Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Conversation with a thirty-something lady in a progressive sporting goods store

Quote Originally Posted by rushcreek2 View Post
    ..."Why are you carrying a gun ?" ( They already KNOW WHY you carry a gun...
    Heh, heh.

Them: "Why are you carrying a gun?"

Me, loudly and worried: "Oh my god! Are you too stupid to realize what a gun is for? Did your parents teach you nothing?"

I think that last part would be great if talking to some anti-gun octogenarian!
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

"Why are you carrying a gun?"
    Aside from it being a Constitutionally protected civil right that needs no reason for its exercise?
    Because I value my life & well-being.
    Don't you?

Depends on how the person approaches me. If it's someone honestly seeking information, I'll do my best to have a polite dialogue with them.

If it's an anti-gun ninny trying to get up in my face, I'll give them the same answer I gave the gang-banger wannabe who asked me why I had a gun.

"You don't know?"

"You mean I didn't tell you?"

"Must be none of your damn business then."

So far, I have had no hoplophobe or libtard encounters, knock on wood, and I hope I don't have any.

Nobody has ever asked me, "Why do you carry a gun?" but I suppose I would have to answer truthfully, "For shooting people." Should I qualify that? "For shooting people who would try to kill me."

Quote Originally Posted by Yard Sale View Post
    Nobody has ever asked me, "Why do you carry a gun?" but I suppose I would have to answer truthfully, "For shooting people." Should I qualify that? "For shooting people who would try to kill me."

Been nice knowing you. Do you want the file baked into a cake or a pie? What are visiting days at the jail?

I think I know what you are saying, but there are "more elegant" ways of saying it -

"For self defense"
    "To defend myself and my loved ones against harm"
    "In case someone tries to kill me"

Try to avoid the whole "killing" thing. We all know that becoming dead is a real possible consequence of getting shot, but the purpose of shooting someone is supposed to be to stop the imminent threat (of death or serious bodily injury) they were presenting.

Tell me any of those reasons is not absolutely truthful.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by moonie View Post
    Zombies.

And they ARE real!!! Just ask a Florida cop!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    By that same logic, no bad guys live in Baltimore, DC, Atlanta, Richmond or NYC--because I've been to all those cities, and never been robbed, raped, assaulted or murdered.

You can't fix stupid...
    Stupid hurts.

I had the same conversation with a grocery store clerk one night at midnight. The sad fact of the matter is that the people who have that viewpoint just *can't* fathom that a thing like that would happen, until there's a gun in their face. It's one of those things you learn about the hard way. Then they demonize the instrument to cope with the PTSD. Shaking my head....

Yeah, you'd best start believing in guns. There's one right here, and it has the ability to kill you, just as soon as it leaves the holster.
    Last edited by Kirbinator; 06-23-2012 at 08:14 PM.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Policeman have guns.

But they're here to protect us

Do you see any policeman here?

Well, no I don't.

Then their gun can't protect anyone here, and mine can. Would you agree with that?

HMMMFF, You just dont get it. (and walks away)

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoZ View Post
    Even at a young age (7th grade?), I developed the instant comeback of: "That's better than being a dumb ass like you..."
    Smart-ass... & Lol.

Update: I returned to the store yesterday, browsed a bit, and noticed the lady noticing me. She stopped what she was doing to went to the back. When she didn't return after about five minutes, I left. (shrugs)
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. They both protect the rest, but only if you exercise them.

Nothing in this post is to be misconstrued as "advice" of any kind. It is merely my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbinator View Post
    ... people who have that viewpoint just *can't* fathom that a thing like that would happen, until there's a gun in their face.
    Knife in their face. When bringing up hypotheticals I try to avoid using a gun as being the problem because folks like that fall back so quickly to the "Well, if we banned them for everyone except for the police and military that wouldn't be a problem, now would it?" position and now you're debating on two fronts.

O2
    Last edited by O2HeN2; 07-05-2012 at 05:47 AM.
    When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
    They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
    Zero failures comes at infinite cost.

Columbia, in the Peoples Republic of Murderland
    Quote Originally Posted by William Fisher View Post
    Policeman have guns.

But they're here to protect us

Do you see any policeman here?

Well, no I don't.

Then their gun can't protect anyone here, and mine can. Would you agree with that?

HMMMFF, You just dont get it. (and walks away)

Anytime someone tries to play the "police are there to protect you" card, I instantly bring up the Wiki page for "Warren vs. District of Columbia" on my iPhone and make them read it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren...ct_of_Columbia

If that doesn't change their mind, then they are, IMO, certifiably insane, and not worthy of engaging with further discussion...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 07-05-2012 at 11:52 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    "Lady: Well, no "bad guys" have ever given me trouble, so I don't believe in guns."

You: "Hmm, don't believe in guns, eh? Well I can assure you they exist."

Ask her what's in my sig then watch her squirm and wiggle until she comes up with something that escapes the obvious answer.
    Better yet:

"Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the 'right' to fistfight with 210lb. rapists."

I've found that one ALWAYS gets the "OSHA for rapists" types going, ESPECIALLY the Brits.
    Last edited by Deanimator; 07-06-2012 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by O2HeN2 View Post
    Knife in their face. When bringing up hypotheticals I try to avoid using a gun as being the problem because folks like that fall back so quickly to the "Well, if we banned them for everyone except for the police and military that wouldn't be a problem, now would it?" position and now you're debating on two fronts.

O2
    Excellent point. I also like to ask the hypothetical, "If someone 20 feet away from you were holding a knife, how long do you think it would take them to give you a fatal wound, even if you were in a hospital when you were wounded?"

They're shocked and in total disbelief when I mention "less than 1 second," until I explain precisely how that might happen.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. They both protect the rest, but only if you exercise them.

Nothing in this post is to be misconstrued as "advice" of any kind. It is merely my opinion.

Activist Member FireFighterchen's Avatar
    Maybe this is an inappropriate answer...but why do you carry a gun?

Answer: Because, when a bad guy is choosing his next victim...he will choose you and not me.

Stand up job of handling someone whom is both ignorant and self-righteous. Very classy dialogue.

This is hypothetical, but...

Lady: Why do you carry a gun?
    OC'er: It's OK, I'm a bodyguard.
    Lady: Oh, ok.
    Lady, looking around.: Whose bodyguard?
    OC'er: Mine. But it's still OK. I mow my own lawn, too.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdr_iceman71 View Post
    I would have liked to ask her this:

So if you are being a victim of a home invasion/rape at 0300hrs and your attacker gets sloppy and you managed to get to a phone and call the police are you going to tell them to come right away but leave their guns behind because you "don’t believe in guns?"
    Thats awesome, gotta love it +1

goes well with the "I carry a gun cause I cant carry a cop"

I deal with people almost every day who believe the only people who should have guns are the police and the military. Why do they believe this, you ask? Simply because they were, for the most part, raised in a country where only the police and military have firearms.

Being married to a very delightful Chinese lady for almost five years now, I have gained some insight into what the anti crowd is trying to do in this country. With a disarmed citizenry, you no longer have a need for free elections, you no longer need to answer to the people, and there is not one single thing they can do about it.

If you think about it, we already have informants, LEAs that operate without adequate oversight or accountability, and politicians who would, given the chance, seize power on a permanent basis.

The only piece of the puzzle that does not yet fit is the fact that the American citizenry is still fairly well-armed.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop."

I like Bob Mayne of Hand Gun World Podcast's answer to why I carry a gun? "I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop."

Quote Originally Posted by William Fisher View Post
    If she doesn't believe in guns, why does she sell (assumption on my part) them?
    the only part you got right was "assumption".

Sporting good store, not all sporting goods stores sell guns.
    The OP did not state she worked for the store, but was just in the store.

And I would guess that in any sporting goods store that does sell firearms, there are people that work in other departments that don't like guns, but would love to sell you the alternative, a great pair of running shoes.

When people ask me why I carry, I often say, "Because a firearm is like a fire extinguisher -- by the time you know you need one, it's too late to go get it." Only once has someone asked me, "Then why don't you carry a fire extinguisher?" My reply? "I would if it were as compact and easy to carry as a pistol."

To the ones who ask, "What are you afraid of?" I respond, "I'm afraid I won't be able to protect my family or myself from evil people who are younger, stronger, faster, or more numerous than I am."
    Last edited by Cavalryman; 05-29-2013 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    "Lady: Well, no "bad guys" have ever given me trouble, so I don't believe in guns."

You: "Hmm, don't believe in guns, eh? Well I can assure you they exist."

Ask her what's in my sig then watch her squirm and wiggle until she comes up with something that escapes the obvious answer.
    You don't believe in guns? Well clearly this thing on my hip is an apparition, so I'm not sure what we're talking about at this point. Take it easy!

"you can cure stupid"

First....If I have said this once, I have said it a thousand times...."YOU CAN CURE STUPID" (emphis not shouting)

It's just illegal to shoot stupid people in most states..
    <G>

Second... I just tell people who ask, "It's part of my families...Self-Defense Plan." I use it to hold the bad guys at bay, until the police arrive.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lthrnck View Post
    ...Second... I just tell people who ask, "It's part of my families...Self-Defense Plan." I use it to hold the bad guys at bay, until the police arrive.
    Hold the BGs at bay???

No. If I ever draw, I am going to dispense with the threat. AFTER I am certain that the BGs have been stopped, I will call the police.

One should never draw without the intent to fire. It could happen that I wouldn't fire. (I couldn't imagine the circumstances.) But not firing will never be my intent. Not firing is, at most, a fall-back position, when (miraculously) I have had sufficient time to change my mind and follow another course of action.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast