• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wheelchair Carry CC/OC

brianstone1985

Alright guys... I'm searching for a friend regarding the best way to carry when permanently in a wheel chair. We were thinking of something like sewing a retention holster to the underneath of the chair so it would be somewhat out of sight, but then the retention part may cause an issue with grabbing the gun. (imagine trying to reach under your butt to mess with a retention holster when you have no ability to use your abs/below.... Pictures, vids...etc welcome.

just looking for ideas.

jeeper1

We were thinking of something like sewing a retention holster to the underneath of the chair
Bad idea.
The only access would be from the front of the chair (unless it is a powered wheelchair), a difficult reach at best.
The only really practical way to carry a weapon is cross draw. One other possibility would be a holster fastened on the inside of the thigh. Either way it could easily concealed by lap blanket yet accessible by moving the blanket to one side.
Strong side carry is extremely difficult for me and in a wheelchair it would be almost impossible because the chair itself would be in the way.
FWIW, I am not stuck using a wheelchair yet, I do have to use mobility scooters to get around since I can't walk more than 50 feet or so.

Sethrotull

+1 on cross draw. I use a paddle holster set for cross draw with my 4" GP100, very comfortable while seated and driving. Very easy to access and conceal if need be.

I will say I am not in a wheelchair do cannot state firsthand if there is any more difficulty than being seated.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Has anyone looked to the American's with Disabilities Act for particular provisions, or from local implementations/case law?

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Also, how about a shoulder holster? Easy to access, easy to conceal, easier to control in a scuffle, and oh so dapper :cool:

This is truth! The usual under the arm carry is good for CC. I have carried center of chest and found this to be very easy access, very quickly. It is not easy for someone to make a "gun grab". I would consider this an Open Carry kind of way to holster a weapon.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
brianstone1985 I did a quick search and found this link That may give some incite to your individual needs.

I agree with the concept of keeping the firearm on your person and not the wheel chair to ensure it is secure and maybe a fanny pack with holster setup may work in this dynamic.

Last edited:

Difdi

I hate to agree with BigDave about anything, but he's right on the money here. A frontally-worn fanny pack holster would seem to be the way to go if, for whatever reason, shoulder holsters won't work.

But if on-body isn't an option (I can't imagine why, but you never know), another possibility is that some wheelchairs, particularly powered ones, have a little padded thingamabob in the crotch area to keep the occupant from sliding out of the chair on a sudden stop. Most of those thingamabobs are big enough to conceal smaller mouse-guns if you hollowed them out a bit. Expanding them laterally and vertically could yield enough space for something pretty sizable. The drawback is, of course, that the gun goes with the chair not the occupant, but if you never leave the chair (aside from locked bathroom stalls or your own home) it has some definite possibilities.

There's also the possibility of building a shotgun into the chair itself, though you'd run into short-barrel problems or a lack of concealment depending on how you did it. To say nothing of the problems inherent to being caught with an unlicensed concealed weapon (it's a concealed PISTOL permit, after all).

Last edited:

Usarmykr

Is a Wheelchair a vehicle? If so you would need a CPL to carry.

Doubtful.

For OC why not set up some kind of holster that attaches to the frame in the armrest area? You could have a cloth or leather bag that hands off the armrest with some loops and have a kydex holster on the inside or outside of it, on the inside it wouldn't look like a gun really especially with a blanket, and on the outside it would look great

jeeper1

Is a Wheelchair a vehicle? If so you would need a CPL to carry.
I am including mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs in my comments.
I doubt it. After all you don't need a license to operate it. You don't need to register it, license it or insure it. Nor are you required to have all the equipment that a car needs.

Jeff Hayes

I am including mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs in my comments.
I doubt it. After all you don't need a license to operate it. You don't need to register it, license it or insure it. Nor are you required to have all the equipment that a car needs.

A bicycle is a vehicle, you do not need to register it, no license is required to ride it, insurance is not required.

A friend got a DUI riding his horse home on a railroad right of way.

I would guess a wheelchair especially a motorized wheelchair would be considered a vehicle.

hermannr

I have carried in a Wheelchair...sholder holster. I don't like a shoulder holster, I prefer on my hip, but in a wheelchair..IMHO: the shoulder holster is definately the best way. I don't use one any more, I can walk again, but I still have that shoulder holster in case I ever need it again.

Levi

the best way to carry would depend on the the chair, the desired firearm, and the full extent of mobility. If you are looking at a smaller handgun, up to and including a full size 1911, I'd think that a cross draw on the inside of the arm of the chair might be the best. A larger one like a mare's leg/ranch hand, or a AR pistol it might be better to put a holster on the outside of the strong had chair arm. Also, a tactical vest with a chest holster might be something to try. I'm pretty good at this kind of thing. I'd be willing to help coming up with something that works.

Usarmykr

A bicycle is a vehicle, you do not need to register it, no license is required to ride it, insurance is not required.

A friend got a DUI riding his horse home on a railroad right of way.

I would guess a wheelchair especially a motorized wheelchair would be considered a vehicle.

Disabled laws are weird, and there is no possible way they consider a wheelchair a vehicle, because that would mean disabled folks would need a license to carry a firearm when their non disabled counterparts can without a license. If it is considered a vehicle it would be a very easy lawsuit against the state to win.

badger54

I would be reluctant to attach the gun to the chair. If during an attack you become sepperated from the chair at best your defenseless at worst you just armed your attacker.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2