• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Conversation with a thirty-something lady in a progressive sporting goods store

Levant

This is hypothetical, but...

Lady: Why do you carry a gun?
OC'er: It's OK, I'm a bodyguard.
Lady: Oh, ok.
Lady, looking around.: Whose bodyguard?
OC'er: Mine. But it's still OK. I mow my own lawn, too.

SGTapone

I would have liked to ask her this:

So if you are being a victim of a home invasion/rape at 0300hrs and your attacker gets sloppy and you managed to get to a phone and call the police are you going to tell them to come right away but leave their guns behind because you "don’t believe in guns?"

Thats awesome, gotta love it +1

goes well with the "I carry a gun cause I cant carry a cop"

SFCRetired

I deal with people almost every day who believe the only people who should have guns are the police and the military. Why do they believe this, you ask? Simply because they were, for the most part, raised in a country where only the police and military have firearms.

Being married to a very delightful Chinese lady for almost five years now, I have gained some insight into what the anti crowd is trying to do in this country. With a disarmed citizenry, you no longer have a need for free elections, you no longer need to answer to the people, and there is not one single thing they can do about it.

If you think about it, we already have informants, LEAs that operate without adequate oversight or accountability, and politicians who would, given the chance, seize power on a permanent basis.

The only piece of the puzzle that does not yet fit is the fact that the American citizenry is still fairly well-armed.

XD40sc

If she doesn't believe in guns, why does she sell (assumption on my part) them?

the only part you got right was "assumption".

Sporting good store, not all sporting goods stores sell guns.
The OP did not state she worked for the store, but was just in the store.

And I would guess that in any sporting goods store that does sell firearms, there are people that work in other departments that don't like guns, but would love to sell you the alternative, a great pair of running shoes.:D

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
When people ask me why I carry, I often say, "Because a firearm is like a fire extinguisher -- by the time you know you need one, it's too late to go get it." Only once has someone asked me, "Then why don't you carry a fire extinguisher?" My reply? "I would if it were as compact and easy to carry as a pistol."

To the ones who ask, "What are you afraid of?" I respond, "I'm afraid I won't be able to protect my family or myself from evil people who are younger, stronger, faster, or more numerous than I am."

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
"Lady: Well, no "bad guys" have ever given me trouble, so I don't believe in guns."

You: "Hmm, don't believe in guns, eh? Well I can assure you they exist."

Ask her what's in my sig then watch her squirm and wiggle until she comes up with something that escapes the obvious answer.

You don't believe in guns? Well clearly this thing on my hip is an apparition, so I'm not sure what we're talking about at this point. Take it easy!

Lthrnck

"you can cure stupid"

First....If I have said this once, I have said it a thousand times...."YOU CAN CURE STUPID" (emphis not shouting)

It's just illegal to shoot stupid people in most states..
<G>

Second... I just tell people who ask, "It's part of my families...Self-Defense Plan." I use it to hold the bad guys at bay, until the police arrive.

eye95

...Second... I just tell people who ask, "It's part of my families...Self-Defense Plan." I use it to hold the bad guys at bay, until the police arrive.

Hold the BGs at bay???

No. If I ever draw, I am going to dispense with the threat. AFTER I am certain that the BGs have been stopped, I will call the police.

One should never draw without the intent to fire. It could happen that I wouldn't fire. (I couldn't imagine the circumstances.) But not firing will never be my intent. Not firing is, at most, a fall-back position, when (miraculously) I have had sufficient time to change my mind and follow another course of action.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
Hold the BGs at bay???

No. If I ever draw, I am going to dispense with the threat. AFTER I am certain that the BGs have been stopped, I will call the police.

One should never draw without the intent to fire. It could happen that I wouldn't fire. (I couldn't imagine the circumstances.) But not firing will never be my intent. Not firing is, at most, a fall-back position, when (miraculously) I have had sufficient time to change my mind and follow another course of action.

All true, but I'm not sure I would say that to an anti-gunner. How about, "To stop the threat until the police arrive"? Whether you shoot or not, the police are almost certainly going to become involved and "stopping the threat" covers everything from letting the bad guy run away to shooting him dead.

eye95

All true, but I'm not sure I would say that to an anti-gunner. How about, "To stop the threat until the police arrive"? Whether you shoot or not, the police are almost certainly going to become involved and "stopping the threat" covers everything from letting the bad guy run away to shooting him dead.

And that is all also true.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

OldCurlyWolf

Stupid hurts.

I had the same conversation with a grocery store clerk one night at midnight. The sad fact of the matter is that the people who have that viewpoint just *can't* fathom that a thing like that would happen, until there's a gun in their face. It's one of those things you learn about the hard way. Then they demonize the instrument to cope with the PTSD. Shaking my head....

Yeah, you'd best start believing in guns. There's one right here, and it has the ability to kill you, just as soon as it leaves the holster.

Per John Wayne:

Life is Tough. It is Tougher if you are Stupid. (Not an exact quote)

:cool:

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Defensive display is legal in many areas many crimes are stopped just by the knowledge that the victim is armed

Having the mind set of always going to shoot when one draws could very well lead to shooting when one doesn't have too.

There can be a very small, thin line or time frame between having to shoot and not having to shoot. Shooting to soon or to late can lead to bad out comes.

Knowledge, training, skill level, physical conditioning and many other factors can and could very well play a important role.

Or it just might come down to this SOB is going to kill me I need to defend myself right NOW.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Hold the BGs at bay???

I can. You draw your gun, the BG sees what you're doing and takes off running. Since he then ceases to be a threat, you no longer have the right to use deadly force. I imagine this happens a lot (we see it mentioned in every issue of American Riflemen's Armed Citizen section).

However what you have written about never drawing your firearm unless you have every intent of using it is absolutely true. This implies two very important criteria. 1) The threat is genuine and serious enough to warrant this action on your part. 2) You have the mindset to use your firearm in your defense should the need arise.

The #2 criteria above is the most difficult to teach and to adopt. I am frequently amazed by people who make outlandish statements such as, "If someone broke into my home, I'd blow them away". In fact, unless they have had a similar experience in the past from which to draw upon, they'd probably crap their pants. I am a firm believer that no one really knows how they will react in an extreme encounter until it is staring them in their fact like RIGHT NOW... unless they have had a similar experience before.

SouthernBoy

Defensive display is legal in many areas many crimes are stopped just by the knowledge that the victim is armed

Having the mind set of always going to shoot when one draws could very well lead to shooting when one doesn't have too.

There can be a very small, thin line or time frame between having to shoot and not having to shoot. Shooting to soon or to late can lead to bad out comes.

Knowledge, training, skill level, physical conditioning and many other factors can and could very well play a important role.

Or it just might come down to this SOB is going to kill me I need to defend myself right NOW.

I think what eye95 meant was that if that gun clears your holster, you should have the mindset, the mental preparation, to fire that gun at another human being should you need to do so. When confronted with an extreme situation, you must always start from the worse case scenario and work backwards, otherwise you will be chasing the curve. Just because you pull your gun does not mean you will fire it... it just means that you are prepared to do so. This is extremely difficult to teach and learn. The only real assurance you have that you will have the intestinal fortitude to do something like this is if you have done it before.

SouthernBoy

Citation! (5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

Drawing and shooting, you got the cart before the horse. Leave your pisstol in your pants until you have to shoot. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Qui docet praeceptores

The phrase, "Defensive display is legal in many areas" in the context of open carry needs no CITE TO AUTHORITY; at least not in my state since open carry is the normal mode (read that as standard or default) of carry whereas concealed carry requires permission from our employees.