Thread: Open Carry in a bank - Laws?

Open Carry in a bank - Laws?

Does anyone know what the laws are regarding open carry into a bank at the state level and federal level?

unless it is a federal bldg....carry away....even it is posted...still not against the law....but you will asked to leave...

Local banks may try to pull the Federal aspect of things...but they are full of you know what..
    GOD gave me rights!!!....The Constitutuion just confirms it!!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgangmob View Post
    Does anyone know what the laws are regarding open carry into a bank at the state level and federal level?
    In Missouri, there are none, as far as PRIVATELY OWNED banks are concerned. Of course, there may be local ordinances restricting open carry in the jurisdiction in which the bank resides.

An actual, bonafide federally owned bank, such as a Federal Reserve Branch, would come under federal laws that prohibit firearms in any federally-owned building.

Quote Originally Posted by cshoff View Post
    In Missouri, there are none, as far as PRIVATELY OWNED banks are concerned. Of course, there may be local ordinances restricting open carry in the jurisdiction in which the bank resides.

An actual, bonafide federally owned bank, such as a Federal Reserve Branch, would come under federal laws that prohibit firearms in any federally-owned building.
    This is true. Watch the city/county you're in, but as far as banks are concerned, you're good to go under MO law.

The Federal Reserve Banks aren't even banks in the sense we know them. Your average joe will never go into one because they do not offer accounts or services. They're simply there to facilitate monetary exchange with privately held banks.

I OC into Bank of America every pay day.They don't mind at all!

Commerce posts signs against it. They suck. I am closing that account.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

"The problem with Internet quotes is that no one has verified the source" -- Abraham Lincoln

I'm in Rolla in Phelps county, I'm unaware of any OC limitations for either.

When I moved to Columbia and was bank shopping I asked specifically about firearms policy; Boone County State Bank said all legal persons were welcome to carry in their banks.

They also own many banks outside Boone County, look for the dogwood blossom (4 pedals with several dots in the middle) which is the logo for any bank they own, don't know if they have one in Rolla.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    When I moved to Columbia and was bank shopping I asked specifically about firearms policy; Boone County State Bank said all legal persons were welcome to carry in their banks.

They also own many banks outside Boone County, look for the dogwood blossom (4 pedals with several dots in the middle) which is the logo for any bank they own, don't know if they have one in Rolla.
    I use US Bank and since they are a national level bank I fear they may be a no gun place.

I use US Bank and since they are a national level bank I fear they may be a no gun place.
    Why would you think such a thing?

What is special about "national level"banks?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Cool

I carry in Charles Schwab Bank everyday!!!.....never a question!!
    GOD gave me rights!!!....The Constitutuion just confirms it!!

Remember...no signs, no problems. Just leave if they ask you to.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

As I said, I OC into Bank of America. They are an international bank. No issues whatsoever.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

"The problem with Internet quotes is that no one has verified the source" -- Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by kcgunfan View Post
    Why would you think such a thing?

What is special about "national level"banks?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    They might have more cautious corporate lawyers making policies who are thinking about liability rather than rights of citizens.

please...stop banking with BoA...
    Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.

Ditto.....BoA = Bunch of Azzes.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by kylemoul View Post
    please...stop banking with BoA...
    Never banked with and no plans of starting, they like to have interesting fees.

After searching for more information it appears US Bank has a corporate policy against exposed firearms unless you are LEO, armored transport employee, or hired security.

US Bank called me one day and said they are goign to start charging me 7.95$ per month for my checking account.

i walked in the next day and closed all my accounts and even stopped using my us bank credit card.
    Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.

Quote Originally Posted by kylemoul View Post
    US Bank called me one day and said they are goign to start charging me 7.95$ per month for my checking account.

i walked in the next day and closed all my accounts and even stopped using my us bank credit card.
    I called my parents about closing my accounts and there are some reasons I have to maintain a US Bank account, though it doesn't mean I need to use it.

Herr Heckler Koch

In re Federal Reserve Bank status

http://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/...9.80-5905.html

680 F.2d 1239

John L. LEWIS, Plaintiff/Appellant,
    v.
    UNITED STATES of America, Defendant/Appellee.

No. 80-5905.

United States Court of Appeals,
    Ninth Circuit.

Submitted March 2, 1982.
    Decided April 19, 1982.
    As Amended June 24, 1982.

On July 27, 1979, appellant John Lewis was injured by a vehicle owned and operated by the Los Angeles branch of the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco. Lewis brought this action in district court alleging jurisdiction under the Federal Tort Claims Act (the Act), 28 U.S.C. 1346(b). The United States moved to dismiss for lack of subject matter jurisdiction. The district court dismissed, holding that the Federal Reserve Bank is not a federal agency within the meaning of the Act and that the court therefore lacked subject matter jurisdiction. We affirm.
    Last edited by Herr Heckler Koch; 06-10-2012 at 05:30 PM.