• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Conversation with a thirty-something lady in a progressive sporting goods store

since9

Campaign Veteran
I walked in, browsed, asked for help once, purchased an item, and finally, on my way out, a thirty-something lady, obvious in excellent condition, asked me:

Lady: Excuse me, but I have to ask you. Why are you carrying a gun?

Me: Self defense.

Lady: Against what?

Me: Bad guys.

Lady: What bad guys?

(At this point, it was obvious she was a libtard, probably the manager, and trying to show me up so as to win "brilliance" points with her even more stupid employees)

Me: The bad guys responsible for more than thirty murders, several hundred assaults, and a string of hold-ups over the last twelve months here in Colorado Springs. Those bad guys.

Lady: (blinks, but recovers well) And how do you recognize these "bad guys?"

Me: They're the ones committing murder assaults, and robberies.

Lady: Oh, so you can only recognize them when they're actually breaking the law.

Me: That's right.

Lady: Why can't you head them off at the pass?

Me: You mean before they've done anything illegal?

Lady: Yes.

Me: Didn't you ever see the movie, Minority Report?

Lady: Yes.

Me: Well...?

Lady: Ok, that's probably a bit far-fetched, isn't it.

Me: Just a bit!

Lady: Well, no "bad guys" have ever given me trouble, so I don't believe in guns.

Me: They do.

Lady: What?

Me: The bad guys. They believe in guns. What do you think they use to commit murder, assaults, and robberies?

Lady: Well, I still don't believe in guns.

Me: Then you believe in being a victim.

(Boy! Did this get her heckles up!)

Lady: I do NOT believe in being a victim!

Me: Then don't be a victim. Do something about it.

Lady: Like what?

Me: Learn to shoot and carry a firearm, so you won't be a victim when the bad guys come to murder or assault you, or rob your store.

Lady: (crickets chirping)

Me: Have a nice day!

At that point I left. I'll probably go back after a month to see if the clue bird landed on her shoulder.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
"Lady: Well, no "bad guys" have ever given me trouble, so I don't believe in guns."

You: "Hmm, don't believe in guns, eh? Well I can assure you they exist."

Ask her what's in my sig then watch her squirm and wiggle until she comes up with something that escapes the obvious answer.

cmdr_iceman71

I would have liked to ask her this:

So if you are being a victim of a home invasion/rape at 0300hrs and your attacker gets sloppy and you managed to get to a phone and call the police are you going to tell them to come right away but leave their guns behind because you "don’t believe in guns?"

davidmcbeth

Banned
she doesn't believe in guns? They do exist ... you should have showed her yours...see, they exist!

Last edited:

snatiep

So if you are being a victim of a home invasion/rape at 0300hrs and your attacker gets sloppy and you managed to get to a phone and call the police are you going to tell them to come right away but leave their guns behind because you "don’t believe in guns?"

Absolutely brilliant! I have to remember this one.

gobbly

I always liked the insurance response. I've never been in an accident, but I still insure my car. My house has never burned down, but I still insure my house. Don't you?

GuidoZ

Well spoken. Direct, but polite and to the point.

When I was younger, my parents had a less flattering term for it. They called it being a wise-ass.
For me, it was always being called smart ass. Even at a young age (7th grade?), I developed the instant comeback of: "That's better than being a dumb ass like you..." :D

--
Peace. ~G

MyWifeSaidYes

If the bad guys give her trouble, who's she gonna call...and why? :banana:

Knowing the crime statistics of the area you're in is a great idea.

"I don't believe in guns." "Well, the bad guys do." Classic.

Beau

since9 this is great. I've played your encounter over and over in my head. I hope that if I have a similar encounter I will be able to handle it as well as you did.

Xulld

Ohh how much fun. When someone says the words, "believe in", they can mean one of two things.
The first is very mundane, they believe that thing exists, or does not exists.
The second is far more philosophical, they do not support a thing.

I will always call someone out for using this kind of rhetoric.
A simple, what do you mean when you say you do not believe in guns? Guns do exist so you must have a rather interesting reason to say that.

Then let them rip.

Give them the stage, allow them all the rope they need to illustrate an absurd position. Nothing gives me more satisfaction than politely disassembling an irrational position.

What she doesn't believe in is very specific. Ultimately she believes in guns for police, she believes in guns for the military, and she believes in guns in the movies more than she believes in guns for the common man to self determine there own existence.

Last edited:

Batousaii

when she commented that bad guys don't bother her, i might have asked about her (their) loss prevention, how much they have, and whats the policy on stops... If they say they have "X" amount, then note that bad guys do in fact "bother her", if she says that don't stop, then I would note that she has indeed chosen to be a victim too.

- I know we don't shoot shoplifters, but the theory/formula is still similar enough that it translates correctly.

rushcreek2

I BELIEVE if the day ever comes when a murderer, rapist, or home invader presents in her face -
she will also refuse to BELIEVE that it is happening to her - BUT.......she will begin to BELIEVE in guns, and WISH that she had a one in each of her hands.

I've had it with this anti-tard "Why are you carrying a gun ?" B.S. I refuse to honor such a confrontational inquiry with the dignity of a good faith response. Such an inquiry is an attempt to interrogate. Anti's like her KNOW very well why we carry a gun. She just doesn't approve of our choice to do so. The likes of such people are not entitled to ANY explanation as to our reason for carrying a gun. I CHOOSE TO - period !

Such EXTREMIST self-righteous sophistry.

Last edited:

Steeler-gal

I like how you handled the conversation. The only thing different that I would have added us that I wouldn't have called her a victim but that's just me.

If I was clever enough (and I never am) I might have said something a little different to her comment about not believing in guns. She obviously believes in them but doesn't either doesn't believe in owning or carrying which are very different thoughts than not believing in guns at all.

========================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching Classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Steeler-gal

I've had it with this anti-tard "Why are you carrying a gun ?" B.S. I refuse to honor such a confrontational inquiry with the dignity of a good faith response.

So what do you say when asked? So you answer or just walk away. Curious

========================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching Classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Dreamer

Lady: Well, no "bad guys" have ever given me trouble, so I don't believe in guns.

By that same logic, no bad guys live in Baltimore, DC, Atlanta, Richmond or NYC--because I've been to all those cities, and never been robbed, raped, assaulted or murdered.

You can't fix stupid...