• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in a bank - Laws?

zekester

unless it is a federal bldg....carry away....even it is posted...still not against the law....but you will asked to leave...

Local banks may try to pull the Federal aspect of things...but they are full of you know what..

cshoff

Does anyone know what the laws are regarding open carry into a bank at the state level and federal level?

In Missouri, there are none, as far as PRIVATELY OWNED banks are concerned. Of course, there may be local ordinances restricting open carry in the jurisdiction in which the bank resides.

An actual, bonafide federally owned bank, such as a Federal Reserve Branch, would come under federal laws that prohibit firearms in any federally-owned building.

Oramac

In Missouri, there are none, as far as PRIVATELY OWNED banks are concerned. Of course, there may be local ordinances restricting open carry in the jurisdiction in which the bank resides.

An actual, bonafide federally owned bank, such as a Federal Reserve Branch, would come under federal laws that prohibit firearms in any federally-owned building.

This is true. Watch the city/county you're in, but as far as banks are concerned, you're good to go under MO law.

The Federal Reserve Banks aren't even banks in the sense we know them. Your average joe will never go into one because they do not offer accounts or services. They're simply there to facilitate monetary exchange with privately held banks.

peterarthur

I OC into Bank of America every pay day.They don't mind at all!

Commerce posts signs against it. They suck. I am closing that account.

F350

When I moved to Columbia and was bank shopping I asked specifically about firearms policy; Boone County State Bank said all legal persons were welcome to carry in their banks.

They also own many banks outside Boone County, look for the dogwood blossom (4 pedals with several dots in the middle) which is the logo for any bank they own, don't know if they have one in Rolla.

wolfgangmob

When I moved to Columbia and was bank shopping I asked specifically about firearms policy; Boone County State Bank said all legal persons were welcome to carry in their banks.

They also own many banks outside Boone County, look for the dogwood blossom (4 pedals with several dots in the middle) which is the logo for any bank they own, don't know if they have one in Rolla.

I use US Bank and since they are a national level bank I fear they may be a no gun place.

kcgunfan

I use US Bank and since they are a national level bank I fear they may be a no gun place.

Why would you think such a thing?

What is special about "national level"banks?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

kylemoul

US Bank called me one day and said they are goign to start charging me 7.95$ per month for my checking account.

i walked in the next day and closed all my accounts and even stopped using my us bank credit card.

wolfgangmob

US Bank called me one day and said they are goign to start charging me 7.95$ per month for my checking account.

i walked in the next day and closed all my accounts and even stopped using my us bank credit card.

I called my parents about closing my accounts and there are some reasons I have to maintain a US Bank account, though it doesn't mean I need to use it.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

In re Federal Reserve Bank status

http://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/c/F2/680/680.F2d.1239.80-5905.html

680 F.2d 1239

John L. LEWIS, Plaintiff/Appellant,
v.
UNITED STATES of America, Defendant/Appellee.

No. 80-5905.

United States Court of Appeals,
Ninth Circuit.

Submitted March 2, 1982.
Decided April 19, 1982.
As Amended June 24, 1982.

On July 27, 1979, appellant John Lewis was injured by a vehicle owned and operated by the Los Angeles branch of the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco. Lewis brought this action in district court alleging jurisdiction under the Federal Tort Claims Act (the Act), 28 U.S.C. § 1346(b). The United States moved to dismiss for lack of subject matter jurisdiction. The district court dismissed, holding that the Federal Reserve Bank is not a federal agency within the meaning of the Act and that the court therefore lacked subject matter jurisdiction. We affirm.

Last edited: