Thread: Va. Assoc. of Chiefs of Police call for background check on private sales?

Va. Assoc. of Chiefs of Police call for background check on private sales?

From the Richmond Times-Dispatch, Friday, May 18.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/o...53/#fbcomments

Article is somewhat meandering. He talks about honoring the fallen officers and then gets to the meat about resticting gun sales. He seems to both ask for federal intervention and then to eschew it. Not at all well written or (maybe) edited.

Read it for yourself. Here are the crux paragraphs concerning the point he is trying to make, I think. Wonder where he got the 40% stat?

snip

"First, police chiefs across Virginia support establishing a federal law requiring background checks for all firearm sales so that those who should be denied guns are denied guns. Required background checks on all gun buyers would enforce the nation's 1968 Gun Control Act, which prohibits firearm possession by convicted felons, fugitives, illegal aliens, drug abusers, the mentally ill and other proscribed purchasers. This measure would have no impact on the rights of law-abiding citizens to purchase or own guns.

Currently, the federal Brady Law applies to gun sales through licensed dealers, but not to other sellers, who make up an estimated 40 percent of gun sales."
    snip

As noted in the article, this is the president of the VACP and the chief of police in Galax, VA.
    Last edited by riverrat10k; 05-24-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat10k View Post
    From the Richmond Times-Dispatch, Friday, May 18.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/o...53/#fbcomments

Article is somewhat meandering. He talks about honoring the fallen officers and then gets to the meat about resticting gun sales. He seems to both ask for federal intervention and then to eschew it. Not at all well written or (maybe) edited.

Read it for yourself. Here are the crux paragraphs concerning the point he is trying to make, I think. Wonder where he got the 40% stat?

snip

"First, police chiefs across Virginia support establishing a federal law requiring background checks for all firearm sales so that those who should be denied guns are denied guns. Required background checks on all gun buyers would enforce the nation's 1968 Gun Control Act, which prohibits firearm possession by convicted felons, fugitives, illegal aliens, drug abusers, the mentally ill and other proscribed purchasers. This measure would have no impact on the rights of law-abiding citizens to purchase or own guns.

Currently, the federal Brady Law applies to gun sales through licensed dealers, but not to other sellers, who make up an estimated 40 percent of gun sales."
    snip

As noted in the article, this is the president of the VACP and the chief of police in Galax, VA.
    I just made fallen officer comment #3 in my book of things that can't be repeated on family oriented boards!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Yep - then the criminals will give up their chosen avocation. Wow - what a theory, just pass another law.

The Chief is trying though................very trying.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

From the article, this is my favorite stupid point:

"Currently, the federal Brady Law applies to gun sales through licensed dealers, but not to other sellers, who make up an estimated 40 percent of gun sales. Brady Law background checks have saved lives. They stopped almost 2 million prohibited purchasers nationally in the first 16 years of the law. In Virginia, 8,457 prohibited purchases were stopped between January 2001 and August 2008 alone."

How dumb do they think people are? What does this really mean? 8,457 people who did not realize they were not qualified to purchase a firearm tried to purchase a firearm. Criminals are stupid, but I don't think very many of them are that stupid to try to buy a gun, knowing they would be denied.

If you don't even know you are not qualified, I would submit that you are not any more likely to use your gun in a criminal act than anyone else.

TFred

Honor Dead Cops - Promote Gun Control

I posted about this Chief's Op-Ed last week. The Post disappeared.

What the Chief seems to be doing is exploiting the officers killed in the line of duty to promote gun control.

Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    I posted about this Chief's Op-Ed last week. The Post disappeared.

What the Chief seems to be doing is exploiting the officers killed in the line of duty to promote gun control.
    Never let a good tragedy go to waste, right?