• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Movig to Colorado in the near future

joelkellom

Hello all. As the title states, I will most likely be moving to Colorado soon. I have a job lined up in Golden. So my question(s) would be. Where is a good place near by to stay? I am a country boy and hate big cities(Denver sounds just peachy as I've read so far on this forum:rolleyes:). I was looking at Boulder but ive heard some bad things on this forum. Does anyone have any input? It looks like theres some nice looking small towns near by in the mountains but i really have no clue about the area.

Im currently studying the interactive maps on OCDO to learn as much as I can about CO law and Im sure ill be chiming in soon with questions. But for now can anyone point me in the direction of a good town to live in?

thanks for your help,
Joel

JamesB

Coming from Fresno, I'm sure you will find something very close to Golden, and perhaps even in Golden that will suit your outdoorsy nature.

joelkellom

thats a big relief, and exactly what i figured. From reading around on the forums it seems like all I have to do is avoid Denver soil. My wife is excited to move. She wants a SBS, and I am looking forward to taking all the CA crap off my AMD-65

zach

And no where near enough of them are like the OP. Forget Mexico, we need to close the California border.

1 more ex-Kalifornian here. Just to clear the air on this, in my experience, most of the granola eaters that are moving to Boulder from California are not native to California. They moved from somewhere east of the Mississippi in hopes of striking in rich. Now that the economy is a bust, they have to get out of their upsidedown mortgage(that they planned on making a nice little profit on). Pack up the BMW and head east.... They are like the aliens from Independence Day, moving from location to location ruining everything around them.

Now, to the OP, welcome to the board from another country boy from SoCal. I'd say you should look along the foothills from Golden south down towards Roxborough. Now if the subdivision life doesn't suit you, head a little more up into the mountains. Evergreen, Morrison. Still not to far of a commute.

Deserteagle8338

And no where near enough of them are like the OP. Forget Mexico, we need to close the California border.

Everybody always talks about how great California is and they throw around some fancy names of their favorite place to look cool, like Santa Monica!!!!! Wooooooo!!! Spring break in LA!!!!!!

And yet tons of them move here and ruin Colorado. Maybe I just spend too much time in Boulder where half the cars have CA plates.

The OP seems like he is not a typical CA liberal, but most of the others from CA certainly are.

mahkagari

I'll echo staying near Golden. It's got a lot of development of all levels of lifestyle. Additionally, if you change jobs to DTC, Denver, or Boulder, it's still an easy commute. Someone else would have to echo specifically where.

F350

When we flew into Grand Junction to look for housing, the rental car had Kalifornia plates on it; I felt the "love" until I explained it was a rental and I was originally from Indiana.

joelkellom

The only reason I am in California is because I was born here. The only reason I've stayed this long is my love of my family and friends. Otherwise I would be living in a better state. I love my native state, but I hate what people/politicians/illegals/criminals/liberals have done to it. Theres trash lining the streets, gun laws up the @ss, and the crime is only going up(because all the good guys dont have guns anymore). From what I'm hearing on this thread maybe I will try to avoid Boulder. I cant stand people who look down their nose at you while they spew verbal diahrea about how much better the are than you. edit: which i get enough of already here in California

Last edited:

Logan 5

Hello all. As the title states, I will most likely be moving to Colorado soon. I have a job lined up in Golden. So my question(s) would be. Where is a good place near by to stay? I am a country boy and hate big cities(Denver sounds just peachy as I've read so far on this forum:rolleyes:). I was looking at Boulder but ive heard some bad things on this forum. Does anyone have any input? It looks like theres some nice looking small towns near by in the mountains but i really have no clue about the area.

Im currently studying the interactive maps on OCDO to learn as much as I can about CO law and Im sure ill be chiming in soon with questions. But for now can anyone point me in the direction of a good town to live in?

thanks for your help,
Joel

Oh, you'll love it! You see, Colorado has been infected by California to the point that the politics are nearly identical, though they have not advanced as far.
In Colorado you have the written laws, and then the laws and cops and judges make up as the situations change.

So you think you have the right to keep and bear arms, until a judge and his hookers decide different. If they want to take from you, they can. And they don't have to justify anything.

And hiring a lawyer does not ensure anything but helping the liar, err I mean lawyer pay for his hookers and his home.

Beau

Oh, you'll love it! You see, Colorado has been infected by California to the point that the politics are nearly identical, though they have not advanced as far.
In Colorado you have the written laws, and then the laws and cops and judges make up as the situations change.

So you think you have the right to keep and bear arms, until a judge and his hookers decide different. If they want to take from you, they can. And they don't have to justify anything.

And hiring a lawyer does not ensure anything but helping the liar, err I mean lawyer pay for his hookers and his home.
You're such a ray of sunshine! I feel bad taking you away from those in Utah that can benefit from your wisdom and cheery disposition. Tell you what. In order to ease my conscience why don't you stay in the Utah forum for a while. I would hate for them to think we are trying to steal you from them. k, bye.

since9

Campaign Veteran
You're such a ray of sunshine! I feel bad taking you away from those in Utah that can benefit from your wisdom and cheery disposition. Tell you what. In order to ease my conscience why don't you stay in the Utah forum for a while. I would hate for them to think we are trying to steal you from them. k, bye.

+1

What is it with these out-of-towners hopping over here merely to piss on us and our entire state? I would think they have enough to talk about in their own state's subsections.

Logan 5

Colorado is my home state. Born there, raised there, lived there for 30+ years of my 42 years and moved away from Colorado in Dec. of last year.

zach

The only reason I am in California is because I was born here. The only reason I've stayed this long is my love of my family and friends. Otherwise I would be living in a better state. I love my native state, but I hate what people/politicians/illegals/criminals/liberals have done to it. Theres trash lining the streets, gun laws up the @ss, and the crime is only going up(because all the good guys dont have guns anymore). From what I'm hearing on this thread maybe I will try to avoid Boulder. I cant stand people who look down their nose at you while they spew verbal diahrea about how much better the are than you. edit: which i get enough of already here in California

Exactly the reasons I left!

If you hunt, do yourself a favor. Buy the California lifetime so you can go back each year and hunt blacktail and Tule's. Wish I would have done it just for the chance to get a Tule elk.

M-Taliesin

Oh, you'll love it! You see, Colorado has been infected by California to the point that the politics are nearly identical, though they have not advanced as far. In Colorado you have the written laws, and then the laws and cops and judges make up as the situations change.

Howdy Pard!
I'd like to see some documentation on how it has changed. Most of the Californians I run into are here because of how things are in California.
Of those I've encountered, one of the reasons they came here, is because of restrictive laws in California. They came to Colorado because our laws are more tolerable and flexible. But if I've missed specific cases where our laws have changed negatively, especially as pertain to OC'ing (point of the whole forum BTW), I'd appreciate seeing specific citations to support the claim. What situational changes have led cops and judges to alter laws in Colorado? They actually are not able to alter any of the laws, as suggested here, because that's the job of the state legislature. The judges and cops are actually bound to adhere to the laws, not change them. Judges can interpret laws in creative ways, but if they do not adhere to the law itself, such cases get reversed on appeal. Unless, of course, I've missed specific cases. Can you provide citations to show where it has happened here? I'd appreciate it.

So you think you have the right to keep and bear arms, until a judge and his hookers decide different. If they want to take from you, they can. And they don't have to justify anything. And hiring a lawyer does not ensure anything but helping the liar, err I mean lawyer pay for his hookers and his home.

I'd definately need specific citations to the above statement. I don't know anybody who has had their rights yanked. Maybe I've missed something, but I haven't seen anything to support that contention. Please provide such citations to support that statement above.

If such ever did occur, I think you'd find a whole bunch of us taking action to address such abuses of a citizen's rights. We Coloradoans don't take kindly to having our rights infringed, and don't shy away from standing our ground against folks who would try to usurp them. So I really want to know where you got this idea.

What you seem to be saying, and I think it insulting to an uncomfortable degree, is that cops and judges infringe our rights with impunity, and we Colorado folk are just too yellow and chicken-hearted to confront abuses of our rights. If it ain't what you're saying outright, the meaning is there nevertheless. That's why I want you to provide citations for your claims. If you're calling us out, then I think you should lay your cards on the table so we understand why you're doing so.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

since9

Campaign Veteran
Colorado is my home state. Born there, raised there, lived there for 30+ years of my 42 years and moved away from Colorado in Dec. of last year.

You're not one of those who come over here and piss on us. Your inputs have been much the same as ours. We might disagree at times, but that's nothing new.

No, what I was talking about are out-of-state folks who come to the Colorado thread and try telling us our laws say x, y, and z when they really say a, b, and c. Or worse, they try to argue that our laws should be like their laws. :banghead:

Thankfully, you're not one of those.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Judges can interpret laws in creative ways, but if they do not adhere to the law itself, such cases get reversed on appeal.

I'll second that. I know a fairly liberal judge, and she's always complaining about how her rulings are overturned. As I understood her to say, it's not on appeal, but on review. From what I understand, some types of cases are automatically reviewed by a senior judge.

Logan 5

Howdy Pard!
I'd like to see some documentation on how it has changed. Most of the Californians I run into are here because of how things are in California.
Of those I've encountered, one of the reasons they came here, is because of restrictive laws in California. They came to Colorado because our laws are more tolerable and flexible. But if I've missed specific cases where our laws have changed negatively, especially as pertain to OC'ing (point of the whole forum BTW), I'd appreciate seeing specific citations to support the claim. What situational changes have led cops and judges to alter laws in Colorado? They actually are not able to alter any of the laws, as suggested here, because that's the job of the state legislature. The judges and cops are actually bound to adhere to the laws, not change them. Judges can interpret laws in creative ways, but if they do not adhere to the law itself, such cases get reversed on appeal. Unless, of course, I've missed specific cases. Can you provide citations to show where it has happened here? I'd appreciate it.
Ya got me. I can't. Instead I see it in the actions of the cops and judges. At least the judges I've dealt with.

I'd definately need specific citations to the above statement. I don't know anybody who has had their rights yanked. Maybe I've missed something, but I haven't seen anything to support that contention. Please provide such citations to support that statement above.

If such ever did occur, I think you'd find a whole bunch of us taking action to address such abuses of a citizen's rights. We Coloradoans don't take kindly to having our rights infringed, and don't shy away from standing our ground against folks who would try to usurp them. So I really want to know where you got this idea.

What you seem to be saying, and I think it insulting to an uncomfortable degree, is that cops and judges infringe our rights with impunity, and we Colorado folk are just too yellow and chicken-hearted to confront abuses of our rights. If it ain't what you're saying outright, the meaning is there nevertheless. That's why I want you to provide citations for your claims. If you're calling us out, then I think you should lay your cards on the table so we understand why you're doing so.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin
I used to take pride in being a native Coloradoan, but when I watch how the system has been turned anti-American, I couldn't wait to get out. I'll get you the case info sometime.

Last edited: