• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questions about Open Carry?

J.Mollick-NCCM

Since Ohio is an Open Carry State, and Memorial Day is just around the corner, if I goto the parade here in my town and open carry, is there going to be a problem? And if not, I should be allowed to carry whatever I want either pistol/rifle/or shotgun ?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Since Ohio is an Open Carry State, and Memorial Day is just around the corner, if I goto the parade here in my town and open carry, is there going to be a problem? And if not, I should be allowed to carry whatever I want either pistol/rifle/or shotgun ?

Welcome to OCDO - I'm sure someone from Ohio will be along shortly to respond to your state specific questions.

Please be aware of our Forum Rule, specifically as they relate to long guns.

• (14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

knightowl

Yes you can but you might get hassled by the cops so i would suggest a voice or video recorder to cover your self.
good luck and carry on.

MyWifeSaidYes

You can check other sites like Ohioans for Concealed Carry (www.ohioccw.org) If you register as a user, you will have access to their open carry discussion area. You can also read Ohio law and find that handguns, other than age of possession and concealability, are not really treated differently than rifles and shotguns.

If you OC your handgun, and keep it in a holster, and don't try to intimidate someone with it's presence, and are not under weapons disability, you should be legal. All that said, if a sheep calls 911 with a Man With A Gun complaint, you will get to meet a police officer or twelve. At that point, anything can happen. We have an idea of what SHOULD happen, but...

Ohio passed a firearm preemption law in 2007. This made it illegal for any political subdivision of Ohio to have any firarms rules regarding ownership, possession or carry, open or concealed. (Ohio Revised Code 9.68)

This means that only STATE and FEDERAL laws apply. It also means that a LOT of smaller cities and towns had to get rid of their own laws. There are still quite a few areas where local law enforcement is not 'up to speed" on this, or they simply have bad information. There are police, gun store employees and even concealed carry instructors out there that are still telling people that open carry is illegal.

Read the posts on this site. Read those on OFCC. Read various sections of the ORC (codes.ohio.gov), such as 2923, 2917 and specifically 2921.29.

Once you know what parts of these sections are important to know, and why, you are ready to open carry.

And yes, get a voice recorder.

Mark 1911

Can you OC in Ohio without a permit to carry? I have a permit to carry in my resident state of Indiana, but Ohio does not recognize Indiana's permits. I also have Florida and Arizona non-resident permits which Ohio does recognize. Would like to attend some of the Ohio OC meets, but like everyone else, just need to remain legal.

Last edited:

MyWifeSaidYes

In Ohio, open carry requires no special permit or license. If you can legally possess the gun, you can open carry the gun.

Mark 1911

In Ohio, open carry requires no special permit or license. If you can legally possess the gun, you can open carry the gun.

Well that sure sounds simple enough, and I appreciate your diligence in advocating a civil right that is our American heritage. I have CC'd for over 20 years, but only this year have I started OC'ing. I have poured over this forum a great deal in the last few weeks and have barely scratched the surface. I know I haven't OC'd that much yet and my turn for a negative encounter with an LEO is probably coming. They say there are 2 kinds of motorcycle riders, those who have crashed and those who will. I learned from experience that when it comes to motorcycles, it is a very true observation.

I will say that the forums for some states on this website do communicate a less receptive attitude on the part of the law than other states. My impression of Ohio, and this has no merit other than my own perception, is that Ohio seems to be one of the less receptive ones. It takes some men with some solid grounding in what it means to be a free American to weather some of the tomatoes that the LEOs seem to toss about from time to time.

I have been fortunate, I have had no issues at all. When I open carry I do try to take some very simple measures. I try to dress decent and put on a good appearance. But I also understand that you might not be able to do that after a hard day on a construction site, or even after a hot day of mowing the lawn or even fishing. The bottom line is that we are solidly within our rights as Americans to OC, and I suppose that its going to take a few men with some backbone to go against the grain and stand up to what amounts to discrimination against gun carrying Americans. Attitudes will change, just takes time, and some men and women who understand what it means to be free Americans.

Thanks for your wonderful efforts, and keep up the good work!

Last edited:

MyWifeSaidYes

Mark 1911 said:
...They say there are 2 kinds of motorcycle riders, those who have crashed and those who will. I learned from experience that when it comes to motorcycles, it is a very true observation.

I can also confirm that.

Mark 1911 said:
...Ohio seems to be one of the less receptive ones. !

Ohio is actually very receptive to OC. We have been allowed to open carry since the state was founded, but CC has only been allowed since 2004.

In 2008, firearms preemption kicked in. All laws below the state level regarding owning and possessing firearms became null and void. We are still finding and correcting municipalities with non-compliant laws, rules and signs. The education is ongoing.

Central (Columbus) and southeastern Ohio do not seem to have issues like other parts of the state.

If you've read the threads on this board, you will find that many cities with 'issues' are very close to each other. The Cleveland area and the Cincinnati area have areas nearby which are in need of "re-education".

Near Cleveland is a town called Garfield Heights and near Cincinnati is Springfield Township.

On June 23, 2012, there will be an open carry picnic in both of these places.

If anyone is interested in attending, let me know. I'll be at the Springfield Twp. picnic.

OneBadUnit

Here is a tri-fold pamphlet I threw together; since I am in the Cincinnati/NKY area, I have a few laws from both states that may be used to hassle or intimidate you.

Pamphlet Front
Pamphlet Back

Also, from page 17 of Ohio's CCW manual, "Ohio’s concealed carry laws do not regulate “open” carry of firearms. If you openly carry, use caution. The open carry of firearms is a legal activity in Ohio."; you can download this from the Ohio Attorney General website.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

half_life1052

I've heard of Camp Perry, I'm a lifetime NRA member, but have never been there.

Added it to the list!

Not for nothing but having spent a good deal of time at Davis Besse station, I know that you need to be careful which driveway you pull into. They are neighbors. The gentlemen with guns at the front gate probably wouldn't be amused if you were to show up OC. Just sayin.

Mark 1911

Not for nothing but having spent a good deal of time at Davis Besse station, I know that you need to be careful which driveway you pull into. They are neighbors. The gentlemen with guns at the front gate probably wouldn't be amused if you were to show up OC. Just sayin.

That explains your name half-life! I too have spent time at Davis Besse (remember the football size corrosion in the reactor cover?). Yes I too am a nuke. Spent 4 years on nuclear subs before going commerical. Work for Sargent & Lundy, have worked many refuel projects across the US, including Quad Cities, Dresden, LaSalle, Browns Ferry, Sequoya, Peach Bottom, D.C. Cook. Currently actively badged at Byron and Braidwood. Understand the on-site firearms prohibition very well!

Wouldn't be surprised if we have crossed paths on the job. Send me a pm if so inclined.

Last edited:

wrenching89

New To OpenCarry

I live in Elyria, Ohio and was wondering if im the only Oc in lorain county. I just started to Oc and do not have CHL, and have lots of questions about local LEO response and vehicle transport and transition. Thanks.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to OCDO wrenching89

Best to not disclose you email address - suggest editing, deleting it. PMs provide you with a means for private conversation.