• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"federal" banks

self preservation

I know a lot of banks have the word "federal" in their name. Are these banks actual federal buildings? I know some banks post the "no guns allowed" signs, but I wonder if any banks are true federal buildings and are gun free due to law? Someone recently told me that all banks are gun free zones because they are federally insured (FDIC) but I don't think thats right.

SoLasVegas

As far as I know, there are no banks that are actually owned and operated by the federal government. Even the US central bank, the Federal Reserve, is not a government agency - it is a system of privately owned banks.

Usually, when the name of the bank includes "federal", it means that they incorporated under federal laws and are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller in DC. If a bank uses "state" then it usually means they incorporated under state law and are regulated by the laws of the state.

DocWalker

The only bank the federal goverment owns is Ft. Knox.

They put the word "federal" in there name to show it is a Federally Insured Bank and to convey that your money is safe there.

I'm a member of a Federal Credit Union but it is a private bank with a fancy name.

self preservation

There is no federal or Ky. state law that prohibits guns in banks. Federal Express is not government owned. Federal Ammunition is not government owned. Federal Way is a street in Seattle. My car is insured by Allstate, but Allstate does not own it or determine whether guns are allowed in it. This myth has appeared several times in several different state forums and has never been found to be true in any state. There may be some state that prohibits guns in banks, but not Ky. One bank I do business with used to have stickers that read, "Bringing a gun into this bank is illegal". I challenged them on it and told them it was not a crime to do so. After a little research them took them down. Banks are private property and privately owned. They are not federal government property.

I actually own a thing or two that says "federal" on it but obviously isn't under any federal control. So I see what you are saying about the simple term "federal" not meaning sh!t. But with a bank being an actual building I just wanted to make sure. By the way, did you speak to your bank face to face or was it in the form of a letter? The reason I ask is because I am sending a letter to my bank over their "NGA" sign to see if I can convince them to remove it.

papa bear

one of the best answers i have heard on the FDIC thing was, that i have my house insured, but it does not mean the insurance company owns the house

since9

Campaign Veteran
I know a lot of banks have the word "federal" in their name. Are these banks actual federal buildings? I know some banks post the "no guns allowed" signs, but I wonder if any banks are true federal buildings and are gun free due to law? Someone recently told me that all banks are gun free zones because they are federally insured (FDIC) but I don't think thats right.

You are correct: FDIC banks and credit unions are NOT automatically "gun-free zones." They are private institutions the same as Walmart, IHOP, and others who respect local and state carry laws. When it comes to open carry, the owners (or members, for credit unions) set the standard when it comes to whether or not they will allow OC, CC, both, or neither.

FDIC simply means the deposits are insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) is an independent agency created by the Congress to maintain stability and public confidence in the nation's financial system by:
  • insuring deposits
  • examining and supervising financial institutions for safety and soundness[SUP]1[/SUP] and consumer protection
  • making large and complex financial institutions resolvable
  • managing receiverships

FDIC has absolutely ZERO authority to dictate a bank or credit union's decision to either respect or disrespect our Constitution.

[SUP]1[/SUP]"Safety and soundness" refers to best financial and banking practices ONLY. It has absolutely nothing to do with the physical safety of the bank's customers or patrons.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
After all these years this question still comes up. 5/3 bank has Ohio law posted on their northern Ky branches. So how smart are banks? And why would you put your money in a bank that doesn't know the law?

If you are going to carry a gun, know the damn laws. And cops don't know the law. And don't be so stupid to ask a cop what the law is. But, don't be so stupid not to ask the question. And I hope you are smart enough to know who to ask.

One last thing, many attorneys don't know the law either. An attorney's opinion is only worth what you pay for it. And if you are paying for it then get it in writing.

If you have any other question please feel free to ask us, our opinion is free.......

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
As far as I know, there are no banks that are actually owned and operated by the federal government. Even the US central bank, the Federal Reserve, is not a government agency - it is a system of privately owned banks.

Usually, when the name of the bank includes "federal", it means that they incorporated under federal laws and are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller in DC. If a bank uses "state" then it usually means they incorporated under state law and are regulated by the laws of the state.

I have a federal AR15 .. now bloomy should feel safe.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
How did this thread get going again? It was asleep for 4 years before since9 decided to revive it. Didn't we beat this dead horse enough 4 years ago? Is there anything we can add to this that will make a difference?
I guess since9 was having a slow day and was hankering to write something. He spun the wheel and landed on bank. And here we are.

papa bear

How did this thread get going again? It was asleep for 4 years before since9 decided to revive it. Didn't we beat this dead horse enough 4 years ago? Is there anything we can add to this that will make a difference?

Just to let you know. There might have been NEW members that have not seen this discussed. It is God for some to see this

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Many people have their homes insured by the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Their homes are no more government property than a federally-insured bank.

EDIT: Nothing wrong with adding on to an old thread when it's actually on topic. Some would rather thereafter bump it with criticism, though. Don't quite understand that one.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
200.gif

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That's just not good enough. This dead horse will need several more years of beating before it can be allowed to die it's well deserved death. You will not be allowed to "move on" until the very last lash of that beating.

Been said another way: The beatings will continue until morale improves. :)