• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry, Frankencorn and Rabbits in Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
There are about ten pages written in between the lines of this post.

I am on several organic growing sites and am a State Certified Master Gardner.
I have to wonder if we should include Frankencorn inter plantings to improve our crop of legacy corn?

In Australia, rabbits are a serious mammalian pest and invasive species. They were introduced in the 18th century with the First Fleet, and became widespread after an outbreak caused by an 1859 release. Rabbits cause millions of dollars of damage to crops.

I was on facebook this morning and noticed a page dedicated to Open Carry in Virginia, discussing the changes to Virginia Law that made it easier to get a permit. I have hundreds of pictures of the author of that post, none open carrying.

Like most Virginians, my time is limited, my money is limited and my resources are limited.
With recent events in mind and the potential of a massive shift in some pro gun organizations, it's time to decide if I want Monsanto pollinating my corn or if I want invasive pests released in my back yard.

Yep...this is a strange post! But it probably won't last long.

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

Please allow me to help it along.

The epithet "Frankencorn" begs the question, modus ponens, of just what is corn that is Frankencorn, considering that without genetic manipulation it would be Teosinte only?

Traditional genetic manipulation occurred very very slowly, at Mother Nature's hand, then a bit faster by Fr. Gregor Mendel, and faster using modern hybridization methods and now, very fast, shotgunning DNA into a nucleus on nanoparticle shot.

The Frankencorn epithet allows neo-Luddites to demonize what they would eschew on their way to starvation, what they would hate on their way to pauperacy.

ETA: I have just finished my first read of Ecology and Environmental Management of Lyme Disease, edited by Howard S. Ginsberg (Rutgers, 1993). We are anticipating a significant increase in Ixodes scapularis and Lyme Disease this year, with four reportable cases already this year. My first training, in 1967, was in medical entomology. I am educated (a vulgarly misused word here) as an auto-didact polymath.

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

Thank you Doug.
It was his pleasure, I am sure.
======================================================================
Living rent free in their owne heads. "The Quixotes of this Age fight with the Wind-mills of their owne Heads." John Cleveland, The character of a London diurnall, 1644

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Proof that if you build it, they will come....even in an Australian cornfield.

Pamunkey soil is found in neither Australia nor Wisconsin. Perhaps that is the difference. Too it is uneffected by OCing.

Status
Not open for further replies.