information and the wife commented online that the information was wrong and provided correct info on when a course was needed and what was acceptable for the training requirement for a CHP. Nothing showed up until about an hour or so ago, so the wife called them again and the person she talked to didn't seem too happy that someone was telling them their story was wrong. The wifester told the woman on the phone that there is already so much incorrect information about gun ownership, she felt the station was obliged to correct the story, especially since that may be the only way people would even be aware of the information. Eventually the comments were posted, but now it looks like the story is gone.

Generally WSET is pretty fair in the treatment of firearm related stories and news in general. Unless I begin to see a trend, I'll tend to think this was just a simple mistake.

davestradamus

I noticed the "required for" or whatever the verbage was.... If you search for "gun" you will see two stories. The bottom most one works for me but the top doesnt.

The Wolfhound

Some one take that reporter to the range

He introduced it as referencing "Conceal and Carry" then morphed it into ownership. Likely "He don't know no better". Some one should assist in his education.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Like I said above, what he's saying is just coming from the script (think teleprompter). Our major issue was the incorrect information that remained in print, but that seems to be gone. I'd have rather seen it updated, but I suppose it's just as well that it came down.

This particular story followed a story about a local woman who was a survivor of a pretty nasty beating at the hands of her former husband. Except for the goof on the ownership part, the whole of it was well balanced. I just wanted the ownership part corrected.