• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Conversation with a thirty-something lady in a progressive sporting goods store

rushcreek2

During the 5 years that I've openly carried in Colorado Springs I've never been asked - " Why do you carry a gun?"- and I've open carried pretty extensively. I've never been confronted by any inquiring mind other than the older fellow that recently rather dryly remarked that the contents of my holster looked " like a gun" - to which I responded ....." I sure hope so." He then asked if I was "worried?" - to which I replied ..."Nope." That was the extent of that inquiry.

My response if I am ever asked THAT particular question in a chastising, or condescending manner will be that I CHOOSE to carry a gun just as I CHOOSE to carry a spare tire in my vehicle, pay insurance premiums, and respond to folks who respect my RIGHT to make that choice.

I'll not suffer having my chain yanked, or my forward progress interrupted by some annoying jerk. That pretty much sums up my somewhat brusque disposition regarding these ANTI - Banty roosters & hens. Someone once said that a PICTURE is sometimes worth a thousand words. I try to present a "snap-shot" consistent with the the manner in which I have just explained myself.

Last edited:

WhatTimeIsIt?

I really don't understand that phrase: "I don't believe in guns". It's not like we're talking religion or ghosts or something, guns are 100% known to actually exist, the speaker obviously isn't arguing guns do not exist. If the person means they don't believe in using guns to defend themselves, they should say that. Of course, that clarity would begin to clear up their foggy mind, something they are desperately afraid of. They would also have to acknowledge that it would be wrong for another person, especially a cop, to protect them with a firearm. If it's wrong for them to defend their life with a firearm, how can it be right to pay someone else to defend them with one?
If the person then acknowledges that, saying they are a pacifist and don't believe in self-defense because human life is too valuable, they actually profess very little value to human life, especially their own. They value their own life so little, they take no steps to protect it. They will give up their life to the first person who comes along and tries to take it and they think you should too. They are professing the rule of the strong over the weak, the rule of the dishonest over the honest, the rule of the criminal over the citizen, that old notion that might makes right. Individual rights are unimportant, but the will of the majority is everything. Anytime someone says they are a pacifist, they say all these things.
Of course, someone will say they're a pacifist but them claim to support individual rights, but that is a contradiction. The most basic right is the right to live, but they deny it. It cannot be wrong to initiate lethal force and also wrong to use lethal force in response to lethal force. All the reasons why initiating lethal force is wrong are all the reasons why it is wrong not to use lethal force in response. Human life is incredibly valuable, but not every life is valued equally. Those who initiate lethal force have destroyed all of their own value and have attempted to unjustly destroy someone else's. Successful force in response ensures that the innocent person isn't destroyed, only the initiator of force, who already destroyed all of their value; this is justice.
Back to the original poster, you had a great conversation with that lady. You have begun to expose a contradiction in her code of ethics that can only exist as long as it remains clouded. She should be thankful that you have helped to clear her mind, but she probably felt anger. Anger, because she is terribly afraid of clearing up her mind and seeing the full realization of what it means to "not believe in guns".

rushcreek2

There are an unlimited number of matter of fact responses to one of these "sheep blats" .

"Why are you carrying a gun ?" ( They already KNOW WHY you carry a gun - They are just setting the OC'er up for an interrogatory during which they hope to FRAME THE ISSUE.)

ANSWERS:

"For the same reason that YOU and every soldier at Ft Hood should be carrying a gun.)

"Because the Colorado Springs police Department refuses to dispatch a patrol officer to come live with me."

"Because there is a segment of the local population that has opted to rob and murder people like YOU and me rather than get a job."

RETORT - "Well ! I"ve never been robbed !"

RESPONSE - "Well , I suspect that you haven't been murdered YET either."

The possibilities are endless. We just must NEVER allow these twerps to frame the issue, or place us on the defensive. THEY are the aberration in the armed citizenry controversy that THEY elect to promulgate.

I will gladly have a conversation with any respectful person who is genuinely seeking information regarding Colorado law on this subject, but I will not be cornered for the purpose of abuse in public by one of these blooming idiots.

MyWifeSaidYes

..."Why are you carrying a gun ?" ( They already KNOW WHY you carry a gun...

Heh, heh.

Them: "Why are you carrying a gun?"

Me, loudly and worried: "Oh my god! Are you too stupid to realize what a gun is for? Did your parents teach you nothing?"

I think that last part would be great if talking to some anti-gun octogenarian!

SFCRetired

Depends on how the person approaches me. If it's someone honestly seeking information, I'll do my best to have a polite dialogue with them.

If it's an anti-gun ninny trying to get up in my face, I'll give them the same answer I gave the gang-banger wannabe who asked me why I had a gun.

"You don't know?"

"You mean I didn't tell you?"

"Must be none of your damn business then."

So far, I have had no hoplophobe or libtard encounters, knock on wood, and I hope I don't have any.

Yard Sale

Nobody has ever asked me, "Why do you carry a gun?" but I suppose I would have to answer truthfully, "For shooting people." Should I qualify that? "For shooting people who would try to kill me."

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Nobody has ever asked me, "Why do you carry a gun?" but I suppose I would have to answer truthfully, "For shooting people." Should I qualify that? "For shooting people who would try to kill me."

Been nice knowing you. Do you want the file baked into a cake or a pie? What are visiting days at the jail?

I think I know what you are saying, but there are "more elegant" ways of saying it -

"For self defense"
"To defend myself and my loved ones against harm"
"In case someone tries to kill me"

Try to avoid the whole "killing" thing. We all know that becoming dead is a real possible consequence of getting shot, but the purpose of shooting someone is supposed to be to stop the imminent threat (of death or serious bodily injury) they were presenting.

Tell me any of those reasons is not absolutely truthful.

stay safe.

Kirbinator

By that same logic, no bad guys live in Baltimore, DC, Atlanta, Richmond or NYC--because I've been to all those cities, and never been robbed, raped, assaulted or murdered.

You can't fix stupid...

Stupid hurts.

I had the same conversation with a grocery store clerk one night at midnight. The sad fact of the matter is that the people who have that viewpoint just *can't* fathom that a thing like that would happen, until there's a gun in their face. It's one of those things you learn about the hard way. Then they demonize the instrument to cope with the PTSD. Shaking my head....

Yeah, you'd best start believing in guns. There's one right here, and it has the ability to kill you, just as soon as it leaves the holster.

Last edited:

William Fisher

Policeman have guns.

But they're here to protect us

Do you see any policeman here?

Well, no I don't.

Then their gun can't protect anyone here, and mine can. Would you agree with that?

HMMMFF, You just dont get it. (and walks away)

since9

Campaign Veteran
Even at a young age (7th grade?), I developed the instant comeback of: "That's better than being a dumb ass like you..."

Smart-ass... :) & Lol.

Update: I returned to the store yesterday, browsed a bit, and noticed the lady noticing me. She stopped what she was doing to went to the back. When she didn't return after about five minutes, I left. (shrugs)

O2HeN2

... people who have that viewpoint just *can't* fathom that a thing like that would happen, until there's a gun in their face.
Knife in their face. When bringing up hypotheticals I try to avoid using a gun as being the problem because folks like that fall back so quickly to the "Well, if we banned them for everyone except for the police and military that wouldn't be a problem, now would it?" position and now you're debating on two fronts.

O2

Last edited:

Dreamer

Policeman have guns.

But they're here to protect us

Do you see any policeman here?

Well, no I don't.

Then their gun can't protect anyone here, and mine can. Would you agree with that?

HMMMFF, You just dont get it. (and walks away)

Anytime someone tries to play the "police are there to protect you" card, I instantly bring up the Wiki page for "Warren vs. District of Columbia" on my iPhone and make them read it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia

If that doesn't change their mind, then they are, IMO, certifiably insane, and not worthy of engaging with further discussion...

Last edited:

Deanimator

"Lady: Well, no "bad guys" have ever given me trouble, so I don't believe in guns."

You: "Hmm, don't believe in guns, eh? Well I can assure you they exist."

Ask her what's in my sig then watch her squirm and wiggle until she comes up with something that escapes the obvious answer.
Better yet:

"Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the 'right' to fistfight with 210lb. rapists."

I've found that one ALWAYS gets the "OSHA for rapists" types going, ESPECIALLY the Brits.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Knife in their face. When bringing up hypotheticals I try to avoid using a gun as being the problem because folks like that fall back so quickly to the "Well, if we banned them for everyone except for the police and military that wouldn't be a problem, now would it?" position and now you're debating on two fronts.

O2

Excellent point. I also like to ask the hypothetical, "If someone 20 feet away from you were holding a knife, how long do you think it would take them to give you a fatal wound, even if you were in a hospital when you were wounded?"

They're shocked and in total disbelief when I mention "less than 1 second," until I explain precisely how that might happen.

FireFighterchen

Activist Member
Maybe this is an inappropriate answer...but why do you carry a gun?

Answer: Because, when a bad guy is choosing his next victim...he will choose you and not me.