• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Peace of mind: OT somewhat.

DamonK

I was thinking something more along the lines of a bottomless pit hidden underneath a mat right in front of the front door. If you're supposed to be there, you know to go to the back, if your a mormon, jehova's witness, sales person (other than girlscout cookies of course), or anyone else bothering me, the world probably wont miss you all that much :lol:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
This was my first choice, but we're in WA so I had to go with my second choice.

Attachments

• GE_XM214_Minigun-2.jpg
    GE_XM214_Minigun-2.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 133

antispam540

I was thinking something more along the lines of a bottomless pit hidden underneath a mat right in front of the front door. If you're supposed to be there, you know to go to the back, if your a mormon, jehova's witness, sales person (other than girlscout cookies of course), or anyone else bothering me, the world probably wont miss you all that much :lol:

Seriously, if man-traps weren't illegal, I'd be right there with you.

DamonK

So a hole is illegal? Damn! I'm sueing all the cities and counties that I've hit potholes in that were deep enough to damage my tire/rims.

Trigger Dr

So a hole is illegal? Damn! I'm sueing all the cities and counties that I've hit potholes in that were deep enough to damage my tire/rims.

If you can demonstrate that you had given prior notice, in writing, to the city/county/state, that there was imminent danger to damage of vehicles, and you then hit the pot hole and damaged your vehicle, you stand an excellent chance at financial recovery. I recall a recent case in Seattle where the woman driver hit a pot hole, resulting in $4000 damage to her vehicle. The court denied reimbursement as she had not notified the city of the pot hole prior to damaging her vehicle.
No, I am not going to provide a cite, as you can google it just as I did.

Last edited:

Difdi

Fortune favors the prepared...

I've given considerable thought over the years to how to secure a structure, and one basic fact keeps cropping up:

Most of the ways you gain entrance to a house these days, whether you're a criminal or a cop, exploit one or more weaknesses common to houses in the U.S., rather than simply applying overpowering force. That door jamb thing in the first post of the thread is an example of this. Armoring a specific weakness in common residential door technology.

But if you're willing to put in some work, you can produce some interesting alternatives to the standard tech. For example, I once read about a guy who was targeted by home invasion robbers who literally drove a car through his front door to get inside. When he rebuilt the front of his house, he put in some VERY hefty frame reinforcements and mounted the front door section on truck leaf springs. The next time someone tries to drive through that door, they'll BOUNCE.

Most of the weaknesses in a conventional door don't apply to a pocket door. Especially one made of solid steel. You can even leave the doorknob in place; It either ends up as just a convenient handle to slide the door open with, or can actuate the locking bolts that hold the door shut. Properly designed, such a pocket door might actually be easier to open than a conventional security door. And if it overlaps the top, bottom and sides of the doorway by, say, six to twelve inches, and the door frame is suitably sturdy, an attacker might not get through it even with a ram mounted on a police APC.

There's a company in Florida that sells shatterproof windows, their commercials involve bowling balls and hard impacts. That same technology would prevent someone from entering your home through a broken window (or throwing bombs through a gap).

Aluminum (or steel) siding and either terra cotta or slate roof tiles can do wonders for exterior armor. Neither will stop bullets, but they can add some fire resistance, and a layer of plexi-glass or lexan underneath IS bulletproof. An automatic fire extinguishing system built into the eaves drastically improves the fire resistance.

You can get chain link fencing that follows military or prison specifications. Difficult to climb, hard to cut, very sturdy overall. Put that on the outer edge of your property, high enough to stop someone from hurdling it, and your perimeter becomes a lot less porous. Put some nice lattice-work trellis fences and climbing ivy on the outside, and it becomes a lot more visually attractive. The trellis-fences can be part of the defenses too, build them flimsy so any attempt to climb over (even with a ladder) will break them, with simple line-break electrical sensors built in. A cat or raccoon won't trip the alarm, but anything from kid size up will. And when the alarm goes off, start an audio/visual security camera system automatically. Even if it's the police, they will claim in their reports that they identified themselves whether they actually did or not. Having video to prove they didn't can save your ass. And if it's not police breaking in, you have proof your use of force in defense of your home was justified. If you're paranoid, have a publicly visible recorder and one (or more) hidden in hard to reach spots, with simultaneous recording; Cast into the foundation with a USB port hidden in a light fixture is probably overkill, but you never know. Videos showing police misconduct disappear all the time, after all.

For more vigorous incursions, you can build a moat. Say, about five feet across, about four feet deep, concrete-lined, with a sloping outer wall and a vertical inner one. Keep the water chlorinated and circulating to prevent mosquitoes, maybe put in some decorative artificial plants. If you heat it, you could even use it as an oddly-shaped swimming pool. And those dimensions aren't exactly arbitrary...they rather resemble a different sort of structure the Army is rather fond of...purely by coincidence, you understand. ;)

On a related note, you can put statuary in your yard. Dig a four foot deep hole, drop in a steel I-beam, surround it with tastefully ornamental cedar planks, and fill the gap with concrete. Set statutes, gazing spheres, potted plants, small fountains or what-have-you on the top of the post. Scatter them in staggered formation, about three or four feet apart (think of the five pips side of a pair of dice). Yes, this is paranoia talking, but even paranoids have enemies, heh.

Put all of that together with some exterior floodlights, and you get something that ought to keep out the average street gang or police for 12+ hours...the national guard for an hour or two, or the 101st airborne for about 5 minutes...

Just imagine, the first sign you have that the SWAT team would like to have a word with you, could be turning on the news during your leisurely breakfast, and discovering the "standoff"...

Levi

Depending on how much work you're willing to do, there's a lot of things that can radically improve the security of your house. Simply taking the cheap siding off your house and getting a brick facing put on it will dramatically increase the structure's survival under attack. You can also put up a steel mesh under the siding. Steel doors and frame can easily be set in traditional doorways. Bars have been used successfully for thousands of years on windows. (Window bars can be used in such a way that they can be released from the inside for fire escape.) You can get mechanical cipher locks, which are harder to defeat than traditional key locks, that drop right into traditional door hardware holes.