• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kansas City loaded open carry clarification

momule

Let me start by saying hello, My Name is Nick. Im new to the forum been lurking for a few weeks.
Thanks to the mods and all the regulars for the helpful info. Some great info here.

Now to my ?
I see how some cities require you to OC without the mag in the gun. Can anyone confirm that this is the case in KC? Can I carry my gun with the mag in and nothing in the chamber legally OC.
I am just trying to get my ducks in a row before i end up in jail or with a citation for something stupid. I am awaiting a CCW permit but would like to oc as much as i can legally without much harassment.

Thanks in advance.
Nick

kcgunfan

Kansas City MO has no laws regarding open carry of weapons (outside of city owned facilities) nor restrictions on how they may be carried. The KCMO PD is reasonably well trained with respect to the legality (not perfectly however.)

Keep in mind that this is not true for all of the suburbs, some of them are extremely hostile.

And, don't go into KS carrying, things are still a mess over there, although it's getting better.

Freedom 1st

OC is legal in Kansas City. I personally do not know about the rest of the neighboring communities as I live 4 hrs away. But I am pretty sure Lees Summit, Independance and Blue Springs are OC legal also.

And YES, you can OC with magazine in your weapon. And you can legally have one in the chamber, the gun does not have to be unloaded or unchambered.

One of the best persons to obtain OC information for the KC area would be one of our members on this forum, Comsec. He owns and operates "Show me guns" in Lees Summit.

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited: